Fallout 4 coming out on November 10, free mobile spin-off out now

'Todd this you talkin' or the explosions?'

attachment.php

Attachments

• theexplosions.jpg
    theexplosions.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 562
That kill montage video made me think of a combination of RAGE and other faster FPS games. The strategy element was hardly on display and it seems they got rid of pause altogether in favor of slow-motion. I'm assuming the story was barely on display, seeing as Todd didn't want to talk about it, because there isn't much to it?

And that's sad to me. As an original FO fan, there is nothing there that particularly peaked my interest, as there seemed to be a lack of things I'd rather see instead, namely - well-crafted dialogue and lots of it, with plenty of choices (where as your character can talk dumb or smart depending on how you build them), strategic slower-paced combat to think things through in a given situation, an impactful/emotionally-invested well-told story, enhanced follower system to better position them and tell them what to fire at, any kind of iron-man mode where the death of your followers is possible making it tougher going down the road, etc.

It seems like they are going more for an Sandbox "do-anything" with lots of actiony FPS elements that happens to look like Fallout but lacks the Soul of a deeply, intricate RPG. And that's not Fallout to me. They innovated in areas with crafting (etc.) and seemed to take two steps back on what FO used to be - and from the looks of it there is still no optional top-down turn-based view. At least in Dragon Age they threw old-school players a bone with a tactical view.

I say just forget about the Fallout name... pretend it's called something else. When the game comes out take it for what is. Imagine it's a new franchise inspired by Fallout if you will.

*Shrugs* Nothing will change my opinion on Betheseda dumbing down Fallout into a non-strategic aimless Wanderer themepark. I don't care if people like or dislike the new ones, and I don't intend to buy FO4 anyways (not at release). Actually scratch that, I did think about buying the Pip Boy Edition for the sole purpose of reselling it for way more on EBay to some helpless soul. I could always try it when its 5 bucks on sale 5 years from now since that's how much I think its worth (or free on torrent).

I have enough games as is to worry about where Fallout has sadly gone. I can replay FO 1/2 to reminisce while playing other new games like the Witcher series, Wasteland 2, and better games with top-notch story telling.

Last edited:
Yeah, no. Now that 90% of games have stats and perks and the like is even more important to distinguish between "RPG" and "game with RPG elements". Otherwise you'll reach a point where the label means nothing. It's like those people arguing that every game is an RPG because in pretty much every game you play a role. Well, great, sure, ok. What's the point of having such a label if the label is meaningless then?

The original Deus Ex (2000) would make some games of today labelled as RPG blush in embarrassment and back then it was considered an FPS-RPG hybrid, go figure.
Genres are supposed to be vague and all encompassing. Obviously it is not as vague as you just said, no-one here has said that so I have no idea why you are randomly going off about that. It includes a few key features already listed been talked about many times, just read Centurion 101's post. If you want to talk about something more specific just use the terms action RPG or cRPG or whatever. Genres evolve and the meanings of them are defined by common usage, just like with other words. The term RPG has evolved with the introduction of new elements (such as first person combat and a favouring of perks over skills) to it whether you like it or not.

And with that evolution comes that fact that no-one cares what Deus Ex was considered "back then".

Genres are supposed to be vague and encompassing up to a certain point. Referring to Mass Effect as an RPG has nothing to do with the term "evolving" (?). If the terms Action RPG or "[insert genre] with RPG elements" exist why not use them? Having different genres being referred with the same label isn't evolution of the language, quite the contrary I'd say.

And that's sad to me. As an original FO fan, there is nothing there that particularly peaked my interest, as there seemed to be a lack of things I'd rather see instead, namely - well-crafted dialogue and lots of it, with plenty of choices (where as your character can talk dumb or smart depending on how you build them), strategic slower-paced combat to think things through in a given situation, an impactful/emotionally-invested well-told story, enhanced follower system to better position them and tell them what to fire at, any kind of iron-man mode where the death of your followers is possible, etc.

It seems like they are going more for an Sandbox "do-anything" with lots of actiony FPS elements that happens to look like Fallout but lacks the Soul of a deeply, intricate RPG. And that's not Fallout to me. They innovated in areas with crafting (etc.) and seemed to take two steps back on what FO used to be - and from the looks of it there is still no optional top-down turn-based view.

They don't care about that. If it doesn't make a lot of money then they don't care. The dumb popcorn shoving masses want action, EXPLOSIONS!, animals, cheap forced emotional moments, romance and no consequences to the action that their characters make. :twitch: Something that is intelligent, requires you to think and had some thought and heart put into how it was made doesn't sell as well as Call of Duty clone number 690! :ugly:

They don't care about that. If it doesn't make a lot of money then they don't care. The dumb popcorn shoving masses want action, EXPLOSIONS!, animals, cheap forced emotional moments, romance and no consequences to the action that their characters make. :twitch: Something that is intelligent, requires you to think and had some thought and heart put into how it was made doesn't sell as well as Call of Duty clone number 690! :ugly:
Yes we get it, you are so intelligent and everyone else is stupid. How many times do you have to parrot it? You like different games to some people, it is hardly something to act all high and mighty about.

Last edited:
The thing that bothers me most is the hitmarkers. It represents the complete abandonment of strategy and thinking. The way you should know if you hit something is if you see the enemy react to it or you see their health go down. CAWADOODEY has to give constant visual feedback to its players so it does crap like hitmarkers and other crap popping up on screen every 2 seconds. Even more hardcore FPS like CS or Arma don't have hitmarkers because if you have a brain in your head you should know if you hit and killed something or not, and if you failed to you should find out the hard way. Of course this game is being made for people who don't want to think so it makes sense for Beth to implement this. I know it seems nitpicky but this is why it bothered me so much.

