Mass Effect 3 discussion

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by brfritos, May 11, 2011.

1. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    They do it well when NPCs bring up aspects of relationships or sexuality. Like the armory officer that mentions having a husband back on Earth. It's telling me, the player, that in 218x same gendered relationships are accepted, even in the military. It flows so much better than Liara saying,
    "this is a device that will save the galaxy, do you still wanna be together?"

2. Serge 13

Serge 13 Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Aaaannnnnnnd beaten! :D

I must say that I liked the ending. It was a lot better compared to some of the crappy endings I saw last year.(Yes RAGE...I'm looking at you! :evil: )

Also, Clint Mansell did an awesome job on the soundtrack.

3. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Moar impressions; it just keeps getting better and better, I need to wrestle myself out of my computer to stop playing, hasn't happened since I played Human Revolution at least. The soundtrack is absolutely top notch, Mansell found a great balance between ME1's synth and ME2's more bombastic orchestras. Atmosphere is very good too, you feel like this is a war, and an hopeless one at that. New characters are generally interesting; Cortez and Samantha are nice to have around, Vega is kind of a douche, but he's balanced by the awesomeness of the returning crew (Wrex stays on the Normandy! I mean cmon). The main quests got increased in depth, and many side-quests are also much better now, having a story weaved around them connected to the main plot and tangible rewards (getting the Claymore shotgun for my Vanguard AND meeting Grunt in one really well-crafted mission, whose existence depends ojn a choice made in ME1? Hell yes please).

Also, while this may not be TW2, actions and decisions do have consequences, moreso than in the first two games, noticeably in the form of War Assets. Past actions can increase or decrease the Assets you get, and you can sometimes choose between more Assets or more personnal bonuses. It's not game-changing, but there are many little touches.

Writing is also good, better than ME2 and DA2 at any rate. The Citadel has some true gems. I couldn't stop laughting at Blasto's show. You'll know when you see it.

Gameplay is really extremely good. Not repetitive at all, each mission has it's own gimmick that make it interesting, and it seems they all feature a new enemy or weapon. Variety is the name of that game. While the levels are certainly linear, many big rooms are very open, and the enemies will mercilessly flank you or spam greandes, or block key chokepoints with those damn turrets. Many things to look out for, I absolutely adore the high risk-high reward gamelay of my Vanguard.

That said, some things bug me. A few side quests are just about overhearing someone talking on the Citadel, going to a planet, scanning while avoiding Reapers (which is an annoying minigame, but at least it's much less tedious than farming minerals), probing the item, then speaking to the person again. Boring stuff. Also, EDI, and by extension Joker. Seriously, Bioware, was this really neccessary? What is this, Austin Powers? Also, the dream sequence with the kid? I know the stakes, every second mission has many people die to the Reapers. Stop hammering me over the head with the damn kids.

Still, very pleased so far, if this keeps up we have the best game in the series right here.

4. brfritos

brfritos Humma Kavulaaaaaaa

Sep 8, 2009
    Beaten here too, I liked a lot of certain aspects.

I tried the three endings, but because this is my first playthrough of course I wasn't able to survive, since my effective war assets at the time were 3278 (I think you need 4000 to at least thinking in survival).

Joker and EDI make a lot of sense in one of the game's end, I can guarantee you (the romance is not automatic, BTW but more than that I will spoil things).
    That said, the real problem is her figure, the all "hot bot".
    A more down to earth one would be better.

Her lines are very good and her questions are stimulant, of course nothing original, but competent maded.

The only problem is the game propose A LOT of questions about life, humanity and the singularity theory.
    My honest opinion? This game need at least more 10 hours to be understandable without plot holes.
    Otherwise you need to make a huge brainstorm, because the given solution appears to be "space magic", wich in fact it isn't.

If I spoiled something excuse me, it wasn't my intention.

5. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
  6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ^ Hahahaha that's hilarious. They better hope they acquired the proper rights for the stock photos or they can get their asses sued :D

And oddly, I just watched TTGL today. Funny similarities, though I doubt ME3 has much "drilling" other than in the certain sex scenes :roll:

7. brfritos

Sep 8, 2009
    At least this time they ARE sex scenes.

If you wanna include this type of content in a game, at least do it right, unlike that PoS in ME2.

8. Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jul 9, 2004
    Playing ME3 at the moment. All I can say is that they didn't playtest Insanity at all.

If you've ever played CoD: World at War, and remember enemies endlessly spamming insta-kill grenades at you, that's EXACTLY what they've turned ME3 into.

It's a mess.

9. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    anyone else having bugs with their imported saves and the choices you made in previous games? one second I saved the rachni queen in ME1, then next I didn't...

haven't seen any more of these, but I haven't played much yet either.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I dunno, considering the range of facial expressions on Shepard, I can only imagine it being really awkward. Well, sex scenes in Bioware games have always made me laugh to begin with. I still remember that bug in DA:O that prevented armor removal during those scenes. Nothing like humping a fullplate :lol:

Can it be? Schroedinger Queen? :shock:

I've heard something about import bugs and patches, but don't know the detail. Sounds like you're having a different type of bug than what I read about though.

