[Serious] Fallout 4 DLC Ideas

The first option for a dwarf male sounded right as it kinda sounded like Wren in The Descent, very noble and warriorlike.

Females? Not so much. I liked the British voice for Dwarf and Qunari females. But not the American voice.

Male Qunaris could use the first voice if they want to sound kinda noble but it doesn't work for Qunari Rogues or Mages.

So it isn't amazing but it does the job right without doing anything extra on the side. Either way DAI does do pretty well with voiced protags compared to Fallout 4 where you can ask many questions and even get different rewards from talking in a certain way to people. In Fallout 4 all you have to do is put your Charisma to 10 at the start of the game and you win the game if you want to be a money whore.
You can't use a DLC from the game that ruined the choice in character design as proof that a voice fits. If we go back to DA 2 and DAO Dwarves and Qunari had distinctive voices, and they weren't generic American or generic British. The addition of the voice and just the sheer shallowness of DAI is why I went through it once and have never played it again. I actually found DAI worse than FO4 on multiple levels, it is by far the worst entry into the series and I'm including DA2.

My opinion? For Fallout to have a voiced protagonist, it needs to make the dialogue a lot clearer than "SARCASTIC, YES, NO, INFO." Maybe "Yes, I'm very interested in getting chewed apart by deathclaws." "I'll do it." "Nah, not interested." "What can you tell me about what I'm supposed to do?" instead.

Again, I think we should have multiple voices for each gender. The male can have Troy Baker, the guy who voiced Caesar, Erik Todd Dellums and Ross Scott (not a VA, but he'd be great at it) and the female can have Felicia Day, Amanda Tapping, the one we've got right now, and maybe someone a little older sounding.

I kinda want Obsidian to do a zany, weird DLC for F4. The reward for completing it would be a chance to sign up for the beta of New Vegas 2 and some Courier's Stash-style exclusive DLC for it.

But reading is boring. :V

Ironically, I end up reading subtitles instead of listening in voiced RPGs anyway, because exposition dumps in fictional accents are hard to comprehend for long periods of times.

What is the point of putting in a voiced protagonist in a game whose success was based largely on the text-base dialogue choices? Has it EVER improved a game that was heralded as a great RPG? No. It completely changed Dragon Age for the worse, and it did the same to Fallout.

You do realise that a vast majority of gamers hates being told to use their own imagination when it comes to video games? Not only for voices, but also for animations and particle effects. There might be less room for creativity, but then, there are large groups of people who never wanted that room in the first place.

There is a reason the original Fallout had talking heads in the first place rather than just a lone figure standing there with a dialogue box underneath them. Strikes me as odd that you wouldn't consider the majority. I know all of NMA hates "the masses" but you do have to remember that they exist.

Not even Obsidian is going to ignore the majority, they are what brings in the money, and money is always necessary. Every developer is going to have to broaden their appeal to an extent. It's not something that has to be liked, it's just something that has to be accepted - money is a big priority.

Yes, this might ruin some of the RPG aspects, but that means the profit gained in exchange can be used in further developing the parts that weren't dumbed down. Losing some of the good features to gain more fans for more money to bolster the good features that are left, that's beneficial if not overdone.

Yeah, when there's text and I can read it I'd rather just read it myself as I get through it quicker than the fucking voiced dialogue. What I hate is when there's text and audio and you can't skip to the next dialogue sequence and so even though you've finished reading the dialogue you still gotta wait for the voice to complete it before you can move on.

You do realise that a vast majority of gamers hates being told to use their own imagination when it comes to video games?
And those gamers should stay far away from Role Playing Games. There's plenty of other games to satisfy such people. If you don't like to be immersed in a world, to read about the world, to listen to the world, and to role-play in the fictional world - then you shouldn't be playing an RPG to begin with. That is a bit like saying I want to drive a car but I don't want to put any fuel in it. Accomodating such people is part of the reason the word "RPG" now means "lame FPS with boring upgrade system, loot, and XP hoarding."
Not even Obsidian is going to ignore the majority, they are what brings in the money, and money is always necessary.
Pillars of Eternity was certainly not a game made for the same "masses." Neither are their current projects. Every game I've played by them has been evidence that they exist to make games that are art. KOTOR II is one of the best Star Wars stories and games ever made, and they were forced to cut enormous amounts of content from the game due to publishers who wanted to capitalize on these "masses" by selling the game sooner.

InXile certainly doesn't care about mass market. They're making Bard's Tale and Torment. Those aren't exactly mass marketable titles. And they certainly didn't make Wasteland 2 a heartless first-person Borderlands clone with Red Boots DLC.
Yes, this might ruin some of the RPG aspects, but that means the profit gained in exchange can be used in further developing the parts that weren't dumbed down. Losing some of the good features to gain more fans for more money to bolster the good features that are left, that's beneficial if not overdone.
1) There are no good Role-Playing features left in Fallout. Everything has been dumbed down. Even holstering your weapon makes it disappear from third-person view, which is dumbed down from Fallout 3 where it was nice and holstered.

2) If you think Bethesda is going to take its Fallout 4 profits to suddenly make an amazing role-playing game with incredible depth, I have a bridge to sell you.

