It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down.

The people got it right: Obsidian really understood what Fallout was about. Say what you want about the clusterffff NV is, it's awesome and it has depth. It may not be as dark as people may have wanted, but it's plausible, I think, except for Caesar's Legion and The Great Khans. They don't make any sense, I don't think you could imagine anything like that ever coming to existence in a post-apocalyptic world, but I didn't care, it was a lot fun. NV made want to try every single variation the game offered, and it offered plenty. It may not satisfy entirely die-hard fans (I really don't get this, F3 and NV are both great), who may have enjoyed F3 precisely because is a revamp of the old schools games, adding very little, except that is a 3D game, but I think that is the right path: depth, different ways to approach a quest, awesome, meaningful factions with which you interact in a complex way (your allegiance to some will affect other relationships) etc. And I like the simplicity of weapons in NV. I just want a damn good sniping rifle, I don't need 1000 variations. I welcome the effort, but the whole system is just f-word up. I couldn't care less about this sorry level system. Fallout NV is my fav game of all time, so, yeah, I think Obsidian did a better job.

The people got it right: Obsidian really understood what Fallout was about. Say what you want about the clusterffff NV is, it's awesome and it has depth. It may not be as dark as people may have wanted, but it's plausible, I think, except for Caesar's Legion and The Great Khans. They don't make any sense, I don't think you could imagine anything like that ever coming to existence in a post-apocalyptic world

I think Caesar's Legion was great. As for plausibility, it is kind of silly to argue that Caesar's legion is implausible but everything else is totally fine. Of course it is possible - Mad Max was full of crazy, stylized warlords. It's what makes the world interesting.

Not browsing through entire thread to see if this has been posted but it relates to the topic title:

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, if I may.

Seems like the game is already losing steam, at about 150+ hours in and after the main quest. Turns out the game has all the first impressions and none of the staying power.

But hell, you all know this already. You're goddamn prophets, the bunch of you. I'm new here and already impressed.

If anything, that's not even the only post available on this stuff. Tumbling down, indeed. How do you all do this? Foresight?

We have been dealing with this franchise for 18 years. We know a little about the ins and outs about Fallout. We also know how Bethesda games are received:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=37708

The bugs are not even a problem here. It's the bad writing, heartless game creating machine called bethesda doing minecraft plus call of duty combo.

Definitely. It's quite telling that I prefer to spend hours in Sanctuary Hills building my skyscrapers instead of questing and exploring. The world is boring, filled with skeletons in silly poses and target practice, the NPCs are boring and soulless, the quests are boring. Everything is boring.
Only settlement building is somewhat interesting, but that's only because I always had this fantasy of building a settlement with walls, houses, farms, settlers, and defending it, managing it and nurturing it. Didn't feel like playing around with it in mods for Skyrim or FNV because it felt unstable and odd. Minecraft didn't do it for me, The Sims didn't do it for me, City Skylines didn't do it for me. Fallout 4 is the closest game I ever played to fulfill this need of mine. It's still very bare-bones, buggy, annoying and so on, but it does provide some of what I craved for for a long time.

Definitely. It's quite telling that I prefer to spend hours in Sanctuary Hills building my skyscrapers instead of questing and exploring. The world is boring, filled with skeletons in silly poses and target practice, the NPCs are boring and soulless, the quests are boring. Everything is boring.
Only settlement building is somewhat interesting, but that's only because I always had this fantasy of building a settlement with walls, houses, farms, settlers, and defending it, managing it and nurturing it. Didn't feel like playing around with it in mods for Skyrim or FNV because it felt unstable and odd. Minecraft didn't do it for me, The Sims didn't do it for me, City Skylines didn't do it for me. Fallout 4 is the closest game I ever played to fulfill this need of mine. It's still very bare-bones, buggy, annoying and so on, but it does provide some of what I craved for for a long time.

Really? Sims fufills my building need.

I like putting toilets in the front yard of a property. It's funny to how a sim will take a dump in the front yard with no privacy while the others sims just stare.

I like putting toilets in the front yard of a property. It's funny to how a sim will take a dump in the front yard with no privacy while the others sims just stare.

I love drowning them... is something wrong?

I love giving them the worst possible personality traits and making their lives hell for my amusement. :twisted:

I love giving them the worst possible personality traits and making their lives hell for my amusement. :twisted:

Oh okay, everything is normal then. For a moment I thought that I was doing something bad when I made two room mates hate each other and always fight each other, with one suffering breakdowns each day.

Phew I thought I was the only one that liked to torture---I mean conduct social experiments on the poor citizens of simville. Once made a house with all the furnishings in the yard, I liked putting tons of toilets in the front yard then watching random next door neighbors walk over and take a dump in the toilets. So awkward but funny.

Phew I thought I was the only one that liked to torture---I mean conduct social experiments on the poor citizens of simville. Once made a house with all the furnishings in the yard, I liked putting tons of toilets in the front yard then watching random next door neighbors walk over and take a dump in the toilets. So awkward but funny.

Yeah, torture is the only reason I play sims.

Aw, hurray, a Sims-thread!
I one time carefully sculpted my sims to visually resemble 3 of my closest friends, and then went on to torment them in various ways
One of them got away cheap, since I realized he was able to meditate, which kind of fit his personality, so I made him meditate and then left him there (in Sims 2 at least, as long as they meditate, their stats are frozen. They can litterally meditate forever)

The other I made eat and eat and eat and eat, not cus he is fat or anything, but because it amused me. I refused him from using the toilet like a normal person, instead trying to leave as many piss-puddles around the house as possible

The third I made really faisty, having him constantly argue and fight with the others - which, since one was always meditating, meant the floor-pisser would be constantly yelled at

Oh, the fun :V

The bugs are not even a problem here. It's the bad writing, heartless game creating machine called bethesda doing minecraft plus call of duty combo.

Agreed, bugs are annoying but are nothing compared to the writing.

Exactly, back in the day we played many good old games which were full of bugs but we simply didn't care about them because the gameplay was amazing. Now we get bad gameplay AND bugs. Where is this world going...

I agree with you. And like I said in my huge thread I made - which you should all read - the building settlements thing is amazing. It should have been the cherry on top - but there's no cake unfortunately. I don't mind them doing it - it is a great feature and it is what I would expect eventually from a Fallout game - but at least they could have worked more on important things and hire some decent writers do it, people with talent. Judging how Bethesda is now - they grown a lot over last years. Their employee count probably increased tenfold. Which means they are taking every fool who finished any sort of college for programming or whatever and those are young people who are influenced by today's media, music movies and general dumbing down - therefore they can't produce a good game. Even their own child, TES is on a huge downfall after Morrowind.

I am not sure if that matters at all.

The normal employe has usually very little to say in the project. A coder, 3D modeler, animator etc. They just do what they are told. It's pretty much how it works in such huge teams. The people in charge, like Todd and Emil are responsible for the creative direction. No concept art or idea will be ever realized without their approval. And Todd has already decided to simplify the games like the Elder Scrolls like 15-20 years ago. And now the same simply happens with Fallout. The simpler the game is, the easier is it to consume, the more action it contains, the bigger the target audience will be, and thus selling more units and earning more money in the end.

They are doing it on purpose, and they know what they are doing.

For the same exact same reason why you're getting Big Macs and Chees Burgers at Mc Donalds instead of filet Mignons.

Last edited:
Back