Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Korin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. And then we all move to the land of chocolate and all enjoy a new Nintendo console that mainly uses a good old fasioned conttoller.

2. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim E3 Gameplay Demo

So this is the game ? Todd at its best. I guess he really enjoy that attention (but who would not ...)

Though I have to say. I am not impressed Mr. Howard. I still see a lot of "Oblivion" in here. And the animation and combat looks still shit ... but thats my oppinion.

3. Hellion

Hellion Antediluvian Lurker

Jun 20, 2003
    This deserves a bump...

http://mediamindfield.com/2011/06/21/new-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-details/

So, apparently the quest compass was not making the game easy enough. Now people have the option of learning a spell that takes them directly to quest givers.

Coming up next: the "PRESS 'TRIANGLE' TO FINISH THE GAME" spell. Only sold as DLC, of course.

4. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    They should add a spell that plays the game for you. Then you can sit on the couch and watch.

5. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    it should be also conected with the AWESOME button. When you presh a BUTTON! something AWSOME happens ! BUTTON! AWSOME! ... etc.

6. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    So you use the spell that plays the game for you, while you can press random buttons on the controller, which makes awesome things to happen.

7. vanzizzle

vanzizzle It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 15, 2010
    It's a spell.. This is like people complaining about being able to jack of all trades in fallout 3. Just don't do it.

Unless the quest compass stays in the game as a function that cannot be turned off.. Well.. Then
    I would agree. And gaming has begins targeting 5 year olds.

8. Courier

Courier Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Apr 10, 2011
    It's kind of hard not to be a Jack of all trades in Fallout 3. :|

9. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Last time I've read that, it was written that this spell activates some sort of magical "path" on the ground which leads directly to the questgiver, like it was in Fable, or Dead Space. Doesn't make it less retarded though.

10. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    If you play the game for a while, it's impossible not to become good in everything.

11. Courier

Courier Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Apr 10, 2011
    Pfft, Bethesda only releases DLC for TES that don't impact the game in any way, see horse armor for an example.

12. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    I think it's a great option for people who don't want to dick around in boring, lifeless towns and want to get to the point of the game, the action. It's also completely optional, like I hope whatever form their new quest compass takes is.

It's completely different from being a jack of all trades in Fallout 3, one is playing the game properly (jack of all trades) and the other is an optional spell.

13. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Oh WOW there. Way to miss the point ...

Lets forget for a moment that this "don't use it" is not the answer to everything but that it is actually about the "design" of today games particularly those made by Bethesda which seems to be intended for a target audience of 11 year old lobotomized monkey-children which have trouble to figure things out on their own. Morrowind was probably their last game which required a bit more brainpower and was the last game with at least a bit of complexity by Bethesda. After that all you got was more "shiny!" and "Bloom" but less "story" and "content". Now they seem to add to the shiny and bloom INFINTE DRAGONS even. We will have to wait and see. Oh and radiant quest-generator ... or what ever they call this stuff. I can already imagine how that thing will work ...

14. ZeusComplex

ZeusComplex Still Mildly Glowing

Feb 12, 2010
    I actually don't mind the spell. I hate quest markers and use what ever means to turn them off. But they do come in handy such as tracking people down that move all over the goddamn place along with non specified quest locations. At least with this spell, it's a in-game way to locate those things without quest markers. And you use it whenever you want to and not deal with a eyesore on your damn compass.

15. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    thats what I mean when I say "design".

You can tourn of the quest compass (there are mods for it) in Oblivion. But at that moment the game becomes a real pain because it never was designed to be played without it in the first place. Good quest and level design should ALWAYS come before such quest-markers or quest-compass garbage. It just makes game designers lazy. And this play-the-game-on-rail-roads-spelll just makes it worse. The idea is nice. Really. But I doubt it will be integrated in a meaningfull way like letz say the "detect evil" spell in some DnD games.

16. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    The "one trigger for each hand" control setup sounds fairly nice and could map well to the PC as far as left/right mouse buttons go.

I don't see the problem with replacing the quest arrow with a spell (unless the quest arrow remains... then ugh). If it was a spell, at least it theoretically has a cost (need to find/purchase it, spend mana and time casting it), and it fits a heck of a lot better into the game universe.

17. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Anyway, I just saw the trailer while watching South Park, and is it me, or the oh-so-hyped graphics looks really poor compared to a few recent and not-so recent games I've been playing?

18. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Does anyone here cares about how HD-er the graphics are? I am more interested in power of the engine to make a betetr experience, like if ti will allow to bigger space, more palces to go, better quests, more options, so when they release Fallout 4 using the same engine it owuld probably be better.

19. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I dunno about everyone here, but I kind of do, considering all the hype about it being the best-looking game ever and all. Plus, they do put a lot of emphasis on first-person visual immersion, and if the graphics aren't up to snuff, that kinda ruins is.

I'm also not really talking about high resolutions here or w/e, more like awkward animations and rough-looking models.

20. Wintermind

Wintermind Vault Senior Citizen

Jan 21, 2011
    It's quite nice when games look astoundingly pretty, yes. It's not my driving influence behind a game, but horrific graphics can ruin something.

It's also not the best looking game ever, Uncharted still holds the title for 'prettiest shit I've ever played' and Skyrim doesn't look like it'll change that.