11. Serge 13

Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Awww, my shephard looks sooo cute! :lalala:

:lol:

12. ZeusComplex

ZeusComplex Still Mildly Glowing

Feb 12, 2010
    I had the issue where my face couldn't be read and I had to remake it. Luckily, ME's character creation isn't that deep, so it was easy to replicate. I would be extremely pissed off if I where a part of the unfortunate few who had entire past choices of the game completely ignored in game.

13. brfritos

Sep 8, 2009
    Or grabbing eatch other swords and axes.
    Ouch! :shock:

But honestly this time isn't THAT bad, at least you have people kissing lip to lip, something that was only hinted in previous games or badly executed.

I don't know, every time I see some developer including sex and sexuality in a game is always in the same view: women are hookers, mens are go-go boys and faggots, the only location you see them are in strip-bars, etc.
    There are very few games that aren't like this.
    Since we are in the early stages of games being recognized as another form of art or at least a valid form of entertainment not only designed for children and kids, we still need to see the Spielbergs, Antonionis and Bertoluccis of this medium, capable of joining sexuality to a story in a sensible manner.

Yes I'm having bugs in the import too, people are mostly concerned with the face import at this time, but there are decisions that don't import correctly.
    I have some saves with everyone dead, but the import says the opposite, everyone is alive.

I noted more errors in saves created with save editors, specially regarding how many skill points are available, but even normal saves created with ME1/ME2 contain some errors.

The game definitely needs a patch, there are a lot of errors regarding the enviroment, sound, animations and such.
    And I'm not talking about Shepard's animation, this issue don't have a cure, is bad not matter what. :lol:

14. agiel7

agiel7 First time out of the vault

Oct 3, 2010
    Considering that I really can't remember any moments that were laugh out loud funny for me in the first 2 Mass Effect games (save for maybe bringing Legion along with me on Tali's loyalty quest), that ME3 made me crack up twice is quite the feat. I wasn't a huge fan of the self-referential humour of ME2, but the discussion between Vega and Cortez over the Mako was the hardest I've laughed in a ME game, and there's an utterly fantastic Hunt For Red October (film version) reference come the Quarian chapter of the game.

I hope I'm not the only one here who actually enjoys James' company. Sure, he's a stereotypical jarhead, but the character role is effective and Freddie Prinze Jr has a decent voice to boot (he's a damned sight more interesting than Jacob, who hasn't improved since ME2, that much is certain).

15. Serge 13

Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    My characters face looked like a monkey at first, but then it got fixed after the patch. Udina was also the embassador instead of Anderson which is not what I chose back then when I was playing ME2.

16. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I think some changes had been forced, wasn't it like this? Like, some party members had been alive, regardless of if they died in ME2 or not. Stuff like that was said some month ago from BioWare.

Finished the game last night. I am giving the space-shooter soap opera 8 of 10 points, which is one point more than my initial 7 of 10. It's fucking linear, not an rpg, the beginning is really cheesy, the dialog totally stupid in times, but still it has quite a few pretty and epic moments, which make up for it, imo. I liked the ending too, even though there was this child-detail, which pissed me off, because I don't give a shit about this stupid child.

Had 3020 something-something war assets and I thought that it was maxed out? Now I read above that it goes up to 4000? Sucks (the bar looked full!).

I didn't liked how the gay romances are handled. First time I met that dude in the shuttle bay, it felt like BioWare was punching his penis into my face. In general the romances felt really stupid this time around, imo. To me it was as if the whole game had been only about romances and the rest you do is just sidestory.

Anyway... my character at the beginning of the end of the game:

17. Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jul 9, 2004
    Well, here's a fun bug: Your money will randomly disappear. All of it. Checked around and it's not a PC only thing, happens on the 360 as well.

Been saving up cash for the last 10+ hours to unlock those ridiculously expensive Spectre weapons? Well go fuck yourself buddy, because whenever you die and load an auto-save you've got a chance for your cash (and medi-gel/ship fuel for whatever reason) to be set to 0.

Fuck you Bioware.

18. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    How long is the game Lexx? Hours wise...

19. agiel7

agiel7 First time out of the vault

Oct 3, 2010
    I should hope that your Shepard is a reference to Enki Bilal's comic book series. If so:

\m/

20. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Yes, that's where I've got the name from. I use it in a lot games. It's like my second name by now.

I have played ME3 for around 24 hours now. At least that's what my savegame says. With reloads and stuff, I am sure it's a bit more.

I *think* I have all sectors at 100%. There are some quests which I can't complete, though, cause I have done the respective quests already and can't get back to the locations (as far as I can see). They aren't cancled, so that gives me 4 or so quests in my questlog which are still active...