Mass Effect 3 discussion

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by brfritos, May 11, 2011.

1. brfritos

brfritos Humma Kavulaaaaaaa

Sep 8, 2009
    And you even argued with guy the in the comments, telling he don't know squat about RPGs. :lol:
    Kudos to you.

And people, if you thinked that it can't get any worse than what we've seen until now, IT CAN!
    Take a look at this. Is a video of the actual game, being played in the so called "RPG mode", with the settings configured for Shepard's full control of conversation.

The first thing you will note is that most of the dialogs and worse, the decisions, are automatic.
    Then you have another thing I've never imagined seeing in a ME game, pointers on the screen telling what to do!!!

For completition you have Shepard mounting in a cannon and shooting things, a lá CoD! :facepalm:

Is not Gears of Effect or Mass of War my friends, is more fuck' up than this!

2. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    This is even more weird now that GAME and Gamestation (the only British game stores still around) are no longer selling the Mass Effect 3 collectors edition which was meant to be their exclusive. Bit of an incident occured as they had to refund everyone who brought it and it shows how bad their financial situation is (both are owned by the same company).

3. DevilTakeMe

DevilTakeMe Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 12, 2011
    This gets even more hilarious in hindsight when you consider that one of Bioware's founders thinks this exact sort of gameplay is why Grand Theft Auto isn't an RPG and also why JRPGs have fallen to the wayside.

4. agiel7

agiel7 First time out of the vault

Oct 3, 2010
    Besides the completely outrageous DLC situation and maybe the little overdone marketing and hype machine behind this game, this looks to be a massive improvement over Mass Effect 2. And I don't mean it as in a "But considering Mass Effect 2 was a seriously dumbed down shooter with wonky dialogue mechanics" kind of way, but as in that Mass Effect 3 was a real big turn-around on Bioware's part. They seemed to address some of my biggest problems with Mass Effect 2 (i.e. the fact that in ME2 the game punishes you for taking an evenhanded approach).

God knows I think I'll enjoy this a hell of a lot more than Dragon Age 2. That piece of shit still makes me huff to this day just thinking about it.

5. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    Some people watching the streams were disappointed by a lack of dialogue options.

Anyway ending(and general) spoilers:

[spoiler:978d8196ff]None of your choice/consequences in the previous games affect the start of most quests, if a character is dead they are just replaced by a another character. They do affect how quests end.

For the best destroy ending, it's Halo. You know the same ending as Halo 3/Halo Wars/One of the Halo novels.

Also the ending comes down to three paths you can take for a ending, just like Deus Ex. Your galactic points you get in the game decide bad/good endings for two of the choices.[/spoiler:978d8196ff]

6. brfritos

brfritos Humma Kavulaaaaaaa

Sep 8, 2009
    But the entire gameplay remembers too much DA2. Isn't this a little contradictory? :scratch:

Isn't just that, you have the lack of dialog options and some auto-conversations are also making decisions, hence the feeling you have posted in your spoilers.

I think this is far worse, a game supposedly being labeled "RPG" having auto-conversations and now auto-decisions.

7. agiel7

Oct 3, 2010
    The difference being that my expectations of a sequel are usually informed by the game that preceded them in their *respective* franchises.

For ME2, sure I expected the shooting to be a bit more refined, the abilities expanded, as well as making the planetary exploration better. Unfortunately, the solution Bioware had resorted to was making it Gears of War at the cost of making the RPG aspect damned near inconsequential, and completely removing the exploration aspect of ME1 and replacing it with something a million times more tedious.

For Dragon Age 2, considering all the things in Dragon Age: Origins seemed to work out pretty damned good for Bioware, I expected a refinement of the original formula without necessarily omitting things. Instead, that was precisesly what Bioware did (drastically limiting the customisation of your party members, removing the overhead view, etc.)

Put it this way: I didn't get the first Mass Effect expecting that it would be a space version of Neverwinter Nights. All in all, I think Mass Effect 3 at least tries to reconcile with people who thought Mass Effect 2 was way too dumbed down (whether or not you think Bioware was successful in that regards is a whole nother can o'worms).

8. Serge 13

Serge 13 Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Played this game for a couple of hours today.

Pros:

-Weapon mods
    -Graphics
    -Soundtrack

Cons:

-Controls haven't improved that much, whatever you heard in the interviews are 99.99% bullshit

-Quests: Most of the times they just get thrown at you once you pass by a stranger who is talking about something he/she needs with some other stranger. Awesome! This way you can throw fetch quest at the player without the need of a proper conversation! Also, these are given to you without any sort of indication as to where/how they should be solved, not to mention that most of them are pointless to the point where they make you wanna cry...jeez!

