General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

BioShock. Really well done game with a nice story and environment, and the people in Rapture are really screwed up.

Working on Deus Ex. About 10 hours in and I'm starting to get antsy. I've gotten used to shooters that can be beaten in 1-2 sittings, and I don't see the ending for this one coming any time soon.

After this one, I think I'll go beat Fallout, Fallout 2, and Tactics.

I_eat_supermutants said:

Oh hell I still remember that game form the SNES. Boy was it hard ... insane hard I want to add !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry8zJETbh50[/youtube]

But it was awesome playing it with another player :mrgreen:

first F.E.A.R. expansion down, one to go. not much to say about it as it was just more of the same really. except that it was finally a bit creepy - they did a muich better job with that. but again, it gets tiresome running around in the same damn corridors and killing the same damn enemies throughout the entire game. I'm hoping for just a little more variety in the next part.

at least this time I didn't have to spend half the game just searching through the level for where to go next. huge parts of the first game was completely empty and simply consisted of a maze-like level, which I didn't like at all.

aenemic said:
first F.E.A.R. expansion down, one to go. not much to say about it as it was just more of the same really. except that it was finally a bit creepy - they did a muich better job with that. but again, it gets tiresome running around in the same damn corridors and killing the same damn enemies throughout the entire game. I'm hoping for just a little more variety in the next part.

at least this time I didn't have to spend half the game just searching through the level for where to go next. huge parts of the first game was completely empty and simply consisted of a maze-like level, which I didn't like at all.

Prepare to be disappointed.

F.E.A.R. is one of my favorite gaming franchises. F.E.A.R. 1 was a masterpiece, F.E.A.R. Extraction Point was actually, to me, a helluva lot scarier than the original, and it wasn't even developed by the same guys. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate is just a run and gun. There are so few scares in it you wonder if you're playing F.E.A.R. or not.

Back on-topic;

I've been playing the shit out of Dead Space. Not only is it a great horror game, but it also is a sci-fi game. Two things I can enjoy immensely.

I just finished Halo Wars.

Please hear me out people before you throw tomatoes at me and say that I have joined the 'other side'.

I don't think it can stand up against the more complex PC RTS games but for a console RTS, I actually rather liked it.

One thing I did enjoy was that it was far easier to select one of the units' special skills without having to de-select them all and click the ones which special skill I want to use.

For now just playing Bad Company 2 a little bit. Now I'm waiting for Alpha Protocol from Gamefly, though I've heard alot of good/bad, I'd like to try it for myself and just see how it goes.

Still playing Left 4 Dead 2 and some Torchlight, from time to time.

Want to finish Wind Waker sometime too.

Age of Empires 2 + Conqueror's expansion.

Just some skirmish matches. To kill time.

I still love this game.

Saw Borderlands in a bargain bin and bought it. Was a bit sceptical after starting it up but now i quite enjoy it.

I just got Singularity, and to be honest, I am not very impressed by it.

Singularity was developed by Raven who made Wolfenstein last year, and like that game, this one doesn't really give a fully satisfying feeling either.

Wolfenstein clicked for me because of the Indiana Jones World War 2 vibe, the Nazis as despicable a villain they can be, having developed some new secret weapon to bring the free world to its knees, and you are B.J. Blazkowicz, allied hero extraordinary.
The guy who goes in solo and kicks Nazi ass while stopping their latest scheme.

In the last game you had the Thule medallion and the whole storyline around the Black Sun which the Nazis wanted to harness to create both super soldiers and super weapons.

Singularity is sort of like that, but now the Nazis are Soviet Russians, and the Black Sun has been replaced with a super science particle called E99.
And instead of a medallion you use a device called the TMD; the Time Manipulation Device or something.

Rather than Blaskowitcz you play some new American commando but take it from me it is the same idea character in general.

There is no hub this time and the game is a collection of levels continuing after another but I can't say it feels very big or unique.

Before I forgot, there is also a hint of system shock/bioshock in which the player sees images of people who re enact their last moments of their lives.
Sometimes the general atmosphere in the game also reminded me of Bioshock, small details here and there.

Rather than the Black Sun dimension the player instead switches between the present 2010, and the year 1950.

I assume some of you already know the storyline but here is the setup in general, back during the Cold War, just after the Americans shocked the world with the atomic bomb, the Soviets started to look for their own mystery energy source to turn into weapons in order not to be outdone by the US.

On an island at the East coast of Russia an unknown elements called E99 is found that has both incredible rich energy potential, as well as mutagenic potention, and the Soviets set up an entire town, factory, refinery and experimental reactor to study the uses of the material.

They manage to generate the said singularity of the game but loose control after a while, the singularity releases a powerful energy wave that either kills or mutates most people, forcing the survivors to evacuate.

The Soviets can not control the situation so the island is quarantined from then on.

