Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

Writing good romance dialogues is extremely difficult IMO. Fallout 4 has romances, but they are boring and don't really add much to the game. Usually for developers it's not the first priority anyway, like all optional content, especially not in the early stages on development.
I understand why people want them though, who wouldn't want to sleep with Joshua Graham, by far the hottest character in Fallout universe, haha :D

Writing good romance dialogues is extremely difficult IMO. Fallout 4 has romances, but they are boring and don't really add much to the game. Usually for developers it's not the first priority anyway, like all optional content, especially not in the early stages on development.
I understand why people want them though, who wouldn't want to sleep with Joshua Graham, by far the hottest character in Fallout universe, haha :D

Funny romance/"romance" like the Shotgun wedding is easier to write though as one does not need to bother about stuff good characterization, avoiding making the romance awkward or giving the romance good character development.

I think it would be nice to have some extra options for flirting during dialogue whose success depends on how high ones CHA and/or Speech skill ends up. With super CHA guys getting super successful and low CHA guys getting...far worse lol.

Those are already in and will be added at every opportunity!

More importantly...any plans for some evil like EVIL options? Like blowing a city with a nuke or enslaving all of your companions or selling their brains? ^^

Absolutely :smug:

Extra options depending on how low is the play character's Karma would be nice too.

For now, it's only of concern for bounty hunters but yes, your reputation will precede you with time.

I don't think romances where even a thing until Planescape Torment which came out a year after Fallout 2.
And now, 23 years after Fallout 2, I presume they've become a much requested thing due to Obsidian/Bioware's RPGs over the years.

I don't think romances where even a thing until Planescape Torment which came out a year after Fallout 2.
And now, 23 years after Fallout 2, I presume they've become a much requested thing due to Obsidian/Bioware's RPGs over the years.

They definitely are and sometimes I find them such an irritating element that a loud minority of gamers calls for.
Because you can recruit men, women, robots, and animals to work with you, you must have the option to romance them?
Make them well developed and useful characters first.

They definitely are and sometimes I find them such an irritating element that a loud minority of gamers calls for.
Because you can recruit men, women, robots, and animals to work with you, you must have the option to romance them?
Make them well developed and useful characters first.

Personally I've always viewed rommance options, and majority of party npcs beeing women with some sort of derailed liberal ocupation like an out of job journalist, to be a thing for bethesdard soybois, and generally players of those post apocalyptic action shooters while rolplaying a bum plowing through trashcans. They are constantly complaining like: "power armor makes me look fat" so let's make PA mesh to be of the same bulkiness as general unarmored skin like it's made of lycra or latex and not some thick space age ultra durable polymer. It's thanks to such kind of people present day gaming experience get's ruined not only for me but also for all the other gamer T-Rexes out there.

Why?
Because modern games are made as if soybois were the main gamer audience, not us T-Rexes.
So in general: stupid ideas, plot inconsistency or sheer plot lunacy is a common thing in today's games. It's not like developers are stupid, it's because developers think majority of gamers are imbeciles, which may or may not be true, as i don't have the data how much % of gamer society are soybois, in comparison to normal people.

EDIT:
@hexer
Just so you don't get confused I don't consider Fo:Yesterday as of the above examples..
on a contrary. I think that Fo:Yesterday is going to be a game for Me and all the other T- Rexes to reach out for, finally somethng with a develpment that has their heads firmly placed on their necks, and that carefully filters feedback to weed out soyboi ideas.

Keep it up!!

EDIT:08.04.2021

Speaking of the 13 year limit, that won't change (engine limitations and no satisfactory workaround)

depending on the setting in sfall this may or may not be true. You see there's a neat setting in sfall:
[misc]

;Time limit in years. Must be between -3 and 13
;Set to 0 if you want to die the instant you leave arroyo
;Set to -1 to remove the time limit, and automatically reset the date back to 2241 each time you would have reached it
;Set to -2 or -3 to remove the time limit, automatically reset the date, but override Fallout's GetDate function to return the correct year
TimeLimit=-3

*and*
MovieTimer_artimer1=-1
MovieTimer_artimer2=-1
MovieTimer_artimer3=-1
MovieTimer_artimer4=-1

hakunin movie 4 is what probably triggers the game over. TimeLimit=-3 just prevent's the game crash that happens shortly after hakunin movie 4 due to variable reaching maximum 32bit variable size limit. so it get's reseted back to zero and current date get's overriden with the correct one.

Here's the proof. as a reminder folks, the game starts in september 2253

scr00000.jpg
scr00001.jpg

this clearly shows that *there is no time limit* there are only ppl that set their sfall settings incorectly...

Last edited:
no problemo "@ your service".. I might say...

