NFL 2011

Beer in the fridge, logs on the fireplace, bong full of purps, christmas tree lights reflecting off the TV. Aww yeah.
Happy Festivus!

UniversalWolf said:
An undefeated season would have been nice, but as I'm sure you can attest it's not so wonderful if you don't win the Super Bowl, so meh.
Especially when you watch the SB with your asshole Giant fan neighbors. But to win their 4th SB w/a 17-0 record and all those others numbers would've been without any remotely close precedent, so it's hard to fault. It would've been the cherry on top of a wonderful Belichik "fuck you NFL" sundae though. Bill's getting soft I think, needs Crennel or Weis back to call him out.

401712_10150457672024093_132719714092_8627338_2003849213_n.jpg

Go Saints and Roll Tide!

Know what I hate most about ESPN? They're deceptive. They put a rolling list of upcoming topics on the left side of the screen, but they have no qualms about sneaking new ones into the list without any notice. On many occasions I've waited while the one story I was interested in kept getting bumped up up up the list, only to have the hour end right before it got to the bottom. NFLN almost always sticks to the list. New segments go to the end of the line, thank you very much.

DammitBoy said:
Go Saints and Roll Tide!
I would mock you but I won't for the sake of Don Hutson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Hutson

UniversalWolf said:
Know what I hate most about ESPN?
Lots of reasons, I think the core of most for me stems from
1. too corporatized and big now. Have to appeal to LCD with easy to digest, inoffensive pablum with flashy graphics.
2. They report on their own broadcast partners. Which results in some pretty sunny reporting on everything. Look no further than the MNF crew, all sunshine and lollipops, and I can guarantee Gruden and Jaws aren't like that behind closed doors. Tirico is just a corporate whore/puppet/shill.
Then you have the filler shit with the Skip Bayless, Kornheiser types.

I think you just have to accept it for what it is - something to watch while you kill time eating lunch or in an airport bar, that's it.

What's the alternative though?
That NFL matchup show isn't bad the few bits I've caught. Peter King isn't all that bad when he just does his scoops. But goddamn, there's really no excuse to give Mike Florio a platform like that to spread his yellow journalism.

Roll Tide!
I like Bama. They are the legit #2.
That said it highlights how fucking stupid the BCS is that they get a rematch after they lost at home to LSU, then sat at home resting while LSU was fighting for the SEC championship.

Fond memories of that ...?? '93 championship game where Bama beat the U. That was a great game, one of the most dominant D's I've ever seen in college.

Skip Bayless... :roll:

I can always tell I'm right if Skip Bayless thinks I'm wrong. Bayless and Stuart Scott are the two ESPNers who consistently drive me nuts.

Behold, the mighty Matt Flynn resume game!

I think Cleveland and Seattle are his two most likely destinations.

Detroit still hasn't won in Green Bay since '91!

Oh man, I thought the Pats were a weak #1 seed last year, that they got it again only highlights how weak the AFC field is. Yuck.

Nasty injury in that Broncos game, lineman's foot was pointed backwards.

Yeah, the AFC is baaaaaaad, except for the AFC North, so I still fully expect the Superbowl team to come from there.

UniversalWolf said:
Behold, the mighty Matt Flynn resume game!

I think Cleveland and Seattle are his two most likely destinations.

He'll be overpaid like crazy based on a smaller resume than Kolb. But then again, Seattle FO knows the Packers players so we have a step up in that regard.

Best touchdown of the year...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5jNCZzTkvI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

That was pretty cool, shades of Randall Cunningham.

What's more fun in sports though than the NYC post-meltdown media/fan feeding frenzy? So tasty.

Good on the Giants and Coughlin, I think they have the right combo of pass rush and DB depth to be dangerous. Eli has really turned into one hell of a 4thQtr/Hurry Up/No-huddle QB.

Tebow in playoffs, ugh.

Brother None said:
He'll be overpaid like crazy based on a smaller resume than Kolb. But then again, Seattle FO knows the Packers players so we have a step up in that regard.
I've heard it suggested that the Packers might franchise Flynn and trade him. Not sure about the rules with that, or whether the team would go that route, but it's a possibility. He wouldn't be too crazy about that option, I'm sure.

So'oto finally got to play some in that Lions game and had a sack.