[spoiler:353f3f3d48]-Jack: who the bloody cunt fuck wrote the dialogues for jack?! FERFUCKSSAKE!!! I could write better and I am not even a native speaker! This had to be the most single piece of juvenile shit I have had to encounter in a game so far! Good lord![/spoiler:353f3f3d48]

9. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Bioware forums are a tad interesting at the moment due to the Mass Effect 3 storyline, to put it politely.

10. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    The game is not marketed as an RPG anymore.

I am jealous, I want to pop space moles as soon as I can aswell. :(

"Politely" is an understatement, these forums over at the BSN are a great read. :D

11. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    This guy's reaching a bit imo. As a commenter said, he left out several important bits that differenciate both games. When someone mentions the tone of Anachronox was much lighter and that the gameplay was totally different, he dismissed the arguments IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT MAKES WHAT YOU SAY TRUE, There are similarities, yes, that's true, but going on and on about the story being a slap in the face and whatnot really hurts his credibility.

12. Serge 13

Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    So they modelled this Diana Allers character after IGN's Chobot?! Cool!

She's one helluva sperm bank! :smug:

13. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    It's like they took everything could be considered attractive about Chobot's face and made it into a nightmare.

14. DevilTakeMe

DevilTakeMe Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 12, 2011
    That right there is firmly wedged into Uncanny Valley. It's creepy.

15. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
  16. TorontoReign

TorontoReign This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    I really liked the debate you had with him. I like how he thinks his article is so long, and that people that disagree obviously haven't read it! He seems to get snippy with anyone who disagrees with him too, which is entertaining reading material. It seemed like he backed down because you overwhelmed him with your knowledge of the subject. :smile:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will start by saying that I dislike most of the popular games out right now. This is just my personal gaming preference though, so don't take offense to what I say. I am a jaded bastard, so take that for what it's worth.

I am beginning to feel like a miserable prick when I go to Gamestop to buy games (or not buy them). I don't know if I have some kind of problem or what. Everyone praises Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, or Call of Duty, every time I walk in a game store. It pains me to hear people do this. I get anxious and want to run screaming out the door when people praise Mass Effect as the "King of RPG's", as many have on quite a few occasions. I actually started to get into a debate on how overrated Skyrim was with one of the employees at Gamestop, and he basically acted like I was a fucking moron. He actually stopped listening to what I had to say, pretended like he was doing some paperwork, and totally blew me off because I disagreed with him! I felt like a fool for even attempting to continue the conversation, so I just wandered out of the store in a daze.

My girlfriend even commented on it.... She said, " You don't agree with many people about games do you? That guy totally blew you off he was so annoyed."

No one can argue that Mass Effect is an insanely popular series which has a rather large (and sometimes odd) fanbase, but some of the changes made to ME 2, and especially ME 3, hurt RPG 's in my opinion. If uninformed gamers think that ME is the perfect example of a RPG it kinda worries me. Some might argue that the game isn't marketed as a RPG anymore, but it seems to me that many gamers are confused about what the game is to begin with. The blending of genres has a lot to do with that I suppose.

I actually enjoyed Mass Effect 1 a bit, but they raped everything I liked about it with both the sequels. I know I am not the only one who feels this way, but I also know I am in the minority. Now I'm not saying that the games are horrible, or people are stupid for liking them, but I am saying that I can't make myself enjoy these games for some reason. I feel like I am missing out in a way though. I have been in the biggest gaming rut in a long time. Fewer and fewer games are being released that I give a fuck about. Many of my most beloved franchises are being mishandled.

Anyway, I kinda ranted a bit there. Please forgive me. No offense intended to anyone who enjoys those games either.

17. Serge 13

Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Tell your girlfriend to shut up! Your an awesome guy! :D

18. TorontoReign

TorontoReign This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Thanks. I feel much cooler now. :lol:

19. agiel7

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't have a very high opinion of Skyrim either, but when people I know personally talk about the game and ask for my thoughts, I usually politely reply that it didn't quite hold my attention for as long as it did for them, and say I've been spending more time with Shogun 2 and DCS: A-10C (learn how to cold start an A-10C and then execute a JTAC 9-line strike on a column of T-80s with a CBU-105 and you can safely say no one can ever call you out on being a shallow gamer). In my experience, they just leave it at that, and we continue talking about other things.