Last edited:

Okay, okay, I never said Bethesda or BioWare were good examples of what to do when it comes to sacrificing RPG depth for money. Softworks and EA clearly aren't trying to push the money towards better storytelling, that's for sure.

It's just - not every developer can or should do what Obsidian and inXile are doing right now. Making what you want for a select group of people is a valued art and I like it, but it's not a business structure that can last a company for a long time. I'll admit I was wrong the day I'm proven wrong, but I've never seen how the ideal game developer can last long. It's either down the drain with bankruptcy or selling out to the suits, in the end, and to me that's not harsh truth, just the norm.

Was there ever a time when creativity ruled the market rather than mass appeal? Was I born after this period or something? People talk like they're days long gone but I've never actually experienced this time, so...

Since Fallout 4 is set in Massachusetts, I'd love to see a Cape Cod DLC. I'd love to see Cape Cod thriving as a community instead of separate factions. Not sure what the main quest would be.

Isn't Cape Cod practically defined by their beaches and coastlines? Are you sure you want to spend 90% of the walking time fighting off mirelurks? Yes, it's Bethesda, of course they'll load every coast with mirelurks.

Am I the only one who really hates fighting mirelurks? They're annoying to go into combat with when you're trying to explore, because trying to fight them means a lot of backtracking while you try to hit parts of them that isn't their shell, and you're bound to go off course.

There was a period when the wants of the corporate suits and the 'hardcore' gamer aligned, it was back when games were just a little niche that was filled entirely with nerds. Back then almost all games were aimed at satisfying the needs and wants of people who wanted deep stories, challenging gameplay and, unique game mechanics; now games are part of mass culture and us losers have to look to indie devs for games that appeal to us because indie devs don't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Am I the only one who really hates fighting mirelurks?
Yea they're awful.

I'd rather see them getting away from Boston and doing a DLC that is somewhere else - like the Pitt was to Fallout 3. I'd like to see what they do with a different setting in a DLC other than Boston. Bethesda makes great game worlds but I think they went a bit overboard with the Boston cliches and I think it would be interesting to see them do something really gritty like the Pitt again. Who knows? Maybe they make a serious Fallout DLC with that gritty feel that is missing from Fallout 4. I think that would be good.

There was a period when the wants of the corporate suits and the 'hardcore' gamer aligned, it was back when games were just a little niche that was filled entirely with nerds. Back then almost all games were aimed at satisfying the needs and wants of people who wanted deep stories, challenging gameplay and, unique game mechanics; now games are part of mass culture and us losers have to look to indie devs for games that appeal to us because indie devs don't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Right, I was definitely born after that period, is there exact years you can name just so I can research this fabled time for myself?

Right, I was definitely born after that period, is there exact years you can name just so I can research this fabled time for myself?
It was during the late 90's to early 2000's, limited mostly to the PC market but there were quite a lot of good console games as well; there were still a lot of shit games but they were mostly shovelware made purely to fuck you out of your money. Of course it's not like that periods end gave rise to pure shit, we still get a solid amount of good AAA games, it's just that they now share shelves with every single COD game.

My DLC idea is just that they head back to DC, by the way. It might seem like a strange idea, but I want to see if Bethesda can show sensible progress over the years in the Capital Wasteland. Of course, they'll have to figure out how to make it possible to show the place without locking out quest outcomes (Megaton or Tenpenny Tower, for example) that people may have made.

It's Fallout 3 that reminds me that while Fallout 3's choices had morals as ham-fisted as morals could be (nuke a town, kill a baby, poison everyone, sell kids to salvers), Fallout 3 at least had choices. Meaningful ones, I mean. I think it would be a nice perspective if Bethesda goes back to the Capital and the DLC has much less choice and consequence - it would give people an idea how much Fallout has changed, even just between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

It was during the late 90's to early 2000's, limited mostly to the PC market but there were quite a lot of good console games as well; there were still a lot of shit games but they were mostly shovelware made purely to fuck you out of your money. Of course it's not like that periods end gave rise to pure shit, we still get a solid amount of good AAA games, it's just that they now share shelves with every single COD game.

So... not born after that period. Started gaming after that period is more like it. New question, what's the reason behind believing nothing will ever change for the better? Seems like the gloomy "realistic" predictions everyone has for gaming's future seems a little bit over-the-top, and I would like to know more about what's behind all the cynicism.

Well I'm not the source of the cynicism, I'm relatively optimistic about gamings future because the majority of my beloved franchises haven't been fucked yet, but it's perfectly understandable that NMA users are pissed about the current state of the gaming industry, they've been fucked by it.
The best comparison in my opinion would be todays movie industry, sure they still make great art-house films and there's a host of directors that consistently make good high-budget movies but those films are showed at the same theatres as Adam Sandler movies and GhostBuster remakes. Soon enough all gaming enthusiasts will be swept up in cynicism, the same way there isn't a single credible movie critic who isn't also a cynical bastard.

I think they are better off using the moon's 50 or however many states for a post apocalyptic game. Just have it like a post apocalyptic moon game where the alien commies nukes the alien Americans. Leave the poor Earth alone, they butchered it and all of the lore enough.

I heard the other day, someone mention an enclave faction. That might be neat but my favorite fallout dlc was always point lookout

I heard the other day, someone mention an enclave faction. That might be neat but my favorite fallout dlc was always point lookout

image.jpeg

Back