Fallout 3: Fallout At It's Finest

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by Heisenberg, Feb 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Carbon Dated and Proud

Nov 26, 2007
    Why not?
    People still use the 1903 Springfield, the Browning Hi-Power, the Colt M1911...

As pertains to very recent guns... that's a little different. I [me personally] would say that any firearm we have is fair game to a point (and we are nowhere near 2077 yet)... however, I would like to see alternate history choices made on the side of 50's aesthetics. You know... like choosing the 10mm.

2. Morgan_

Morgan_ Duckerz

Jul 3, 2020
    They say it breaks the lore due to the timeline split.

3. KingArthur

KingArthur The Blobtit of Blaviken

Jun 25, 2018
    Browning discontinued the Hi-Power iirc. That’s sad, my uncle has one that I shot once. Nice handling.

4. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    What timeline split? Bethesda are nuts; they'll tell you that transistors are out because they never happened in their invented timeline split. I don't see why they can't have those and simply not find them as popular to use; tubes are more resistant to radiation. The people in Fallout are not stupid, and there weren't plasma rifles in the late 40's & 50's. They just lean towards a 50's ideal of the future.

Fallout isn't even our own Earth, it was a [one-shot] GURPS campaign setting of a future world as our 50's envisioned it.... including green mutating goo, and atomic blasts creating ghoulish monsters. Living beings like Richard Grey.

*I bet they picked 1947 because wikipedia lists that as the year transistors were made. :whatever:

** It's been years, and so I may be remiss, but do the games or the FO:Bible mention a hard timeline split? I guess I'll have to check.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Norzan

Norzan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 7, 2017
    Timeline split better be some Bethesda bullshit so that i can safely ignore it.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. KingArthur

Jun 25, 2018
    The timeline split happened right before… 2008, look at that. So we can safely ignore Bethesda anything.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  7. Morgan_

Morgan_ Duckerz

Jul 3, 2020
    I thought the timeline split happened with the transistor failing to be invented and then it spreads out further until we get the Fallout universe we have now. Same world as ours in terms of everything up until that point.

8. Norzan

Norzan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 7, 2017
    Also this. Fallout's setting is supposed to be an alternate Earth, meaning that while it shares many things with our Earth, the timeline of events wasn't exactly the same since the beginning. It's not meant to be a "it was the same as our Earth until a certain point, but then everything changed" type of Earth.

So Fallout can use real world guns just fine if it wishes to.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  9. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 7, 2015
    I'm pretty sure the timeline split was a fan theory originally posted on NMA that got wildly popular until it was generally accepted conventional wisdom.

10. KingArthur

Jun 25, 2018
    Phuck

11. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Resident Schizo Poster

Jun 15, 2015
    Inon Zur is a talented composer. He worked on New Vegas and I sometimes listen to his works when I am modding or writing. He captures the post apocalyptic feeling and mood well. His soundtrack for Fallout 4 was one of its few saving graces.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  12. KingArthur

Jun 25, 2018
    Holy shit they’re agreeing on something

MOM GET THE CAMERA

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  13. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Resident Schizo Poster

Jun 15, 2015
    Come on dude. How can you not love the Legion soundtrack?

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  14. Morgan_

Morgan_ Duckerz

Jul 3, 2020
    Time2fuck has arrived?

sex.gif

On topic: Inon Zur is such a cool name.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  15. KingArthur

Jun 25, 2018
    upload_2021-6-17_22-28-29.jpeg

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  16. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 7, 2015
    The music for NV really is insanely good, one of the more overlooked aspects IMO. The only atrocious parts are the repeating military songs that play at the Dam, the Fort, and similar military locales, lifted directall from Fo3

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  17. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Archives Overseer

Mar 16, 2013
    I wasn't a fan of his Fallout 4 score. It sounded too fantasy for my tastes. Liked his work in 3 and NV though.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  18. JustAShcookius

JustAShcookius It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 4, 2020
    I must agree here on the Fallout 4 OST. Although I do echo the distaste for ripped off Fallout 3 music in NV.

I found the Fallout 4 OST to be too hopeful and too generic. It was also very, very repetitive. It reminded me of the Far Cry 5 soundtrack that blares violins and banjos as you massacre an entire county. It simply doesn't fit.

Fallout 4 was such a bright and hopeful game that the OST actually failed to meet up all the way. It was like a sour postscript on the whole experience.

You might appreciate this. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of those hidden gem games that captures an ambience brilliantly. I ultimately dont care what genre a game is (unless its fantasy dragons shit), as long as a game can sell an honest atmosphere and pushes me out of my comfort zone, consider me a fan.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  19. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    IIRC, Obsidian was given [much of?] the FO3 assets to use in NV. The deadline was tight.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  20. Jogre

Jogre So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 25, 2015
    One thing I always found interesting about New Vegas, is that a huge chunk of the music is actually fairly recent, dating to the 90s and 2000s, but is just from obscure artists so nobody really notices the difference.

Lone Star, Let's Ride in to the Sunset Together and In The Shadow of the Valley are all written by a swing band who seem to make most of their money licensing songs for TV shows.
    I will admit, the idea of the Enclave developing a new type of Aircraft AND Power Armour, while on an oil rig is pretty stupid. Like new tech developing in the Fallout Universe is a good thing but it's like, I'm not fully convinced that they could adequately get all of the raw materials and parts needed to manufacture something so advanced, while having very limited presence on the mainland.

That said, it's a pointless retcon that exists for no reason. I don't really think "I personally found it dumb" is a good reason to rewrite the franchise.
    Thing is, my biggest criticism of Fallout 3 isn't lore shit or whatever, but rather that it offers basically nothing original to the franchise. All the major plot elements are basically just rehashes of concepts from 1 and 2, and all the towns are basically one note, with very little complexity. This means that in order to be good/legitimate to my eyes, a Fallout 3 rewrite would have to have so many original ideas and towns, that it would basically at that point become unrecognisable as Fallout 3.

This is going to sound like an exagguration but I think Fallout 3 is so generic, that it's not really worth trying to fix. The only thing that really distinguishes the Capital Wasteland from literally anywhere else in the Fallout setting, is the fact that it's in Washington DC.

A piece of media that's insulting at least has potential to be rewritten because the core ideas are still there. I think it's basically an impossible task to rewrite something this derivative.