In the present some activity is discovered on the island including energy readings and fearing that there is a potential second Chernobyl going on on the island some American commandoes are send over to investigate after the Ruskies refuse to tell what happened there and what still might be going on.

Somewhere during the start up of the game the player accidentally alters the past resulting in a present in which the Soviet Union is the ruler of the world, after they dropped an E99 bomb on the US East Coast and started an invasion of all countries outside the Soviet borders.

Now the player must find a way to restore the original timeline and gets some help from a secret organization that has discovered that history was changed.

This all might sound exciting but the thing is, the game is so tried and done before that it is very hard to have an impression on anyone who hasn't played dozens of these FPS games before.

It is not bad, it just doesn't stand out in any way, its as cookie cutter as you can get.
Sure it has some nice scripted scenes and Raven shows that it knows how to do these but the game feels like a generic popcorn flick, you watch it, have some fun, and forget all about it afterwards.

In Wolfenstein the healthbar had been removed, Raven has brought this feature back and now the player can collect medical kits for back up health rather than having to wait until the wounds heal.

But in return they have gone Halo on the weapons loadout, the player can only carry two guns at a time, and occasionally a heavy weapons which the player has to drop to use the regular guns again.

One feature they took over from Resistance Fall of Man is that some weapons have unique secondary capabilities such as the sniper rifle that slows down time, and a gun that fire bullets that you can control in flight, making it possible to fly it around a corner.
There is also a grenade launcher that can fire remote controlled rolling grenades.

Next to the weapons you have the TMD of course.
The device can be used for puzzles but can also be used for offensive and defensive uses such as generating a shield in which time goes slower, or rapidly age your enemies into a dusty skeleton.
Later on you can also turn them into creatures that turn on their comrades.

Like in Wolfenstein you also collect certain items that can be used to pay for upgrades of skills, weapons, health, and so on.

I am not sure what to say more, if you want a fun action game you can do worse, but you should not have big expectations of this either.

I feel there are simply far better games out there, you best wait until this is in the bargain bin before picking it up.

Sorry Raven, but you really have to start trying harder, the old tricks don't do it any more.

Edit: sentence errors

i dont have much time to really play games, so at the moment i am more of casual gamer, usualy i have time for one versus game some friends in L4D2.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Before I forgot, there is also a hint of system shock/bioshock in which the player sees images of people who re enact their last moments of their lives.
Something the atmosphere in the game also reminded me of Bioshock, small details here and there.

Possibly the inclusion of old tape recorders near dead people made you think of System/Bio shock. :P

Looks a bit like F.E.A.R crossed with Bioshock, doesn't look too bad so will probably try it out when it is cheaper.

Mass Effect. The idea was to quickly get through it once again to have a save game for ME2 (I lost my previous save game) but the game is an absolute horror to play through (for the second time).

Really, apart from the very well fleshed out world and universe etc. the game is mediocre to the bone. It embodies what is wrong with morality in games. I hate how it practically railroads your morality into black and white choices, choices which in fact you don't really have to make at all, as those blue/red indicators neatly tell you what is good or bad. Damnit, I could go hours raving on about how stupid certain design choices are, how 'accessible' the game is and so on. I don't think this type of game is worth to trudge through again just so I can see some specks of recognition in part II, which will equally torment me with its stupidity.

Gawd, I need to stop doing things that aren't worth my time.

Started replaying Dead Rising today. Such a tough game (A Capcom tradition). The bosses are hard as fuck, there's hundreds of zombies onscreen, and the timer hates you. Yet, it's still fun to hack hundreds of zombies up with a lead pipe. I'm excited for Dead Rising 2.

Playing Alpha Protocol. Despite some problems early on, kinda finicky cover system along with somewhat different control scheme, I got used to it all and I'm liking the game a good amount. There's a few places in the game, that really feel like they got chopped down for time or something, but outside of that everything seems pretty good.

Alphadrop said:
Possibly the inclusion of old tape recorders near dead people made you think of System/Bio shock. :P

Looks a bit like F.E.A.R crossed with Bioshock, doesn't look too bad so will probably try it out when it is cheaper.

That perhaps, but also the look of the architecture and the general atmosphere of the island being its own microcosm.

There is also propaganda in the game, somewhat like the Fallout Boy stuff and the little movies you have in Bioshock to explain biomods.

However I can not help be feel that this is rather what Americans think what Soviet propaganda is like rather than it being something they would make.

I think you are right Alphadrop, I would not be surprised anymore that some of the demands from the higher ups were that the game had to be somewhat like Bioshock.

generalissimofurioso said:
OakTable said:
The bosses are hard as fuck

Damn straight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEPhQPKLQdA[/youtube]

Good memories.
You know a boss is hard when it revives itself every couple of hours to beat your ass.

Also, I just bought that song off iTunes.

Back