Main Questline: Better or worse than Fallout 3's?

Fo4's main story is better than FO3's simply from the fact that you aren't forced to join a single faction. The writting in general is better, but the bar is set waaaaaay too low for that to be an achievement. Lots of cliches and heart string tugging. Will probably win Game Awards because people judging those are idiots.

Fo4's main story is better than FO3's simply from the fact that you aren't forced to join a single faction. The writting in general is better, but the bar is set waaaaaay too low for that to be an achievement. Lots of cliches and heart string tugging. Will probably win Game Awards because people judging those are idiots.

I think Fallout 3's story was better simply because it was far more believable and at least tried to fit into the universe. The whole point was protecting Project Purity which was at least grounded in reality. In fallout 4 they just went all out trying to be as unrealistic as possible. I understand that suspension of disbelief is important to enjoy science fiction, but that isn't a license to be completely absurd.

Yeah no, FO3's story is the complete opposite of beleivable and down to earth, it was even more absurd than Gorilla Synths.

Yeah no, FO3's story is the complete opposite of beleivable and down to earth, it was even more absurd than Gorilla Synths.

I'm not saying Fallout 3 was a great story, but have you seen Fallout 4's story? It has teleportation and brain-reading machines, ancient aliens, immortality serums, and that's just the first part of the story. In comparison, Fallout 3 is based around turning on a water purifier. I'd call that a lot more grounded.

Last edited:

I'm not saying Fallout 3 was a great story, but have you seen Fallout 4's story? It has teleportation and brain-reading machines, ancient aliens, immortality serums, and that's just the first part of the story. In comparison, Fallout 3 is based around turning on a water purifier. I'd call that a lot more grounded.

Yeah I agree, Fallout 4 has more well written moments but in the end it's crap.

Fallout 3's story was just as ridiculous and absurd while also extremely simplistic and embracing values Fallout normally satirized or criticized, but it was convinced it was deep and realistic, lack of self awareness or inappropiate tone makes a story worse by default. FO3 also had towns without farms built around nukes, a purifier with magical radiation dispensers and very black and white morality and full of inconsistencies and plot contrievances.

Fallout 4, while not a stellar story has more of a grey morality to it's factions, maybe too grey as they sometimes just do absurdly dickish things in a clumsy attempt to make them more "layered" and it tends to remove player agency entirely for that too, but you are never forced to fight alongside the Knighst in Shining armor of the wastes against the Devil looking Galactic Empire.

"More grounded" is not an automatic sign of quality either, it can actually make a story worse if there isn't enough work put on the research of the writter. Sometimes it can even make a story duller too. It all varies from Story to story. Some great stories have also been told in extremely absurd settings.

It all depends on the story and tone you want to achieve and how appropiate it is with the material at hand.

It all depends on the story and tone you want to achieve and how appropiate it is with the material at hand.

Aye. So if the story made sense in the world's context then yeah it's great, but when we do a story based on Sparkle the Unicorn in a grim medieval setting, then you have a problem.

Back