Favorite books / What are you reading?

Currently reading The Art of War by Sun Tzu.
After that I'll probably read On The Road by Jack Kerouac. I also have a book about type design I'm thinking of reading soon.

I think I'm finally done with Pinkwater for a bit. I finished Young Adult Novel, which is hilarious and also more of a short story or novella than a novel, and The Last Guru, which was okay but not as ingenious as most of his books. I think it says a lot for Pinkwater that, every time I was done reading one of his books, I picked up another and jumped right in.

Just started reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Recommended to me by a friend. I think this one might appeal to NMAers.

I just finished Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart, right after not finishing 1Q84, which was pretty much the same book as Sweetheart, only 1000 pages longer and dead boring...

Sputnik Sweetheart was actually rather OK. So far I can't see what that hype about Murakami was some years ago, though.

I would say that anyone who spends time on NMA and likes to read would really enjoy Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's written for people like YOU.

Indulging on some Hipster manga reading, I just read Kokou no Hito whole, it was a rather weird manga, it begins looking like a sports manga about climbing, and then it just sucker punches you over and over again.

I've been chipping away at Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I didn't think I'd like the parts about early Christianity, but it's turned out to be really interesting. Unfortunately the whole decline and fall itself makes for a sad, sad story.

SnapSlav said:
The Dutch Ghost said:
Anyone here who can recommend me a good classic science fiction book?
Who Goes There? I'd say.

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. Heinlein.

Currently re-reading Crime And Punishment, myself. I was kind of late to the show, only just reading it for the first time last year, but I really enjoyed it. I've been making a hamfisted attempt at hashing together something that draws from it, so I'm reading it again as a refresher, and for some reason, this time it's an absolute slog.

Already read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

Who Goes There?, that is the one on which the The Thing from another world, and The Thing are based on, right?

Not exactly classic, but very much in the style of classics:
The Mars Trilogy and 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson and the Zones Of Thought books by Vernor Vinge.
But you know that I'm a total fanboy of those guys anyway :D
Heinlein's Beyond This Horizon was quite nice, Yevgeni Zamyatin's We was also pretty good.
Charles Pellegrino's books are also pretty classic when it comes to hard scifi: The Killing Star and Flying To Valhalla are awesome.
Also, Niven's Ringworld books.

I'm currently reading 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke, and am enjoying it greatly.

I have yet to read Solaris by Stanislaw Lem and The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, but I've heard good things about them.

There is of course H. G. Wells, Jules Verne, and the like. Also from the older stuff I liked A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, but it is certainly more of a pulp adventure.

Not really "classic", but I really liked Niven's Protector, from his Known Space series.

Hassknecht, you already made me read A fire upon the deep and A deepness in the sky and I liked both, remember?

And I think I am pretty much the biggest Known Space fan on this forum, I read all the Ringworld books and almost all the other Known Space books with exception of the last in the Fleet of Worlds books as the formula started to become somewhat tiresome.
I also have the old Chaosium RPG game and the PC games, that tells you my feelings for the setting :P

(this also includes Protector)

Perhaps I should indeed read another Heinlein book, I think The Killing Star is also on my list but the ending sounds depressive.

Verevoof, have you read Rendezvous with Rama, little on the character development but very interesting stuff regarding an encounter with an alien starship.
And not big chapters either.

Back