Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I think that enemies like draugrs are scaled to your level somewhat, but special enemies are still hard as fuck.
Tried to fight a Draugr Death Overlord at level 15, not a pretty sight.

well, for me in the proper part of the crypt where you go alone the weakest was restless draugr, while most were draugr wrights. Also draugr scourge and draugr deathlord (on wiki it says he is level 30 with ebony weapon, no suprise that he takes me out in 2 hits) and I haven't finished it yet. Yes, I farmed levels a little (now 24) so the case seems obvious. No level scaling - my ass :/

Reconite said:
Lexx said:
They have 0 character and nothing that makes them special in any kind of way.
Speaking of which, has anyone else tried to retarded "marriage" thing in Skyrim? It's absolutely pathetic, like Bethesda took something from a lonely neckbeard's Oblivion mod and gave it voice acting. To get married you literally have to go through like 1 or 2 lines of dialogue. :lol:

I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6IGOomaaw

I'm sure there's more awfulness in the actual game, but GAWD, marriage in Fable 1 had more character, and it's not exactly a high standard...

Hi, I think I found a bugged quest or something, in Windhelm I started the find the serial killer quest, now I am compeltely sure I know who the culpcrit is

[spoiler:5e0d5b49c6] It's Calixto, I pickpoketed him and used his key to open his chest, there I found a Diary )that I can't read properly, the top art goes off-screen),an iron dagger, a bunch of embaling tools and a bunch of Linen Wraps, now the murder victims were cut with a knife and bits fo them were removed with a curved object that could only be an embaling tool according to the coroner lady, so the only logical thign to conclude is that Calixto is the killer. Problem is, the quest is not actualizing, none of the related NPCs have a dialogue option to reprot this and Calixto seems to be essential, so what teh fuck? did I get ahead of te quest and I gotta do somethign else? the quest tells me to examine the crime scene but there is no interactable objects there, anyoen has any idea what I have to do?[/spoiler:5e0d5b49c6]

Ausdoerrt said:
I'm sure there's more awfulness in the actual game, but GAWD, marriage in Fable 1 had more character, and it's not exactly a high standard...
I generally hate marriage in sandbox games as the relationships tend not to be developed at all. It's very barbie-playhouse. I can also see how poorly optimzed the UI is for PC in that video. I have a XBox 360 controller for my computer so I could get around that to a certain extent but I prefer playing FPS games with a mouse and keyboard.

@Enemy scaling: It's not inherently bad, in fact the concept is a good one, especially for a sand-box game, it's just that it's generally poorly executed. When you truly can go anywhere and do quests in drastically different orders, there's a fair amount to be said for having scaling. After all, it's not a whole lot of fun to do a level 3 quest when you're level 30. That said, there is a balance to be struck and you really shouldn't be scaling the whole game 1-1. Parts need to be easier and others harder. Enemies should also always be interesting, meaning different behavior patterns, attack types, special abilities, group tactics, etc. If anything is a common failing in RT RPG-based games, it's this.

Crni Vuk said:
SmartCheetah said:
When looking at this I really feel "sorry" that I talk sometimes so much "bullshit" about those people (simply because I do quite much art by my self which has the quality of concept art seen there).
Well, that's something I felt at the beggining as well. Looks like they are people who love their work and really enjoy making games like Skyrim. I'm just curious if they are playing their own products after it hits the shelves. You know "Random Beth employee: Damn, our game is pretty cool but AI freaking sucks!"
"Todd: Oh come on, kids are still buying it and reviewers keep scores at 95%+ Noone cares 'bout AI!"

I generally hate marriage in sandbox games as the relationships tend not to be developed at all. It's very barbie-playhouse.

To be fair, most of the stuff you usually do in a sandbox game outside of questing is "barbie-playhouse". I don't think the target audience would want it any other way. It's not a dating sim, after all.

Though they could afford to have not-so-deadpan characters for marriage. At least make it entertaining.

Xellos said:
well, for me in the proper part of the crypt where you go alone the weakest was restless draugr, while most were draugr wrights. Also draugr scourge and draugr deathlord (on wiki it says he is level 30 with ebony weapon, no suprise that he takes me out in 2 hits) and I haven't finished it yet. Yes, I farmed levels a little (now 24) so the case seems obvious. No level scaling - my ass :/
I do not understand where the fun is in wasting time replaying a hard fight that's only hard because of the stupidity of the game designer or because they thought it should be hard when you can just tgm their asses and be done with it.

Level scaling seems similar to the Fallouts; equipment in shop and random drop scales, the rest doesn't. Enemies don't all get stronger, but tougher versions of them appear (Bandit/Bandit outlaw/Bandit thug/Bandit plunderer, what next, Bandit Jaywalkers?). My problem is that, beyond massive HP bars, not much seems to differenciate the tougher versions. Seriously, high level bandits wear bog-standard iron armor but can absorb more punishments that trolls?

