Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

I think I've found a regression bug.
I'm playing RP 2.3 with Hi-Res Patch 4.1.7 in windowed mode.
Option IFACE_BAR_WIDTH doesn't seem to work. Width of the interface bar always remains at minimum value (640), regardless of IFACE_BAR_WIDTH.

But in 4.1.4 it works as intended.

The main-menu has a few scaling options these days. To get the effect your after open the screen settings window under options. Find the "Panel Scaling" section, arrow down to "Main Menu" and set it to "Fill".
As for the game itself, the first map you see is the temple entrance. The width of this map is smaller than your screen width so you will see black bars down either side. Inside the temple is much larger and should fill your screen.

Dear Mash,

Now, all works on 4.1.7! Of course it also worked before ;) so there was no problem at all with latest Hi-Res patch.
Thanks!

G.

Mash,

After the game is run for the first time, alternate ammo colors change from Hex to Decimal. Is this something that needs to be changed/fixed?

Code:
ALTERNATE_AMMO_LIGHT=0xC4
ALTERNATE_AMMO_DARK=0x4B
to
Code:
ALTERNATE_AMMO_LIGHT=196
ALTERNATE_AMMO_DARK=75

I just want to thank the authors of this patch for their work! This piece of software is truly amazing! Not only it gives many options to comfortably play favorite game with high-resolution monitors (I switched from 1280x720 which I used before to 1920x1080 with scale x2 feature, so it looks "just right" like native 640x480 with slightly more space; wider message log monitor is fantastic!), but also adds new depth into gameplay with fog of war feature! This changes gameplay considerably, making it more interesting to explore new locations (dungeons are really scary now!!).

Haven't had any problems with current or previous version of the patch. I hope this will not change :) (using Windows 7 x64, custom tuned settings for both sfall and highres patch)

Mash - i noticed high-res patch contains a russian translation (but no place to change the interface to russian) do u intend to add multi-language support for the patch in the future? I'm curious because i'd to translate it to brazilian portuguese.

Mash - i noticed high-res patch contains a russian translation (but no place to change the interface to russian) do u intend to add multi-language support for the patch in the future? I'm curious because i'd to translate it to brazilian portuguese.

I believe @Drobovik is the one to ask about this, I'm under the impressive that they have a Russian translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems translations are already supported, from f2_res_README.rtf:
If using a non-English version of Fallout2 the menu text may not be installed properly. Copy the 'ScrnSet.msg' file found in the 'Extras' folder to "(your Fallout2 install folder)\data\text\(your language folder)\game\".
But I'm not sure if it also works for Brazilian Portuguese.

EDIT: Uh, did a little test. Copying the Russian ScrnSet.msg to my folder and the ingame hi-res settings got displayed in supposedly Russian (but messed up with non-Cyrillic characters, since there's no font set for displaying Cyrillic in English version of FO2). So technically you can do the same for Brazilian Portuguese, if the font set in your game can display it correctly.

Last edited:
NovaRain - it worked, i should have read the readme better instead giving it a quick look. Thank you very much.

I think I've found some kind of bug in Hi-res patch. I'm using version 4.1.7 with Fog of war feature enabled, and doing a little scripting. When I damage some critter using critter_dmg(), the animation flickers (critter disappers for a moment, or sometimes freezes his animation). This does not happen if I don't use Hi-res patch at all, or if I disable Fog of war. Any ideas?

Edit: tried it with 4.0.2 version, still the same effects.

I can provide script to test this issue very easily, just send PM.

Last edited:
hello all,

is there any ways (for both fo1 and fo2) to disable scaling for 1024*768 res in newest ver of hires ? ( look like a " ScaleFilter=0 " in old sfall directx ini file )
i like to play zoomed in game in 1024*768 mode.. like at hires basic graphic mode.

My LCD only support max. 1440*900 res, and not support 1280*960 mode.

Thanks......

Basic graphic mode in hires give cluttered graphic in game and menu.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I'm a long time fan of the Fallout series since 1998, and after almost 16 years, I'm pleasantly surprised to find it available in Steam...

The resolution and colours, sadly are no longer as good as they felt when it was played on my 15" CRT years back..

Thankfully, NMA hosted this high res patch giving the replay value a great boost.

However, after unzipping the patch, and running f2_res_config.exe, it says non-supported version detected..

My F2 version is from Valve Steam, 1.02.25.

Is there anyway to manually enable this patch?

