General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Bioshock experiments with philosophical ideas the same way a 14 year old does. It's pretty shallow but it's smart sounding enough for some people. Infinite also tried to be clever with meta textual analysis but failed to comunicate anything deep or complex, mostly adorning the obvious with flashy set pieces to trick people into thinking it was deep.

Can anyone that has played AoD confirm that it is indeed a good game? I hear great things about it but I can't afford to rape my wallet since I have to get my GTX 980 Ti and I still haven't gotten ammo for my 9mm. I do keep hearing that it's a really good game from the 'Dex but I'd just like an opinion or twelve from here.
The game is amazing! It has a crazy level of replayability

What do people find interesting in Bioshock? I tried it several times, but it doesn't feel like a shooter and isn't an rpg either. What is the appeal in that game?

It is an ok shooter with an interessting story and a really great setting. infinite is to bright and somewhat boring for me. I did like the 2 dlc's tho.

I though Infinite was a joke, the story was pretentious and trying too hard to be a 2deep4me game. The gunplay was popamole alley, hide behind areas and shoot the bad guys until they fall over dead, the plasmids sucked balls compared to the first game as well. To take down the hadymen you just need to throw the kitchen sink at them. Regenerating shields as well.
Finished the first DLC which was easy and boring, and only got around half way through the second because again easy and boring.

I actually quite liked Bioshock Infinite, and you have to consider its delve into a couple of interesting themes wouldn't be much new ground for the common NMAer, but for the majority shooter crowd it marketed itself at, it was generally thought-provoking. Personally, while the pacing fell out around the end and the plot left out more holes than swiss cheese, the Luteces does remain two of my favourite characters in video games.

It's a solid shooter with a good story, and worth what I paid for it. Not exactly top-of-the-line, but really what people should start considering to be minimum-standard for FPS games. The writing isn't nearly as deep as people say it is though, and it kind of asked for plot holes when it started to delve into alternate timelines. But I got to fight religious extremists, and that probably served most of my positive bias for this game. :grin:

Change of subject - I've been playing Undertale lately, just finished it once and planning to go through it one more time. Fantastic game under simplistic visuals, and I haven't seen why in the hell people keep considering it "overrated". Okay, the fanbase is particularly overenthusiastic, but that's because most gamers are a lazy bunch (:razz:) and Undertale is the easiest game to quote I've ever seen, so that's to be expected. It has a pretty interesting meta-narrative and actually have choices with effects that pay off in the end, with a really good soundtrack to boot. I recommend it.

pretentious and trying too hard

Alright, I've never been able to understand this complaint, not just for Infinite. It's directed at indie games so many times too. I've never found a single game in my life to be pretentious or try-hard, what do people actually mean when they call a game pretentious?

To me, there's no such thing as trying too hard, and overestimating your work's own impact on the medium is not something I would consider a bad thing.

Th Dragonborn DLC was better than anything in the vanilla game, I actually enjoyed for itself. I think I reached the end of this Skyrim Moded character, it was a basic Dual Wielder-Light Armor-Smithing type. I might try a Battle mage now, with this mods leveling is not only less tedious but it actually has weight. No idea how people can Play Skyrim on consoles, not only does it run worse but you are left with the vanilla barebones mechanics.
Dawnguard sucked, the Vampire Lord powers sucked too, no idea how they actually charged 20 dollars for that when it came out originally.

Last edited:
Fallout 3 ,decent and fun more than anything else. Don't think all the hate it got was warranted but I think Falllout 4 deserves more hate.

Borderlands 2 (bought it on a recent steam discount), in my imagination! Those fuckers at tech support have not returned my monitor and it's been two weeks already, they claim they are waiting for some magical part, Fuck You BenQ!

Shadowrun:Hong Kong; still early into it. So far, I liked Dragonfall better, but I do like this one. I like the addition of system traces to matrix, and new the hacking challenge. So far, it's a good sequel IMO. Though so far, the interactive NPCs have been sparse, and/or event activated ~such that you cannot talk to them until they have something to say... but that also means that one might not think to back-trace to see if they've become interactive.

I'm playing Stardew Valley, which is a new indie game heavily inspired by Harvest Moon. Pretty good, but can be cheesy at times.

Currently replaying vanilla morrowind on an 2009 Celeron cpu integrated graphics (still can't play on my pc, because the tech support has not returned my monitor). It can barely push 1024x768, but the game is fundamentally well built, so that i don't really notice the terrible graphics. It's just so different from the current breed of games. I think something that stands out the most is how unstandartized the game is - you have different armor parts, no arrow pointers, plenty of interesting and wacky skills like levitation and spear (which is an endurance skill lol), the way characters react to you, the weather, slow pace of the game, maze like buildings, hand placed things all over the place, plethora of books... It's everything the current mode of game development tries to avoid, and i feel that's because of the difficulties that arise from trying to control and implement all these various and different parts of the game. Still feels very refreshing to this day.

The Talos Principle: It's a pretty decent first-person puzzel. The puzzels are well designed, simple and yet still pretty challenging. It also delves into the realm of philosophy, though it feels like it was kinda tacked on as an afterthought. It's fairly pricey at $40, though I got it on sale for $10. (Thank god for Steam sales)

I finished Alien: Isolation recently. CA did an amazing job. No previous game captured the feel of the classics in a such accurate manner. Atmosphere, sound and story are on point. I really enjoyed it.

As a big fan of the classic movies am a bit biased, I guess. Personally I enjoyed every moment, but yeah, In terms of pacing it could've been a bit shorter.

I'm playing through Fallout 4 because I can't find a girl to engage in my massochism.
But even I can't handle the pain this game gives me.
I've not felt this emotional since Grey Fox died in MGS1.

I finished Alien: Isolation recently. CA did an amazing job. No previous game captured the feel of the classics in a such accurate manner. Atmosphere, sound and story are on point. I really enjoyed it.

I'm on my second attempt. Stopped playing it first time because of lousy pc controls.

But for some reason I'm not enjoying it as much as I should. I'm a big fan of Alien and a big fan of this type of gameplay. But I'm so damn stressed out when I play and it takes me forever to get anywhere. So I guess they did a great job.

Few things scare me these days, but this game has me too scared to play half the time.

But I'm so damn stressed out when I play and it takes me forever to get anywhere. So I guess they did a great job.
Yup, they did. When the Xenomorph began to hunt Ripley for the first time in the psychiatric hospital, I just hid in one of the vents and waited there for 15min straight. 8-)

12 lvl party in pillars of eternity on hard and cannot even see how to kill the adra dragon, fuck that guy.

Back