Quakecon 2015: Fallout 4 details

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
I have my own theory why Bethesda decided to add in Super Mutants and also Enclave and BoS to F3. Because otherweise you would have a very very hard time to actually reckognize Fallout 3 actually as a Fallout game and not Oblivion with gunz. The fear from Bethesda, someone could get the idea that it's not a true Sequel! - And they also never got tired of reminding people that this is what they wanted to do. But hey, don't worry it got Supermutants and Enclave and even BoS and a wasteland surounding it and a hell lot of violence! With nukes! Lots of nukes! So it's a Fallout game! That is exactly what those might think that never really played the previous games.

Theory time! or you could call it head cannon time, whichever is fine. In my desperate attempt to at least make some sense of F3 I theorize that the vault 87 experiment was to create a new race of people to survive the inhospitable wastes, but ultimately failed. Then some Mute ant from the Masters army found the vault and continued the masters plan. The End

I'm fairly sure that it is canon that it was a race of people to re-colonize the Wastes./

Yeah, because romance in Fallout 2 was so much deeper and more complex. I mean it blew my mind how complex and deep romance there was - not only did I have to click on Miria to open a conversation, but I had to actually say a few lines to her as well! Then we got married in a cutscene! WOAH!

Most people here don't give a shit about romance in RPGs. Not in a Fallout 2 did it best way but in a all RPG romances are silly and ultimately they are a waste of game and development time.

Yeah, because romance in Fallout 2 was so much deeper and more complex. I mean it blew my mind how complex and deep romance there was - not only did I have to click on Miria to open a conversation, but I had to actually say a few lines to her as well! Then we got married in a cutscene! WOAH!

In Fallout 2 you could seduce a character in Modoc over the course of a conversation. His/her father then busted you and forced you to get married in a shotgun wedding.

So, yes, that is a lot less stupid than in Skyrim. In Fallout 2 it wasn't even a significant feature of the game, either, it was more of a joke. In Skyrim, marriage was a game feature that was just implemented in a stupid way.

They aren't logically part of Fallout lore, they're there because Bethesda needed some more "awesome" things for us to shoot at.

Logically part of fallout lore... hmm

Usually they start by making interesting and distinctly different enemies, then they add lore rational. For example Ghouls are slow and frail humans, while Super mutants are aggressive hulk-ish human - how they were created (radiation/FEV) and all the details were fleshed out MUCH later, mostly in Q&A sessions after the game. Similarly you have ~slow/fast variants of animals and more interesting mutation/alien concepts.

In FO2 they added a little verity to super mutants and deathclaws, so they won't be just dumb beasts you shoot on sight, increasing your non-human companion verity, and overall adding some awesome. It's only after the fact they retconed deathclaws with in depth lore explanations.

I have my own theory why Bethesda decided to add in Super Mutants and also Enclave and BoS to F3. Because otherweise you would have a very very hard time to actually reckognize Fallout 3 actually as a Fallout game and not Oblivion with gunz.

Of course they have brought every iconic element of FO to establish their reboot on the east coast... Honestly, it would be stupid for them not to, or creating a new mangier of mutants. We might have gotten better lore rational, but I am betting NMA is close by to codex on their shit list. Also now that they have established the setting on the east coast, in FO4 we see them taking more liberty with it.

why would they transport this top secret substance through the whole length of the US just to study it in another location, a location that they don't even have ANY jurisdiction over? The Mariposa base was a heavily guarded secret facility with a whole detachment of soldiers to keep it safe.

With a nuclear war looming, wouldn't setting up a secondary research location, in a secure facility across country, makes perfect sense redundancy wise? Also security wise, isn't it possible that the vault security underestimated their facilities/team capability, much like it happened in Mariposa? Defending against super mutants test subjects breaking free on the inside is different from Chinese infiltrators raid for example.

Last edited:
With a nuclear war looming, wouldn't setting up a secondary research location, in a secure facility across country, makes perfect sense redundancy wise? Also security wise, is it possible that the vault security underestimated their facilities/team capability, much like in Mariposa ? defending against super mutants test monsters breaking free on the inside is different from Chinese infiltrators for example.
With a nuclear war looming, which would make any sort of such research completely redundant? The US gov knew that in case of a nuclear war there is no way they could keep the power, much less do so in any official capacity, that's why the Enclave was created. And I can't see how is transporting your research so far beneficial if your main base for after the war operation is off the coast of California. And lets remember that there seems to be no long range internet in the Fallout world, so how would those two facilities cooperate efficiently?

I have my own theory why Bethesda decided to add in Super Mutants and also Enclave and BoS to F3. Because otherweise you would have a very very hard time to actually reckognize Fallout 3 actually as a Fallout game and not Oblivion with gunz. The fear from Bethesda, someone could get the idea that it's not a true Sequel! - And they also never got tired of reminding people that this is what they wanted to do. But hey, don't worry it got Supermutants and Enclave and even BoS and a wasteland surounding it and a hell lot of violence! With nukes! Lots of nukes! So it's a Fallout game! That is exactly what those might think that never really played the previous games.