Do hope a fellow fan and kind soul can help

Hi Guys, I'm a long time fan of the Fallout series since 1998, and after almost 16 years, I'm pleasantly surprised to find it available in Steam...

The resolution and colours, sadly are no longer as good as they felt when it was played on my 15" CRT years back..

Thankfully, NMA hosted this high res patch giving the replay value a great boost.

However, after unzipping the patch, and running f2_res_config.exe, it says non-supported version detected..

My F2 version is from Valve Steam, 1.02.25.

Is there anyway to manually enable this patch?

Do hope a fellow fan and kind soul can help

Download this archive and unpack fallout2.exe from folder Windows NT-XP-Vista into your fallout 2 installation folder overwriting the file. Make a backup of your fallout2.exe first though.
Then HiRes patch will work normally.

Hi Drobovik,

Thanks so much! Its been a great help, and kudos to the Hi-Res patch maker for adding an amazing new replay value to the old dame..

Are there any other mods I should be installing that will make the replay an even better one?

I'm having problems using both the Megamod 2.44 and the latest Fallout 2 High-Resolution patch, I managed to install them both without a problem, but once I configured the High-Resolution patch to my monitor's resolution and launch the game, the game itself acts as if it was "stretched" to fit my screen and everything else remains low-resolution and impossible to read in my monitor. Am I suppose to install a different version of the High-Res patch? Is there a fix somewhere else? Sorry if this problem was already addressed but I've been searching the forums and the wiki and I couldn't find anything related to it.

Hello all back again, new versions are up, links in my sig as usual. Version 4.1.8.

ZOOMING
You will notice a couple of extra links below, I've finally have zooming working, although there are likely a few bug lurking. For this reason the zoom versions should be considered experimental for now.
Here's a few details copied from the readme:
1. In this version only DirectX9 mode can be used. DirectDraw7 and Basic modes are both disabled in this version.
2. Zoom level can be altered using the mouse wheel when Alternative Mouse Input is enabled or with the keyboard using Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down. The mouse wheel should also work with Sfall's mouse input when the Ctrl key is held down.
3. Zooming out beyond your chosen screen resolution will display the whole map. This view will likely appear blurry as it will be visually compressed to fit your screen.
4. There is an option in the ini file IS_ZOOM_BOUND_BY_EDGES. Which when set will force the zoom resolution to always be within the bounds of the current map edges. This is for those who dislike seeing the black borders beyond map edges.
5. Screenshots are a little different. Pressing the F12 key will create a 24bit bmp(formerly 8bit). Pressing Ctrl+F12 will create an 8bit bmp of the window the mouse is currently over. This should allow you to take a Screenshot of the whole map when zoomed out to max.

Hello all back again, new versions are up, links in my sig as usual. Version 4.1.8.

ZOOMING
You will notice a couple of extra links below, I've finally have zooming working, although there are likely a few bug lurking. For this reason the zoom versions should be considered experimental for now.
Here's a few details copied from the readme:
1. In this version only DirectX9 mode can be used. DirectDraw7 and Basic modes are both disabled in this version.
2. Zoom level can be altered using the mouse wheel when Alternative Mouse Input is enabled or with the keyboard using Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down. The mouse wheel should also work with Sfall's mouse input when the Ctrl key is held down.
3. Zooming out beyond your chosen screen resolution will display the whole map. This view will likely appear blurry as it will be visually compressed to fit your screen.
4. There is an option in the ini file IS_ZOOM_BOUND_BY_EDGES. Which when set will force the zoom resolution to always be within the bounds of the current map edges. This is for those who dislike seeing the black borders beyond map edges.
5. Screenshots are a little different. Pressing the F12 key will create a 24bit bmp(formerly 8bit). Pressing Ctrl+F12 will create an 8bit bmp of the window the mouse is currently over. This should allow you to take a Screenshot of the whole map when zoomed out to max.

Hey there, good to see you again! :)

Just a question about the DirectX9 requirement, should we be concerned about this causing any compatibility or performance issues? Personally I don't use ddraw or f1_res in DX9 mode because it runs significantly slower on my system. That being said, I haven't tried it for a while, so I guess I can just try this release and let you know. :shrug: :look:

I like the new features; 8-bit screenshots was a pain if I forgot and saved real quick with MS Paint because it would corrupt the colors.

Last edited:
Can't wait to test the zoom...

Edit: Copied over to RP 2.3 - and I'm getting an error when starting the game:

"Error initializing video mode 640x480"

Changed the

; Set WINDOWED=1 to enable windowed mode.
WINDOWED=0

and it still wont start...

Last edited:
Back