UniversalWolf said:
I've heard it suggested that the Packers might franchise Flynn and trade him. Not sure about the rules with that, or whether the team would go that route, but it's a possibility. He wouldn't be too crazy about that option, I'm sure.

It's definitely allowed, Pats did with Cassel remember? There's a little bit of risk involved, especially considering you'll get a high compensatory pick for Flynn anyway since the Pack never sign FAs, but it's certainly possible.

UniversalWolf said:
So'oto finally got to play some in that Lions game and had a sack.

So'oto baby.

I don't think they get a high comp pick for him 'cuz he was on the bench all year, but I'm not 100% on that.

eom said:
I don't think they get a high comp pick for him '{Beat me like a baby seal "cuz" I am STOOPID!} he was on the bench all year, but I'm not 100% on that.

I don't think that matters to a comp pick. What matters is how much he is paid and plays for his next team. AdamJT, who made a study of this (the model isn't public), figured it as this:
Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors. It should be noted that the contract value used in the equation does not include some parts of the contract, and that the contract information reported in the media is often incorrect.

See more here.

oh, I had thought it factored contract value with the packers -- not the new team.

well, we'll see, I guess --- don't see that the guy will be crying all that much.
and if he does, he can wipe his nose with solid gold kleenex.

UniversalWolf said:
He'd make more on the open market and have control over where he goes. You'd have to have a lot of faith in your org. that they wouldn't screw you just so they could get a better pick. The Cassel deal was pretty unique in how close all the parties were. I wouldn't have trusted the Patriots with that control over me in that position.

They'll probably get something decent back, but you look at those Cassel, Kolb deals. Who got there better end?
Highlights how much of a dearth of QBs there is to fill 32 teams in a passing league.

Flynn's got the goods, but lighting up the Pats secondary...shit, Vince Young threw for 400yards on them.

You do realize a franchise tag isn't voluntary, right, Cimms? You can opt not to sign it, but then the team still has exclusive rights to you.

Right, but that won't help either party achieve what they want. He wants a starting position and FA money, they want to optimize compensation. He doesn't want to hold out for nothing, they don't want to get stuck paying him top 5 QB money to ride pine. Both parties have to have a lot of trust/faith in each other to do the mutually beneficial thing. The Cassel deal appeared smooth and easy only because they were all in bed together, and it was likely all worked out beforehand. This kind of move doesn't happen a lot because of many of the unscrupulous, selfish fuckwads that a lot of agents, FOs and players that are in the NFL. I don't think Flynn or the Packers fall into that category though.

Been a Happy New Year so far for Pats fans. Jets meltdown and embarrass themselves. Irsay purging house like Joe Stalin on a Stoli bender.

Too bad the Polian-ization of the NFL still lingers though.

edit:
Starting to look at playoffs, AFC is so weak. Nobody in that group can beat NO or GB. Pitt banged up, Baltimore hot and cold, Pats so soft and vulnerable.
Denver thinks they can win playing ugly, about to get schooled on ugly football by the masters.

I'd kind of like to see a Baltimore/NO matchup. Doubt it will happen though.

No caption needed:
Screen-Shot-2012-01-06-at-2.32.33-PM-480x359.png

Cimmerian Nights said:
Both parties have to have a lot of trust/faith in each other to do the mutually beneficial thing. The Cassel deal appeared smooth and easy only because they were all in bed together, and it was likely all worked out beforehand.
I think that could happen with Holmgren. He's obviously well-known in GB and still has some contacts in the organization. I think in this case Ted would probably give Flynn the opportunity to have a say in the outcome, since he's fulfilled his end of the contract admirably and without a single complaint. It's possible they just left Flynn walk, too, but that resume game really pumped his value. Another first-rounder would be pretty sweet.

Cimmerian Nights said:
No caption needed:
Heh.

Brother None said:
UniversalWolf said:
Another first-rounder would be pretty sweet.

That's not going to happen. You'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder in trade.
I wouldn't be so sure. Kolb garnered a 2nd and DRC, and I would argue that Flynn has a track record as good as Kolb or better, so I don't think a 1st is out of the question. I think multiple picks over multiple drafts is more likely though.

If they don't franchise Flynn, he and Peyton Manning are going to be the two top free agents. His value is very high.

Back