Yes we get it, you are so intelligent and everyone else is stupid. How many times do you have to parrot it? You like different games to some people, it is hardly something to act all high and mighty about.

Sorry if I don't fall in line with the other barking seals who are prematurely praising this game like its the second coming. The fanboyism for this game is almost as bad as Mass Effect 3.

Sorry if I don't fall in line with the other barking seals who are prematurely praising this game like its the second coming. The fanboyism for this game is almost as bad as Mass Effect 3.
And you can dislike the game without all these needless childish attacks. All I see you doing is lambasting people for the horrible crime of liking different games to you. They are not dumb for liking this games, get some perspective.

So aparently the Kotaku leak states that it is the protagonist's dad who was a war veteran and not him? I guess we can still avoid that cliche at the very least....

So aparently the Kotaku leak states that it is the protagonist's dad who was a war veteran and not him? I guess we can still avoid that cliche at the very least....
Yeah, but it's gonna be hard to roleplay as a Chinese-American former Counterintelligence officer with Gruffy mcBruceWillis' voice. It's gonna be hard to roleplay as anybody other than a white guy actually.

Finding a Gutsy that says:

"READY TO DIE YE COMMIE LOVIN' SUNNUVABITCH" is gonna be way more funnier now.

NMA sure is getting mentioned around the web. Usually in negative ways.

And you can dislike the game without all these needless childish attacks. All I see you doing is lambasting people for the horrible crime of liking different games to you. They are not dumb for liking this games, get some perspective.

I have never attack anyone for liking games that I don't like. You are putting words in my mouth. All I said is that devs today are marketing big AAA titled games to the dumb popcorn shoving masses which they are. By the way, all I have seen you do since you came here is troll and attack people for not liking the same games as you. Sorry if we don't "appreciate" Bethesda "genius."

It seems like they are going more for an Sandbox "do-anything" with lots of actiony FPS elements that happens to look like Fallout but lacks the Soul of a deeply, intricate RPG. And that's not Fallout to me. They innovated in areas with crafting (etc.) and seemed to take two steps back on what FO used to be - and from the looks of it there is still no optional top-down turn-based view.

I sympathize. There was a time when this would have really bothered me, but now...eh.

What's your experience with Pencil and Paper RPGs? Have you played any White Wolf? Shadowrun? GURPs? D20? Battletech (Mechwarrior/Time of War)? Etc.

The reason I ask is that a that their game systems vary considerably, and those systems influence the campaigns you run- but the game's aren't necessarily tied to a particular system.

If I wanted to run a Van Buren campaign for my friends, I could use Fallout's original system with 2D10. Or I could go with White Wolf's D10 system, that's more abstract and trades detail for freedom. Or incorporate Savage World for speed, or Mechwarrior/Time of War for a similar feel to Fallout's system with D6.

That's how I tend to approach Fallout 3 and 4 by the way. Black Isle was a "GM" that wanted to try something new, and created the Fallout universe for a campaign they wanted to run on the west coast. The campaign ran for two Acts (Fallout and Fallout 2)

Their 'little brother' at Interplay wanted to play too, and so Black Isle gave them some of their notes and told them to buzz off and do their own thing- they ran their campaign in Chicago with FUZZY DEATHCLAWS and GUNS GUNS GUNS before getting bored, and switching to FALLOUT CONDOMS and MOAR GUNS and EXPLOSIONS. Also, they swapped out the 'boring' dice system for a faster paced one that focused on action (Tactics: Squad Based Gameplay and PoS: Third Person shoot'em up).

Then, near the end of Act 3 (Van Buren), the Black Isle GM had to drop the campaign unexpectedly. The players (us) were left hanging, which is where Bethesda stepped in and offered to take over the GM chair. Because they didn't want to intrude on the previous GM's campaign, they left Act 3 unfinished, and started a new set of Acts on the opposite side of the United States.

Because they're not skilled at the system Black Isle was using, they switched the dice system to one they're more familiar with (FPS and more 'on rails')- it doesn't hurt that their already existing players who wanted to try their new Acts preferred the same dice system that Bethesda was familiar with. They ran Act 1 [East] with the new system.

Then a friend of Black Isle approached Bethesda wondering if they could continue the original set of acts, and used the new system- creating Act IV [West]. Bethesda is now running their Act 2 [East]

If the rumours are true, we may yet see the original GM return to finish Act 3 [West] (Van Buren).

I don't know if that makes sense, but if you've read this far I think the conclusion of this metaphor is relatively easy.

As we're the players, we all enjoy different dice systems and prefer one to the other. Some of us can enjoy both (or even more) "dice systems". Some dislike the way a GM does their campaigns- but at the end of the day, it's all "Fallout". What dice system, and who runs the campaign can change the flavour however.

To put it another way, if two people on these forums ran a PnP Van Buren gaming group, I'm sure even though they use the same material, both games would feel very, very different depending on the players and the GM in question.

So in other words you're saying Todd and Bethesda are doing the right thing by giving their customers exactly what they want?

Holy crap, I didn't expect to see Bethesda praise in this thread! :clap:

Last edited:
Learn how to edit your posts dudes. Double Posting makes the board look like shit. :V

So in other words you're saying Todd and Bethesda are doing the right thing by giving their customers exactly what they want?

Holy crap, I didn't expect to see Bethesda praise in this thread! :clap:

What do you mean? No one wanted a voiced protagonist, a dialogue wheel ripped off from Mass Effect, bad dialogue, a heavy empathizes on weapons, or no skill points or traits. If you mean to the crowd who hated NV because it was more of an RPG then yes they did listen to them because Fallout 4 is looking to be a game not made for fans of New Vegas or the old Fallout games.

Back