Game of Thrones

Well a lot to do with Lyanna is conjecture, such as the Tower Of Joy incident.
Conjecture is just groundless assumption. Conjecture isn't theory, hell it's below the level of even hypothesis, the foundation OF theory before peer review refines it. At least most of the biggest theories surrounding SOIAF are based off of facts, and simple connecting of the dots.
Things like "One narrator said this about character Q, another narrator said that about character Q. There's a definite discrepancy between the two. One of them is lying, or both characters were not Q."
Things like "We know A, B, C, D, E, F, and G about this character. This matches with this other character who also shares ALL of A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. They're either the same character, or this is a wild coincidence."
Things like "This happened at X. That happened at X. Lots of stuff happened at X, so every character associated with the events of X aren't necessarily related. But the following characters WERE tied independent of X, which makes X more relevant."

Those aren't mere conjectures. They're well thought-out theories. It's very telling that among all the rampant speculation that surrounds the series, when you bundle up groups of speculation that are mutually exclusive (example: ALL the speculations on who Jon Snow's mother is are mutually exclusive. If it's A, it cannot be B. If it's C, it cannot be... etc etc) it's more than telling that one of them always stands out and has more evidence/support and throughline in its formulation than any of the rest. We know a great deal about Lyanna because we can connect the obvious dots. We know for a fact that she didn't love Robert, and we have a very good idea that Robert didn't really "love" her specifically. We know for a fact that Lyanna was a rebellious girl who was said to be one of the greatest riders alive. We know she died at the Tower of Joy and we know her last words were eliciting a lifelong oath sworn from Ned that he kept to his grave. We know many FACTS about Lyanna, so basing hypotheses on those facts are more than simple conjecture. The more facts you base them off of, the more they hold up to scrutiny, the more questions they answer, the less it's simple conjecture. It's all theory, because it's unconfirmed, but that's more than just conjecture.

I like this theory about the promise the most though

"Promise me Ned...promise me you will have vague flashbacks about this moment and die before ever explaining it..."

Oh har har. =P

I just personally liked how the scene described that these companions of Ned's had faded from memory and now he could not remember their faces so they always appeared as shadows in his dreams, yet the 3 Kingsguard that the 7 of them faced were so deadly/valiant/whatever that they left such a lasting impression on Ned that all these years later their faces are still as clear as day.

Now we will have ample time to forget all about it, before the new season comes along, no?

That's what it felt like last time.

Apparently so. We were all stoked about discussing the season when Season 3 ended... then nothing at all until Season4 was over. Now it seems to have entered that same lull in interest at discussion as last year. I for one enjoy discussing it in depth and thoroughly, but if no one else does, there's not much point in being the only one talking. =/

I think Season 5 kind of dropped the ball in places, but I'm still hyped for season 6. And the story on the wall was really my favorite, and we all know that's going to be the most interesting next season.

I'm still waiting for Winds of Winter. I don't keep up with the show, so I'm interested to know what exactly some of the big differences are between the two, since I heard they split from the books.

Season 5 had a lot of mediocre content (Dorne was just absurdly bad) but was immensely propped up by episode 8 (Hardhome) which was basically amazing from beginning to end and easily among the serie's best.

Now they will mosrly work with original material, since the events of the first 5 books are more or less done in the series. I'm kinda worried, because the showrunners haven't proved to me that the ideas they come up with are good on any regular basis.

Nope. Just what ol' george told the writers and what they themselves think up.

. . . yeah. Fingers crossed.

When I went looking for spoilers I found out that... sigh...
a lot of important characters should be dying, like flies, as is customary, but they won't. Some should have allready
In other words, what made GoT special - the new writers seem to be terrified of, "but if we kill off characters, they won't like us anymore D:"

Nah, Stannis burning his daughter felt like an unnecessarily arbitrary way of garnering some shock value. So it felt like the opposite.

I'm not going to watch the show anymore. Since they're on their own now with no books to reference the whole season could be like Dorne.

Back