And about that. Magic is utterly broken at high levels, because spell damage doesn't scale. Weapon damage does; with better weapons, but also various enchantments giving bonus to 1-handers/2-handers, perks and sneak attacks. Spells stay the exact same in damage, and get up to 100% in damage increase from perks. So your 25 damage spell will become at most a 50 damage spell, and is the only (say) Fire spell that is not AoE, and thus does not fry you as well as that troll bearing down on your sorry ass. Alright, fine and dandy, at level 10-20 it's still a nice spell, you can use two of them at a time and charge em up with a perk. But at very high levels, when enemies have hundreds if not thousands of HP (not counting difficulty bonuses), your (max) 200 damage attack every 4 seconds that burns half your mana bar barely tickles them. Enchantements can only reduce the Magicka cost, not improve damage, but that doesn't really help when monsters kill you in 5 seconds.

Meanwhile, the warrior has a 60-ish damage weapon on both hands, enchantments can give him something like 300% bonus damage, Power Attacks that deal even more, untold amounts of health and armor, and generally requires not much strategy beyond clicking stuff until it dies and chuck health potions when needed. Internal balance is utterly wrecked at higher levels, mages are harder to play and offer much less payoff for more effort. Even now, my level 6 mage has a much harder time than my warrior had at his level, because I barely do more damage than a meathead with a claymore, and if a guy sneaks up behind me I die in 2 hits.

Ausdoerrt said:
Reconite said:
Lexx said:
They have 0 character and nothing that makes them special in any kind of way.
Speaking of which, has anyone else tried to retarded "marriage" thing in Skyrim? It's absolutely pathetic, like Bethesda took something from a lonely neckbeard's Oblivion mod and gave it voice acting. To get married you literally have to go through like 1 or 2 lines of dialogue. :lol:
I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6IGOomaaw
Fucking hilarious video. :lol:

Love how IGN is now apparently advertising glitches/bugs in the game, like they would show gameplay videos for any other game.

When looking at this I really feel "sorry" that I talk sometimes so much "bullshit" about those people.

Pretty much sums up my feeling towards Skyrim. There are of course many things that they've done wrong again (Zodiac Signs? Regenerating health?) but i think the game has soul, this i couldn't say of Oblivion.

I have always played Nord in TES games and read all books about them, and i have to say the ability to use the Thu'um in this game is just beyond awesome for me - and the nordic setting is probably why i like the game so much.

SmartCheetah said:
Crni Vuk said:
SmartCheetah said:
When looking at this I really feel "sorry" that I talk sometimes so much "bullshit" about those people (simply because I do quite much art by my self which has the quality of concept art seen there).
Well, that's something I felt at the beggining as well. Looks like they are people who love their work and really enjoy making games like Skyrim. I'm just curious if they are playing their own products after it hits the shelves. You know "Random Beth employee: Damn, our game is pretty cool but AI freaking sucks!"
"Todd: Oh come on, kids are still buying it and reviewers keep scores at 95%+ Noone cares 'bout AI!"

Actually thats why I tend to blame todd quite much for the "end product". He is the guy who has the last word in it after all. If I understand it correctly.

It is very hard today to motivate and direct a team of 60 or 80 and even more people in a direction that really fits with what you have in "head". But this is what separates the true masters of game developers/directors with the stuff EA throws out sometimes (See the C&C topic). It is very difficult to make your visions true if you try it by your self. But explaining it to others makes it even more difficult. Because there is only so much you can with words. - Thats where good artistic skills come in to play many great movie directors do scrabbles for example which help the team to understand the situation better, pose, effects etc.

Though I have the feeling Todd is someone who enjoys a very particular kind of game. And those might not be "deep" RPGs or "hardcore" RPGs (how they are sadly called today ... I HATE this words ... what is so "hardcore" about the old RPGs anyway ? That they have been a niche product ? Some people today enjoy down hill bikes even though the mountain bike is more common does that mean the downhill bike should be replaced by the mountain bikes ?). I mean Todd even explained it by himself that there have been many things he didn't liked in Fallout 1 where you could literally block your self "out" from quests (what a surprize, insult the quest giver and he will kick your ass ... thats kinda role playing in some way).

PainlessDocM said:
Their games somehow receive astronomically high ratings and generate millions of dollars* so I would guess they are satisfied and will most likely continue making this type of "rpg" no matter how disappointed "a few" fans of the classic rpg's are with the direction the genre has been going for the last decade or so.
I can see this of course only from my point of view and I am rather the "artist" when it comes to things - in other words I am not normal.

Which means even if people think something I did is awesome it has to meet my own standards. A game can get many rewards and praise. But if it is an adventure game while you wanted to make an RPG ...

I think you know what I am aiming at.

Crni Vuk said:
Which means even if people think something I did is awesome it has to meet my own standards. A game can get many rewards and praise. But if it is an adventure game while you wanted to make an RPG ...

