Main Questline: Better or worse than Fallout 3's?

To me the whole thing about needing pure humans for androids is quite clear. Everyone was freaking out about how much of a stretch the extremely human-like androids are, this whole thing how they're not really fully androids is just a way to retcon it.

I still don't get Fallout 4. The story has too many damn plot holes.
Is it enough to be jarring and unenjoyable? To me the plotholes were always a secondary problem when it came to F3 - though they certainly didn't help, I always thought their severity is always overstated for added effect. What bothered me about F3 is how they completely missed the point - a Fallout story should not feel like a shallow action movie plotline, with mericuh and Gawd and "father NOOOO" and all that bs.

About the same IMO. Emil just isn't that great of a writer...but he's probably still win another writing award lol

To me the whole thing about needing pure humans for androids is quite clear. Everyone was freaking out about how much of a stretch the extremely human-like androids are, this whole thing how they're not really fully androids is just a way to retcon it.

I still don't get Fallout 4. The story has too many damn plot holes.
Is it enough to be jarring and unenjoyable? To me the plotholes were always a secondary problem when it came to F3 - though they certainly didn't help, I always thought their severity is always overstated for added effect. What bothered me about F3 is how they completely missed the point - a Fallout story should not feel like a shallow action movie plotline, with mericuh and Gawd and "father NOOOO" and all that bs.

Yes. Plot holes ruins stories for me. Especially ones that are big and obvious.

The "reveal" of Nicky Valentine was kinda cringeworthy. You ask his secretary what he looks like and she talks about his clothes, carefully ignoring the glowing-orange-eyed-with-chunks-of-rubber-skin-missing elephant in the room.

Well, can't let the player runing around, asking, I'm looking for my Synth. Glowing-orange-eyed-with-chunks-of-rubber-skin-missing Guy. Maybe you've seen him?

Well, he or she does run around looking for her baby boy. Named Shaun. Because sure, the baby boy will be known by that name after he was kidnapped as a toddler.
Seriously, the fucking Sole Survivor doesn't even know how long ago the kidnapping happened. That whole search is just doomed from the start, making the main quest utterly ridiculous.

Well, he or she does run around looking for her baby boy. Named Shaun. Because sure, the baby boy will be known by that name after he was kidnapped as a toddler.
Seriously, the fucking Sole Survivor doesn't even know how long ago the kidnapping happened. That whole search is just doomed from the start, making the main quest utterly ridiculous.

And that the quest line hinges on a blind lady telling you to go to Diamond city...

And that the quest line hinges on a blind lady telling you to go to Diamond city...

To be fair, you probably would have gone there anyway. Still, the point about Shaun just shows that whoever writes for Bethesda are just... spartanly furnished in the top floor.

Worse. While Fallout 3 was generic and uninteresting, at least it had some pretense of trying to be an RPG with some multiple (albeit very limited) solutions to some of the quests. Fallout 4 is a bore, every quest is just "Go here shoot these people/monsters and come back." While Fallout 3 had overused binary morality, at least it was something. Fallout 4 doesn't even have that much.

I may be biased but considering the fact that I wasn't forced to do the complete opposite of what I wanted like in Fallout 3 I'd say it's better.

I like to think that the writers at Bethesda are not even bad ... I guess they COULD create good plots and decent writing, if someone pushed them to do it. But my feelings are, someone is telling them to write the quests and NPCs like that. Because either the people in charge love this let us call it simplified stuff, OR they feel their playerbase is way to dumb to figure something out if it isnt as blunt like a sledge hammer hitting them right in the face. I mean imagine a situation where the game was not constantly on rails, and where OMG! the player had actually REALLY to figure something out on his own ... like in Morrowind! That doesn't even require quality writing, just a developer who feels that their player base is smart enough to eventually figure it out.

The ending of FO4 made my biggest fear come to life. There are no consequences. The "ending slides" don't exist in Fo4, only a 1 minute speech that goes like this "War never changes. I found Shaun. That happened. War never changes." :look:
I guess New Vegas is the last fallout that tells us what happens after your character passes trough the world and how he changes it.

I like to think that the writers at Bethesda are not even bad ... I guess they COULD create good plots and decent writing, if someone pushed them to do it. But my feelings are, someone is telling them to write the quests and NPCs like that. Because either the people in charge love this let us call it simplified stuff, OR they feel their playerbase is way to dumb to figure something out if it isnt as blunt like a sledge hammer hitting them right in the face. I mean imagine a situation where the game was not constantly on rails, and where OMG! the player had actually REALLY to figure something out on his own ... like in Morrowind! That doesn't even require quality writing, just a developer who feels that their player base is smart enough to eventually figure it out.

I think the issue is that the largest consumer demographic is also the least intelligent, least emotionally mature one so when the executives at Bethesda decided to cash out on the Fallout series they told the writers they had to make the story and gameplay appeal to the lowest common denominator.

What the fuck happened during the writing for this game Beth?

My guess is anyone who wanted to write an artistic Fallout game was demoted to the mail room and replaced with an M.B.A. executive who relied on a lot of "focus-testing" and "target demographics" and "Destiny did things THIS way, therefore we must as well."

Its hard for me to say if Fallout 4 main quest is better then 3's because Fallout 3 and 4 have the same STORY! Just reversed!

Back