First Impression of Fallout 4

Do you guys think the game has a chance of being improved in any other way than bugfixing (disregarding whatever DLCs might bring to the table)?
I've been watching people play it on Twitch since launch, and with every day I am feeling less and less likely to buy it. I only played the original Fallouts (like an absolute nut), skipped F3, not liking the change, but was very curious about 4. I am also a Skyrim player, so I kind of expected significantly upgraded "systems" from Skyrim to be present in Fallout 4. I mean, improved engine, no serious limitations because of ancient shitty consoles etc.
Instead of being hyped, I am actually horrified. Same (or even worse if that's even possible) blurry ass-ugly textures, horrible meshes, dull NPCs (almost worse than Skyrim's), but most importantly, ridiculously awkward interface and horrific dialogue system, which really kills it for me. I don't like the word immersive (it's overused around Skyrim moddding scene to the point of making me sick), but the stupid seemingly hardcoded, extremely confusing, four two words dialogue options really is what removes large amounts of immersion from the game for me (without even playing it yet).
Is it as bad as it seems to me, or is it actually good, or?...
Is there any chance of Bethesda changing any of this? Because if not, I will probably keep playing Skyrim for 800+ more hours...

I doubt it, bugs and visuals can be fixed. A silly story stays for ever. I mean, look at Skyrim or Fallout 3 as best example. Lots of great improvements have been made by the modding community, no doubts about that. But once you get to the mods that try to fix core-issues, like the magic system, the meele combat, AI, or even the story - Skyrim Civil War overhaul for example, they all seem to lack something, despite of the great stuff inside it.

I guess it's simply like trying to build a new house on a shoddy basement. No matter how good your craftmanship is or how great the materials are, if the basement isn't good, you're always doomed to run into issues.

I doubt it, bugs and visuals can be fixed. A silly story stays for ever. I mean, look at Skyrim or Fallout 3 as best example. Lots of great improvements have been made by the modding community, no doubts about that. But once you get to the mods that try to fix core-issues, like the magic system, the meele combat, AI, or even the story - Skyrim Civil War overhaul for example, they all seem to lack something, despite of the great stuff inside it.

I guess it's simply like trying to build a new house on a shoddy basement. No matter how good your craftmanship is or how great the materials are, if the basement isn't good, you're always doomed to run into issues.

Agreed. The biggest stumbling block to the game is, in my opinion, that console-focused abomination which is the dialogue wheel; there's very little way to save the game from that. Even the best writers would be severely limited; I think we all know how much of an understatement it is to say that Bethesda are not the best writers.

Agreed. The biggest stumbling block to the game is, in my opinion, that console-focused abomination which is the dialogue wheel; there's very little way to save the game from that. Even the best writers would be severely limited; I think we all know how much of an understatement it is to say that Bethesda are not the best writers.

I guess it depends how ... hard coded the wheel is in to the game. Something that only modders can really find out. I mean so far there can be only 4 answers at any given moment? This can make it hard to track the conversation I think. Particularly if all you have is like YES, NO, Sarcastic and more information. On the other side the bigger problem is also that the character has now a voice. So when ever some modder adds new dialog to the game ... he/she will have either to emulate the voice, or simply leaving it out of the game.

I really feel like Bethesda shoot them self in the own foot with this ... I mean none of their past games had a voiced protagonist and the way how the game was set up, with the player thrown as a blank slate in to this world without much of a back story, it really doesn't support the idea of a predefined and voiced protagonist.

This game does to Fallout what Skyrim did to Elder Scrolls.
I disagree. Skyrim is an awesome game. Sure it sucks donkey dick in its default state because of all the bugs and shortcomings, but decently modded it's great. Even mods have to have something to build upon, and in Skyrim's case it's fairly ok. I cannot compare it with any of the previous games though (I played the fuck out of legal copies of Arena and Daggerfall back in the day, but that's entirely different gaming age), but still think it's good. Got 800+ hours on the record and have barely just visited the Greybeards.
Now that I think about Skyrim and "compare" my experiences with what I see in Fallout 4, I can't help but think F4 is complete piece of shit with a few good ideas that unfortunately don't matter for shit in the end.

In the end, it doesn't matter what people think or post all over the internet. The game, I guess, is piece of shit from demanding gamer's perspective, but it still sold like 3-4 times more copies in the first 24 hours than Skyrim. It almost looks like the worse the games are the better they sell. The biggest problem is Bethesda doesn't need to give two fucks about anything: people will hysterically buy anything regardless. And that sucks.

This game does to Fallout what Skyrim did to Elder Scrolls.
I disagree. Skyrim is an awesome game. Sure it sucks donkey dick in its default state because of all the bugs and shortcomings, but decently modded it's great. Even mods have to have something to build upon, and in Skyrim's case it's fairly ok. I cannot compare it with any of the previous games though (I played the fuck out of legal copies of Arena and Daggerfall back in the day, but that's entirely different gaming age), but still think it's good. Got 800+ hours on the record and have barely just visited the Greybeards.
Now that I think about Skyrim and "compare" my experiences with what I see in Fallout 4, I can't help but think F4 is complete piece of shit with a few good ideas that unfortunately don't matter for shit in the end.
Then Skyrim isn't an awesome game, it's the mods that make it awesome but the game itself is not awesome.