I think you know what I am aiming at.

They weren't aiming for an RPG, they were aiming for Skyrim.

Anyway, an artist is never satisfied with their work, it's why most of us are always depressed over it. :V

I played a Nord the first time because the main quest is rather heroic, but goddamn i can't get over how awesome they made Argonians look this time around, they look like evolved Velociraptors :lol:

Gonna play an Argonian philosopher-mage in my second game
byovpvxamkbe4h6ie.jpg
:lol:

Yea, they're a big step up from Oblivion argonians. The talk animation for them is surprisingly good as well.

He forgets to mention how a lot of the menu is baked in so rebinding the keys doesn't show up on the menus and even mucks some of it up.
Mods already fixed that though.

Ilosar said:
Level scaling seems similar to the Fallouts; equipment in shop and random drop scales, the rest doesn't. Enemies don't all get stronger, but tougher versions of them appear (Bandit/Bandit outlaw/Bandit thug/Bandit plunderer, what next, Bandit Jaywalkers?). My problem is that, beyond massive HP bars, not much seems to differenciate the tougher versions. Seriously, high level bandits wear bog-standard iron armor but can absorb more punishments that trolls?

And about that. Magic is utterly broken at high levels, because spell damage doesn't scale. Weapon damage does; with better weapons, but also various enchantments giving bonus to 1-handers/2-handers, perks and sneak attacks. Spells stay the exact same in damage, and get up to 100% in damage increase from perks. So your 25 damage spell will become at most a 50 damage spell, and is the only (say) Fire spell that is not AoE, and thus does not fry you as well as that troll bearing down on your sorry ass. Alright, fine and dandy, at level 10-20 it's still a nice spell, you can use two of them at a time and charge em up with a perk. But at very high levels, when enemies have hundreds if not thousands of HP (not counting difficulty bonuses), your (max) 200 damage attack every 4 seconds that burns half your mana bar barely tickles them. Enchantements can only reduce the Magicka cost, not improve damage, but that doesn't really help when monsters kill you in 5 seconds.

Meanwhile, the warrior has a 60-ish damage weapon on both hands, enchantments can give him something like 300% bonus damage, Power Attacks that deal even more, untold amounts of health and armor, and generally requires not much strategy beyond clicking stuff until it dies and chuck health potions when needed. Internal balance is utterly wrecked at higher levels, mages are harder to play and offer much less payoff for more effort. Even now, my level 6 mage has a much harder time than my warrior had at his level, because I barely do more damage than a meathead with a claymore, and if a guy sneaks up behind me I die in 2 hits.

How does weapon damage scale? That sounds weird, are you sure about that?

Even in oblivion it didn't scale, the damage got better as your skill got better and at high levels you got better weapons (until level 25-30 that is).

Many spells became worthless in oblivion but you could create your own (as you advanced in levels) in a way that you could kill anything in max 3 hits.

For example - 100% weakness to magika for 3 seconds, 100% weakness to fire for 3 seconds, 100 fire damage.

Can you create spells like that in skyrim? I think that that's a very good go-around for "scaling" spells.

How does weapon damage scale? That sounds weird, are you sure about that?

Even in oblivion it didn't scale, the damage got better as your skill got better and at high levels you got better weapons (until level 25-30 that is).

I mean you get better weapons and can improve them via smithing (which is a very good system, the crafting in general is nicely done in Skyrim) and you get bonus damage via perks, AND some enchantments give you from 15% to 80% of bonus damage to either one-handed or two-handed weapons. You can add these enchantments to weapons, pieces of armor, rings and amulets. Do the math.

Many spells became worthless in oblivion but you could create your own (as you advanced in levels) in a way that you could kill anything in max 3 hits.

For example - 100% weakness to magika for 3 seconds, 100% weakness to fire for 3 seconds, 100 fire damage.

Can you create spells like that in skyrim? I think that that's a very good go-around for "scaling" spells.

There is no spell creation in Skyrim. You have from 10 to 15 spells per scholl (for a total of about 100) and their effectiveness is fixed; Flames will always do 8 damage per second, or 16 if you max the relevant perk. It cannot do more damage than that apart from using poisons of Weakness to Fire/Magicka (as there is no such spell in existence). You can only reduce the Magicka cost. Other spells do more damage, but have different patterns; runes on the ground, Area Effect, single target, ect. As a result, spell damage caps at around level 25; sure, beyond that you reduce their magicka cost, but nothing will make you kill things faster with Destruction magic. Meanwhile, warriors almost never stop getting better until your gear is fully Daedric weapons/Dragon armor and enchanted to give you like 400% bonus damage. It's pretty obvious that, in terms of magic, Beth tought about flashyness before fonctionality or even basic internal balance.

Also, that article about the user interface is spot in. One of the worst UIs I have seen in gaming, ever. When they said they would take inspiration from Apple, I didn't think it would be THAT bad...

Back