As a side note.. I wasn't investigating this.
Those are the settings I usually play with, I just stumbled upon the mater by ocasionally re-reading the thread, and noticed ppl have issues with time limit,and You saying "it prolly won't change".

"Well I say" it doesn't have to.. But in the future it would be a 'good practice' for a Fo2 engine game with such a large world to explore (like yours), to have the options I mentioned above enabled & correctly set, by default.

@hexer
the time limit removal is a must for Fo:y i think

i did a full map reveal run. It took me a bit over 20 in game years to do so, and that's *with* 2x pathfinder perk if i remember correctly so that's roughly +50% travel speed if the calculation from two levels of pathfinder is additive with the first level of the perk...
scr00002.jpg

so for a avarage person (a.k.a. without 2x pathfinder perk) it's going to be around 30 in game years to visit the whole map +/- any time spent on doing fetch quests by going from town to town, if no faster means of travel is introduced.

Last edited:
Wow, 20 years! Think I calculated that with car 13 would be just enough but yeah, now that I know there's a good way to up the time limit it shall be unlocked in R4. Thanks again for looking into this! :clap:

Hello mutants!

EDIT: Download the latest release:

Google Drive:

Installer password is winter 2021
(Space between included too.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Older NMA members will remember how I started creating Van Buren using FOnline engine way back in late 2013. After working like a maniac for one year on it, I put the project on hold because we had serious technical issues with FOnline, we couldn't afford 3D cinematics and professional voice actors/musicians, I moved to another country, etc.

But now the time has come to continue the work and resurrect Black Isle Studio's legacy! Van Buren is back! :D

With that being said, there have been a few changes:
  1. I changed the name from Van Buren to Fallout: Yesterday. Read more about why on the Patreon page.
  2. I changed the game's engine from FOnline to Fallout 2. I'll make a post about why I decided on that sometimes next week.
  3. I setup a Patreon page where I post news and in case someone wants to donate me a euro or two so I don't go bankrupt if I cover all the expenses by myself. The game remains free for everybody of course!
When Ursa's schedule clears up a bit in a month or two, Ursa will join me as an artist.
Until then, here is a wallpaper for you I made with Ursa's loading screen.

enX3ZAQ.png

See you in the wastes, prisoner!

Hi bro, i downloaded the game, followed all instructions, but the game crashes in the starting and leave me with nothing, can u help me ????? i want to play this game a lot, thanks for your time, have a good day.

Hi bro, i downloaded the game, followed all instructions, but the game crashes in the starting and leave me with nothing, can u help me ????? i want to play this game a lot, thanks for your time, have a good day.

There's nothing special about installation. Just unzip it to any folder and copy over fallout2.exe, master.dat, critter.dat and patch000.dat from your Fallout 2. That's it!

@hexer When can we expect to see R4 aprox? A little estimation maybe could you give? Are you doing the mod alone or got someone to help?

Since R4 is as big as all 3 releases combined expect it later this year. The progress is good so it might come out earlier, but it's too early to tell. Don't want to crush hope for any fans :D The core team grew but is still small for the moment - me, two writers and an artist. For the first 3 releases it was just me.

I am not sure if you are still stuck on confonting the BOS traitor but I think I solved the issue. If you try opening the Armory door, and Devon stops you, you get stuck in a dialogue tree where whenever you speak to him, he reminds you to keep you out of the armory. This prevents you from confronting him about being a traitor. Rather you are stuck either threatening him or asking questions about something else.

Yes, that is a bug I hotfixed. You can redownload the installer or just unzip this file into data/scripts folder

Attachments

I was going to say something about thanking that person about getting my problem solved indirectly, but I didn't then, so I will now. Thank you!

Hey, is there a hotkey for highlighting items on ground? Or is that disabled completely on purpose? I remember some sfall versions had a setting for that in the ddraw.ini but can't find one here. It's a bit annoying to search for a pixel to pick something up in the dark or behind a wall.

Hey, is there a hotkey for highlighting items on ground? Or is that disabled completely on purpose? I remember some sfall versions had a setting for that in the ddraw.ini but can't find one here. It's a bit annoying to search for a pixel to pick something up in the dark or behind a wall.

That was disabled on purpose. I sometimes like hiding the loot. You could probably easily mod that back in though.

You could keep in the mod with LOS-setting enabled as default. That's how I do it.. because I like the highlighting, but I hate when it glows up everything on the whole map. Feels like cheating to me.

Yeah, that could work. Speaking of it highlighting everything, sounds like the code should be updated to also allow a setting that highlights everything in your Perception x2 radius or something like that. More realistic that way.

way out of scope on this, but since kinda being on the subject. Drops on map cant really be randomized right (location and weapon variant?) right?

Pretty sure that can be coded in. The randomized loot system already exists in those worldmap cave encounters

Back