Seems like there's something really wrong with the settlement building module. I have pimped Sanctuary Hills out with everything the settlers could ever need, lots of food, water, electricity, defense, beds, you name it. But every time I leave to do stuff, their happiness drops below 50. I have manually assigned every single one of my 15 settlers a bed and a job, but still, it drops. But when I come back and sit still in the settlement, it slowly rises back again. The amount of settlers seem to fluctuate randomly too, sometimes it's 15 and sometimes it's 13. And no, no raider attacks, as the defense is much higher than the sum of food+water and I never got a pop up about failing to defend them. (Or them even being under attack in the first place)

Anyone has it, or has an idea as to what could be the reason? Doesn't seem to happen to any other of my settlements, but they're much smaller.

How do you assign beds and work?

In building mode you activate a settler and then activate a bed/workstation. You can also order them to go to a certain place.
You can tell if a particular bed/workstation has someone assigned by the icon on your right, if it's red, it has no dweller assigned, if it's full green, it has.

I must admit, I enjoy reading the reactions of people to the Brotherhood's return to its traditional values in this game, even if it isn't wholesale. It mostly amounts to people being appalled at the Brotherhood's actions in 4, saying that it isn't "their" Brotherhood from Fallout 3. They then go on and complain that they don't know who to support because there are no good guys in the game. Which is strange to me, because it seems like the Minutemen are supposed to fill that role, even if they're stretched thin in that regard. The ideas may not be as... fleshed out as they could be, but I appreciate that with the disposal of the karma system, Bethesda was willing to make the factions more grey.

I think the biggest problem is that al the factions unecessarily just kill each other on every quest path, the Minutemen quest line basically forces you to attack and destroy the Prydwen despite it being full of kids in midair with an artillery barrage. The Railroad are lame as shit, with them not even having any goals other than "Liberating Synths" and they also want to destroy the Prydwen. This leaves us with the Institute who think the Commonwealth is just better off Nuked and the BOS who just kills the lame ass Rail Road and take on the Institute as the only interesting options.

The quest path that involves the least amount of infanticide is the BOS. Sure they kill all the Synths, but they shouldn't even exist in the setting in the first place so yeah....

So everything comes again from the game refusing to have any quest at all with a pacifist route of any kind. Fallout 4 is about shooting everything.

All endings involve a Huge explosion at the end, because Bethesda knows their audience.

Last edited:
I am curious though, what is exactly the reason for the Snyths? It seems they are the "bad" guys of the setting, like kidnaping people for it and all that. But what kind of reason is the commonwealth giving you (the player) for siding with them?

In the end, it doesn't matter what people think or post all over the internet. The game, I guess, is piece of shit from demanding gamer's perspective, but it still sold like 3-4 times more copies in the first 24 hours than Skyrim. It almost looks like the worse the games are the better they sell. The biggest problem is Bethesda doesn't need to give two fucks about anything: people will hysterically buy anything regardless. And that sucks.

I've seen this happen a lot if movies. The best example I can come up with is James Cameron's Avatar. To me and many others Avatar was a mediocre film that was filled with cliches and ideas stolen from other and better movies. But at the time people loved it and made it the highest grossing film of all time. Years later however we now have people starting to say "Hey wait a minute. Avatar actually kinda sucked." It was also the same thing that happened with Fallout 3 and Skyrim and Fallout 4 looks like it won't be any exception. Hell, I am already starting to see it happen with Fallout 4 given its low user scores on Metacritic and Amazon.

Well, the Avatar thing has a lot more to do with special effects than with story, AFAICT. At least in my circles nobody ever claimed it was original at all, we all saw it as sci-fi Pocahontas.

I think the biggest problem is that al the factions unecessarily just kill each other on every quest path, the Minutemen quest line basically forces you to attack and destroy the Prydwen despite it being full of kids in midair with an artillery barrage. The Railroad are lame as shit, with them not even having any goals other than "Liberating Synths" and they also want to destroy the Prydwen. This leaves us with the Institute who think the Commonwealth is just better off Nuked and the BOS who just kills the lame ass Rail Road and take on the Institute as the only interesting options.

The quest path that involves the least amount of infanticide is the BOS. Sure they kill all the Synths, but they shouldn't even exist in the setting in the first place so yeah....

So everything comes again from the game refusing to have any quest at all with a pacifist route of any kind. Fallout 4 is about shooting everything.

All endings involve a Huge explosion at the end, because Bethesda knows their audience.

Remember how in New Vegas you could negotiate a truce between the NCR and Brotherhood of Steel if you met the right criteria or if you side with Yes Man not go and kill other factions if you didn't want too. It was understandable why Caesar and House would want the other factions dead and gone and they gave their reasons and argument but in Fallout 4 there was really no good reason. They just all hated each other and it didn't really matter who you sided with as the ending is the same regardless of who's side you ended up choosing.

Last edited:
Back