Main Questline: Better or worse than Fallout 3's?

Well, he or she does run around looking for her baby boy. Named Shaun. Because sure, the baby boy will be known by that name after he was kidnapped as a toddler.
Seriously, the fucking Sole Survivor doesn't even know how long ago the kidnapping happened. That whole search is just doomed from the start, making the main quest utterly ridiculous.
Yeah, I saw that coming a mile away the Sole Survivor was refrozen, it's really stupid that they themselves didn't think of the possibility.

Well, he or she does run around looking for her baby boy. Named Shaun. Because sure, the baby boy will be known by that name after he was kidnapped as a toddler.
Seriously, the fucking Sole Survivor doesn't even know how long ago the kidnapping happened. That whole search is just doomed from the start, making the main quest utterly ridiculous.
Yeah, I saw that coming a mile away the Sole Survivor was refrozen, it's really stupid that they themselves didn't think of the possibility.

Also why did the freezer thing fail for some reason? What happened to the other people? Did they see the whole thing happen or was it a one off case that only worked for the sole survivor?

Which makes no sense

As they got into the Vault in the first place to get "unmutated" human dna samples.... Leaving only one untainted human as "back up" is dumb when you could've just either kidnapped the whole Vault or leave everyone frozen to have more to pick from later on.

Altho Shaun says that you were refrozen and unfrozen as an "experiment" of his, which makes no sense because you were refrozen when he wasn't even a year old....

I think Father meant he let him out as an experiment. Haven't sided with the Institute yet. Is their plan really evil or what? Trying to figure out which ending might be canon. I went with BoS since I assumed that might be it.

I have to wonder if any of the people in this thread that are complaining even played the game. The story is far superior to FO3, and it has way more grey to it. I won't say much about it, as there may or may not be people here that have no finished the game, but it's way more grey than "The Enclave wants to kill everyone, and the Brotherhood wants to save everyone." The people saying "it's just Fallout 3 reversed" are idiots and need to actually play the game or pay attention to the story. Yeah, the initial set up is similar. Lots of stories have similar set-ups. Is Star Wars the same as your typical fantasy princess-knight story, just because Luke Skywalker has to save Princess Leia? Of course not. Similar set-up, but the entire story is unique. You aren't trying to help your son fix the water situation in the Commonwealth. That would be the same story, reversed. If your comprehension of a story is based only on the set-up, then you have no right criticizing stories at all.

As for whether the story is better than New Vegas's or not? Let's not get crazy here.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if any of the people in this thread that are complaining even played the game. The story is far superior to FO3, and it has way more grey to it. I won't say much about it, as there may or may not be people here that have no finished the game, but it's way more grey than "The Enclave wants to kill everyone, and the Brotherhood wants to save everyone." The people saying "it's just Fallout 3 reversed" are idiots and need to actually play the game or pay attention to the story. Yeah, the initial set up is similar. Lots of stories have similar set-ups. Is Star Wars the same as your typical fantasy princess-knight story, just because Luke Skywalker has to save Princess Leia? Of course not. Similar set-up, but the entire story is unique. You aren't trying to help your son fix the water situation in the Commonwealth. That would be the same story, reversed. If your comprehension of a story is based only on the set-up, then you have no right criticizing stories at all.

As for whether the story is better than New Vegas's or not? Let's not get crazy here.

Many of us here have in fact played it. The finding a loved one story is the primary motivator for most of the game. The story is better than Fallout 3 (not saying much) and yes it does feature a much greyer morality which should be commended. But lets not fool ourselves here - there is nothing amazing about the story or dialog. In fact I want to know more about the story, factions, and characters because there is so little to go on.

I don't go down the main quest too much, but god damn it, why is my player character such wimp when it comes to his son?! Every time he talks about his son he sounds as if he was about to break down in tears. And the fact that during the investigation with Nick you have to use up *all* the options, even the pathetic ones, annoyed me to on end. Even if I wanted to roleplay as a grisly, gruff military veteran, I can't, because he gets all soft every time he talks about Shaun.

Way to go Bethesda, way to go...

I don't go down the main quest too much, but god damn it, why is my player character such wimp when it comes to his son?! Every time he talks about his son he sounds as if he was about to break down in tears. And the fact that during the investigation with Nick you have to use up *all* the options, even the pathetic ones, annoyed me to on end. Even if I wanted to roleplay as a grisly, gruff military veteran, I can't, because he gets all soft every time he talks about Shaun.

Way to go Bethesda, way to go...

Gruff veteran who cries about his son and gets angry over his wife.

Which makes no sense

As they got into the Vault in the first place to get "unmutated" human dna samples.... Leaving only one untainted human as "back up" is dumb when you could've just either kidnapped the whole Vault or leave everyone frozen to have more to pick from later on.

Altho Shaun says that you were refrozen and unfrozen as an "experiment" of his, which makes no sense because you were refrozen when he wasn't even a year old....

What if he planed it all - and I mean ALL(!) of it - while he was still in the womb of his mother! Than he might have been ready for the experiment with 1 year.

Which makes no sense

What if he planed it all - and I mean ALL(!) of it - while he was still in the womb of his mother! Than he might have been ready for the experiment with 1 year.

Woah... it explains everything... DUN DUN DUN!!!

Which makes no sense

No, he says you specifically were re-frozen in case he died, and they needed to take DNA from you to complete the synths. He did not order you being re-frozen, he only ordered you being unfrozen the second time.

He also says the others were killed because they weren't related to him, and thus wouldn't have served as viable donors to complete the synth DNA project should he die. You, being his mother/father, are related to him, and thus did serve as a viable host to harvest DNA from, which is why you specifically were re-frozen and no one else.

Last edited:
The thing about Kellogg being like 100 or older, but never actually looks any different as he ages...OK he's a cyborg and might not necessarily look older. But when you're tracking him down from Diamond City, people say like "oh yeah Kellogg was here with a 10yo boy some time ago". Some time ago = 50 years??? And his cigars and shit are still just sitting around the Commonwealth fresh enough for Dog to track down? Come on.

Which makes no sense

No, he says you specifically were re-frozen in case he died, and they needed to take DNA from you to complete the synths. He did not order you being re-frozen, he only ordered you being unfrozen the second time.

He also says the others were killed because they weren't related to him, and thus wouldn't have served as viable donors to complete the synth DNA project should he die. You, being his mother/father, are related to him, and thus did serve as a viable host to harvest DNA from, which is why you specifically were re-frozen and no one else.

And why do they need people related to him? Why not just abduct another couple of popsicles so they could have more backups in case the first died? I mean the institute has access to teleportation technology so they kidnapping a few Vault Dwellers wouldn't even be a hassle to transport, they could've taken the entire Vault. It really makes no sense.

Maybe, being a baby, Shaun was far more likely to have fewer mutations in his DNA, compared to the adults in Vault 111. Maybe this is why Kellogg chose him. If Shaun didn't work, they could just go back to Vault 111 and get another popsicle.

A baby's easier to transport as well, can't be much fun to drag a grown human back to The Institute.

A baby's easier to transport as well, can't be much fun to drag a grown human back to The Institute.

No need to drag them, really. They're thawed confused people with a nuclear war as their last memory. i'm pretty sure they'd come along peacefully if you promise them safety.

They also have teleportation technology.... Why did they even left Shaun with Kellog for 10 years? Weren't they after UNMUTATED DNA? Why leave their sole cell donor living in a wasteland city for 10 years? This game introduces "Radiation storms" so wouldn't that just defeat the propouse of getting an unmutated human in the first place?

Back