While true, the other reason is because Fallout 3 was chosen to be many people's starting point. Fallout 3 essentially retells the Vault Dweller and Chosen One's story in the Lone Wanderer -- on the East Coast. So, it introduces the series to a new audience. It gets the familiar with some aspects of the series.

They learn about the Vaults, creatures in the wasteland, some broad strokes of things. Sadly, they also learned about Bethesda's reimagining. So, Brotherhood of Steel gets chalked up to being White Knights in power armor. BOTH Enclave and BoS seem much stronger than they reasonably should be. They know nothing of the Master or Frank Horrigan. They don't know the Super Mutants origin and they probably believe that ALL Super Mutants are dumb, despite that really only being the second generation.

Some of these are actually handwaved, such as the Holy BoS, they do mention in the game that Lyon's BoS isn't the real one, but... Lyon's has such a huge presence, it goes over their heads.

In some ways, it's a soft reboot. Right down to the abridged retelling of the first two games. But only a soft one that CAN work with the original story, with some handwaving and rewrites. Fallout 3 didn't stop New Vegas.

Again, new audience.

While I dislike a lot of 3's lore smacking, I get it in the end. I understand what Bethesda did, and from their end, I can even say they did the smart thing. Obviously. They're laughing away to the bank. And I get it from a fan's perspective, it's an insult to something you once love.

Of course they have brought every iconic element of FO to establish their reboot on the east coast... Honestly, it would be stupid for them not to, or creating a new mangier of mutants. We might have gotten better lore rational, but I am betting NMA is close by to codex on their shit list. Also now that they have established the setting on the east coast, in FO4 we see them taking more liberty with it.

Why would it be stupid to make your own factions, with their own background story, watching their struggle in the wasteland? I am to lazy to look for the fallout developer comment about how it was more important for them to show this struggle rather than to give players a new plasma rifle.

Ironically this is what most of Beth games are about. Updates in visuals. More violance. More horse riding or what ever.

The Fallout world was already established. There is zero reason to have the BoS, the Enclave and Super Mutants in DC. Unless like I said, you want to make sure that EVERYONE(!) can see that this HAS to be a Fallout game. So that no one can have even the slightest doubts about it. I mean it has even a water quest. Imagine that.

But to be honest I could live with all of that. More BoS, more Enclave and more Super Mutants. I don't care. If the writting would have been at least good. But it doesnt offer you anything in that part either. So what you have is a Shooter with Super Mutants as Orcs and BoS as knights of the wasteland with the Enclave filling the role of the Demons/Dark Knights who love to kick the dog around. Yaaay!

Bethesda has established not much. They have been ridding on Fallout for the longest time. Now we have a chance to see if they can come up with something that is actually original.

People actually like level scaling.... Freedom with no cosnequences, the future of Gaming!
For some reason I'd call it the downfall of humanity. :P
What do you mean? We had level scaling at my school and it was awesome! Whenever we had to take tests, the teachers would ask how hard you had studied for it, and if you replied "not at all, I was busy playing with my navel lint", they'd go "OK, that's fine" and give you the easy test (the one where you had to draw color pictures and guess if owls or sturgeons go ho-ho in the night). I did really well in school, by the way. So well I actually became the Archprincipal of it, in fact.

I graduated turd in my entire class.

*Pun*

*Edit* Someone put that in the new Torment somehow please.

I think certain Bethesda fans aren't aware that most NMA fans would have been content with better writing and more C&C. Those two things would have done a world of good. Fallout 3 is torn apart because there are simply so many faults to point out. Fallout 4 will be the same way.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions again, since I don't have a final product. However, it seems that way. I am still hopeful in the future however because Bethesda pissed off this MrMatt guy, and alienated some of their own fanbase by trying something different to make a better product.

I think certain Bethesda fans aren't aware that most NMA fans would have been content with better writing and more C&C. Those two things would have done a world of good. Fallout 3 is torn apart because there are simply so many faults to point out. Fallout 4 will be the same way.

Yeah, my wholly reasonable wishlist for Fallout 4 is:
1) A well-written story that makes sense.
2) Some thought put into the environment and communities for why everything is the way it is, and show your work here.
3) Characters who are memorable and interesting.
4) Multiple solutions to all but the most rote quests and have the game respect and reflect what I have decided.
5) Roleplaying opportunities in conversations that actually matter.
6) Respect the lore. Don't do stuff just because it's cool and expect "it's cool" to be enough, again show your work.

Most of them are under the impression that NMA despises Bethesda because they changed it from isometric. They're fairly certain NMA despises New Vegas since it's not isometric.

Yeah, I am glad Bethesda decided that some areas need stronger enemies that don't scale to your level. One less mod to save my blood pressure on the inevitable masochistic playthrough.

Back