IGN Fallout 3: Six Hours of Exploration

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by The Vault Dweller, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    Re: Stop - STOP - Stop, Stop If You've Heard / Seen This Bef

LOL wow! Borderline brilliant. :D

2. Ureshi

Ureshi It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 23, 2007
    Agreed 100%

Offtopic:

borderline lol :ugly: :cookie:

[spoiler:0fefc2141e][/spoiler:0fefc2141e]

3. Zeld

Zeld First time out of the vault

Jul 31, 2008
    I still remember how stupid it felt when you first time walked into invisible wall, with text: "You cannot go any further" appearing on corner of the screen.... And they still got nerve to talk about "immersion". Here's immersion for you, Beth. Pull your head out of your ass and see how different world really is. In real world there ain't boundaries like sigmoid colon and stuff.

4. ArmorB

ArmorB Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 24, 2007
    LOL the first ime for me I was sliding down a hill and then 'thud'. I had to jump along the wall for a while before I could get back out of the invisible wall/hillside trap...

5. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    These posts made my day.

This possibly implies that I have no life, but I don't care.

6. mandrake776

mandrake776 Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 24, 2008
    Really? I just went "Oh, ok. That's the edge of the map."

7. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    I know right. I guess it is time to turn back.

8. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    That's perfectly reasonable. And yet when speaking on the relationship between graphics and immersion, for instance, being able to go "Oh, OK, that 4-pixel conglomerate is a chair" is laughed off by a number of people.

Wasteland had both chunky chairs and invisible walls on the world map.

9. mandrake776

mandrake776 Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 24, 2008
    Bunch of pedants. You know you're playing a game. The only games that can get away with the entire game map being limited like that are extremely linear games. Fallout had nothing beyond the map, Warhawk has "damage zones" and I think those are all acceptable choices. Honestly I'm more ok with the idea that this is as far as I can go in a game rather than having the entire game world exist in valleys or on islands.

10. HoKa

HoKa Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 23, 2007
    Ahh. The joys of FPS immersion.

11. Humpsalot

Humpsalot Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 15, 2008
    so this guy played for SIX hours and the only thing new he found out was that a huge naval ship is used for shelter and people don't like Roy Phillips?

Im trying to remain hopeful and this is what you give me?

I could have told you that there was going to be people in that ship and Roy Phillips is not well accepted.

:?

12. Jiggly McNerdington

Jiggly McNerdington Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 14, 2007
    Tell you what would be a good mod if/when they release the toolset. Change it to say "You must gather your party before venturing forth".

13. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    in what way is this bad? sure, would be interesting with even more information. but what this proves is simply that the game is huge and that there's a lot to do and lot of different ways to go.

the best information we got from this article imo is that the area he went through to get to Rivet City was damn hard with lots of high level enemies. no level scaling here at least.

14. Bernard Bumner

Bernard Bumner Still Mildly Glowing

Feb 5, 2007
    But the argument isn't actually about suspension of disbelief, it is about the hypocrisy or inconsistency of Bethesda making appeals that a first-person perspective is required for immersion into the game world whilst simultaneously implementing the clumsiest and most intrusive form of map boundaries possible. Having said that, there clearly is also a problem with delivering such a poor piece of design.

It cuts the heart of, a) the veracity of their statements about the perspective change; b) their ability to implement their stated design philosophy as characterized by that change; c) their ability to deliver basic, decent, believable level design.

Taking away the Fallout epithet for a moment, and making an objective, even pragmatic, assessment. Does this kind of clumsy design sound like the best solution? Okay, I realise that there is an element of ...and when did you stop beating your wife? in that question, but it isn't as though a more satisfactory implementation is beyond the realms of technology.

As with so many other design decisions, it seems to be a bit of a botch. Not only that, but it seems to fit very well the characterization of Bethesda as promising one thing, but delivering another - all mouth and no trousers.

If you promise the world but deliver only a malformed planetoid, then you have failed. On your own terms.

15. sai | GLYPH

sai | GLYPH First time out of the vault

Jan 9, 2007
    Actually it indicates the opposite if... in 6 hours of gameplay, this preview allegedly offers little in the way of new material. It indicates
    ...that actual role playing may be very linear, as this preview largely retraces the same old things, and that the game may lack in variety.

16. Wazza

Wazza First time out of the vault

Sep 11, 2008
    All these issues.

And yet...

It'll still sell like hotcakes because it was made by Bethesda/looks like Oblivion with guns/you play with nukes/etc. In other words - all the little kiddies who're going to want it purely because it was nearly banned in some certain countries.

And so potentially ends the glorious reputation built up by the first two instalments in one swift stroke. Bloody depressing.

The nuke catapault is reminding me of the "Seriously, WTF are you doing with the series?!?" grumble that I had when I saw that slap-in-the-face bulldust movie Starship Troopers. Anyone who's read the books and saw it would've done a double-take when they saw A NUCLEAR GRENADE being used. Similar thing's happening right here it seems.

If anyone gets hold of modding tools, or improvises from existing ones... please, I'm begging you - change the damn thing. I'd accept a fricking Cow Pattie Launcher over this thing right about now...

17. thefalloutfan

thefalloutfan Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 17, 2008
    Or maybe, just maybe, there are people who just want to play a damn game after work without being so philosophical about gaming?

18. Ureshi

Ureshi It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 23, 2007
    No, thank you.

19. thefalloutfan

thefalloutfan Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 17, 2008
    Too bad, that's me.

20. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    Isn't that what shooters and arcade-style games are for? I don't see a place for RPGs there. Oh, wait, we're talking Fallout 3... :roll: