Fallout: The Series now the most successful Amazon show ever

Or they actually liked it.

Part of what I struggle with discourse wise is the assumption of, "Just because someone likes or dislikes something, this is objectively the right opinion." It's the thing I hate most about internet discourse and the most eye rolling thing about it these days. There's essentially no value to holding opinions that go against the majority and outright anger when you do.

At some point, we lost the value that some people can like something even if we don't and that's okay.

I can't help but think that's because of internet commentary and I worry about falling prey to it myself. The urge to just take it personally when my opinions are not shared.

Just because the masses like this show, that doesn't make it good. That's called "Argumentum ad Populum"/Appeal to Populism, a logical fallacy.

99.99% of them are ignorant of what Fallout is, its themes, the history of the series, or its influences. At best, they've played F4 and/or 76. Their opinions are not worth acknowledging, or leaning on.

Lord of the Rings on the other hand, people know who J.R.R.Tolkien is and was, and they know what he wrote. That's why Rings of Power was rightly called a shitshow from Day 1. Fallout skated around that label because it wasn't as well known, but when you get more eyes on the IP, like Fallout 4 did, then you get more critics who will eventually correct the record.

Just because the masses like this show, that doesn't make it good. That's called "Argumentum ad Populum"/Appeal to Populism, a logical fallacy.

99.99% of them are ignorant of what Fallout is, its themes, the history of the series, or its influences. At best, they've played F4 and/or 76. Their opinions are not worth acknowledging, or leaning on.

Lord of the Rings on the other hand, people know who J.R.R.Tolkien is and was, and they know what he wrote. That's why Rings of Power was rightly called a shitshow from Day 1. Fallout skated around that label because it wasn't as well known, but when you get more eyes on the IP, like Fallout 4 did, then you get more critics who will eventually correct the record.

You do realize my point is, "Isn't it fucking ridiculous that people assume that their's an objective good or bad in this show? How up your own ass do you have to think there can't simply be people who like it or hate for valid reasons."

Right?

I was flat out criticizing myself for such an asinine view.

Too often I feel like we work ourselves up over the idea there's a "correct" way to consume media.

You do realize my point is, "Isn't it fucking ridiculous that people assume that their's an objective good or bad in this show? How up your own ass do you have to think there can't simply be people who like it or hate for valid reasons."

And yet you started by implying maybe Tim liked the show, after several of us pointed out how the gaming industry, which he is still a part of, would cold shoulder him in a heartbeat if he said he didn't like it. That's essentially coercion, so no, no one should believe him when he says it's good.

And yet you started by implying maybe Tim liked the show, after several of us pointed out how the gaming industry, which he is still a part of, would cold shoulder him in a heartbeat if he said he didn't like it. That's essentially coercion, so no, no one should believe him when he says it's good.

Did you miss the part where I criticized myself for that attitude too?

Sorry, I changed my opinion.

It's a bad idea to think in terms of shows of objectively great or awesome or that people can't love shows and hate them that are mixtures of both.

it hardly matters tho. sometimes people who created a series get it wrong. theyre people too. agreeing with tim cain that the show is a good fallout entry when it CLEARLY isnt is like agreeing with george lucas when he says the star wars prequels are good. Gene Roddenberry wouldve hated deep space nine. don mancini has jumped the shark with chucky like 8 times now. its appeal to authority. which is a logical fallacy

Right?

I was flat out criticizing myself for such an asinine view.

Too often I feel like we work ourselves up over the idea there's a "correct" way to consume media.
Thanks for clarifying, I assumed you were just being hypocritical. Apparently everyone else did too lol.

Nah, everything is objectively shit, everything is garbage. You are wrong when you say something is good.

Now let me go play my garbage games and watch garbage tv shows.

It really does seem goofy to hold up the fallout show as good when shows like the shield, sopranos, fargo, boardwalk empire, breaking bad, better call saul, battlestar galactica, Babylon Berlin, and countless other examples completely obliterate it. Taste is subjective sure but quality certainly isn't. If you bought a shirt with a giant hole on the back of it you can say "well I like it" all you want it's not gonna delete the hole

Last edited:
It really does seem goofy to hold up the fallout show as good when shows like the shield, sopranos, fargo, boardwalk empire, breaking bad, better call saul, battlestar galactica, Babylon Berlin, and countless other examples completely obliterate it. Taste is subjective sure but quality certainly isn't. If you bought a shirt with a giant hole on the back of it you can say "well I like it" all you want it's not gonna delete the hole

I mean that sounds suspiciously like a lot of arguments I hear in academia (I have my Masters in Literature) that science fiction and fantasy are trash because they're not deep and serious. Fallout: The Series is an adventure comedy and you have listed nothing but dark, depressing dramas with only Battlestar Galactica having any sci-fi elements.

Where do we rank Fallout near original Star Trek, Star Wars, and Babylon Five?

Thanks for clarifying, I assumed you were just being hypocritical. Apparently everyone else did too lol.

I sincerely doubt that. :)

But yes, I realized how dumb I'd have to be to think that all the effort I put in hating or defending a show meant anything when I should just accept other people's opinions as valid.

Last edited:
Yeah, an adventure comedy with a lot of ham-fisted drama.

And Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are way funnier than the Fallout TV show, so when dramas are out comedying a supposed a comedy show, you have failed.

Fallout TV is as deep as a puddle and serious as a clown. No fucking wonder people think Sci Fi is trash when they keep handing the reigns over to these soulless hacks.

I've started watching Justified recently, which is an above average crime thriller - and the comedy writing in Justified blows Fallout TV out of the water.

I've started watching Justified recently, which is an above average crime thriller - and the comedy writing in Justified blows Fallout TV out of the water.

Justified is also racist as shit against my hometown. Though it's accurate that the organized crime in Lexington is primarily Nazis.

This scene from The Sopranos still killis me everytime, they make a scene about such a serious thing so hilarious. And no one is acting out of character or saying dumb shit they wouldn't say otherwise, unlike in the Fallout TV show.

This scene from The Sopranos still killis me everytime, they make a scene about such a serious thing so hilarious. And no one is acting out of character or saying dumb shit they wouldn't say otherwise, unlike in the Fallout TV show.

I am curious what you think is out of character.

Where do we rank Fallout near original Star Trek, Star Wars, and Babylon Five?
I mean do you even need to ask?
Like cmon lmao
you have listed nothing but dark, depressing dramas with only
You say that like that isn't exactly what fallout should be. Half the reason the the show is shit is because it didn't take the material or setting seriously instead opting to turn it into one big joke

that science fiction and fantasy are trash because they're not deep and serious.
anyone who says this literally just doesn't watch or read scifi or fantasy to be real. its just a giant self report "i aint even read that but the whole genre sucks lol"

Last edited:
Justified is also racist as shit against my hometown. Though it's accurate that the organized crime in Lexington is primarily Nazis.
I haven't lived in Lexington since I was a kid. Generally the only issue I'd seen was hoodlums (kids-teens) causing property damage, or worse yet physical harm to others. Also, I can say with out a doubt that big city schools are one of the worst experiences I've ever gone through. It wasn't until I moved to a smaller town that things slowed down and I was actually able to learn and get some friends. Now I live out in the country and have zero desire to move back to any city.

Dude nobody respects Harlan, not even people from Harlan. It's all they post about.
Are you from Kentucky as well?

Back