The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Can anyone reccomend a good documentary on the subject of any of the ancient civilizations?

Most documentaries I find on documentary sites are just History/Discovery/NatGeo sensationalist bullshit.

A single narrator who just throws information at you while all the footage shown is related to the subject of the film is a big plus over having various speakers talk about it.

Apocalypse: World War 2, so great I bought the bluray, sent it back, and ordered a new copy from Britain just to get that sultry british voice over.

There's also Apocalypse: World War 1 and Apocalypse: The Rise of Hitler, both great. It's also all one narrator, with great research and painstakingly procured and restored archival material.

Last edited:
I generally avoid World War 1 and 2 documentaries. Watched a shitload of them, and I'm sure a shitload more of them got made in the meantime. Not counting just the ones about the war itself but also stuff like Nazi megasuperbuildings or Nazi megasuperweapons... It's as if the producers forgot that there are people who enjoy documentaries who aren't closeted Nazis.

Last edited:
Many of the WW2 documentaries are ... questionable anyway. Like the one about jet engines and the development of those in both Germany and Britain. To make it short, they got the technology behind those completely wrong.

I mean not all of them are bad. But generaly those about tanks or battles can be forgotten. They are very often either plain wrong or inacurate. A good way to tell if a tank documentary - I have to yet find a good one - is bad, is if they start with "The Sherman and the Tiger bla bla bla", because they are just repeating nonsense at that point to appeal to Tiger-fetishists who get a hard on from the tank and not with the intention to actually tell you something about the war and facts.

Last edited:
I got the itch to watch Batman: Under the Red Hood again. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've viewed a couple of my favorite scenes and a review about the film over again. Love that movie, easily the best animated Batman movie. When I heard about Assault on Arkham (which is, as the name implies, tied to the Arkhamverse continuity) I immediate watched it... and came away with a decent impression of the film. But it's no Red Hood. The plot was overall kinda flimsy, and having to EVER hear that cringe-inducing Nolan North Penguin voice one more time was a serious displeasure, even if the scene only lasted a few minutes, and the film suffered from being a prequel because you knew who wasn't gonna die and that left it pretty obvious who would die in the movie. But it was an enjoyable ride, at least, if a mediocre one. Shame that the last time I paid one friend in particular a visit I only made him watch Assault on Arkham instead of Under the Red Hood. The latter's definitely the superior film.

If you've never watched it, GO WATCH IT!

Eh. I think all of DC's animated films aren't worth it, except for maybe Justice League Doom and Crisis on Two Earths.

It's got enough style that you can enjoy it when you turn your brain down. It's got good action and it's funny, and I like the performance of the brothers. Also green goblin guy does a great job.

THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!

The director seems to be aping tarantino a bit, the movie has little substance yes, but it's enjoyable, in my opinion. A good movie to watch with mates.

Eh. I think all of DC's animated films aren't worth it, except for maybe Justice League Doom and Crisis on Two Earths.
..............................Nnnnnnnnnnnnnno. They got nothing on Under the Red Hood. You sound like you haven't watched it. Seriously, GO WATCH IT.

I'm not saying it's going to be life changing. I'm just saying that among a subgenre that produces mostly mediocre works with a few enjoyable and few exceptional works, this one stands head and shoulders WELL above all the rest, and it's not even glorifying it. It's a pretty obscure title among all the DC animated films. It's a separate continuity, so it's not linked to this work or that work, or the animated series, or the Arkhamverse, or the Nolan films, or whatever. It's superbly written by one of the guys who originally AUTHORED the stories the film was based on (which he also used as an opportunity to correct a past mistake), and it USES the PG-13 rating, rather than just tacking it on so it can say a few cusses now and then, because it has to tell a mature story without hiding behind bullshit censors. It has excellent character arcs and archetypical representations of the big philosophical themes of the series (the ones that are worth touching on and exploring).

Last but certainly not least, the BEST non-Hamil Joker voice over since Hamil quit being the Joker. I sincerely had my doubts about liking John DiMaggio as the Joker, but he did a FANTASTIC job. In fact, the whole cast (all originals, none from the animates series) was really great. Would I have preferred Kevin Conroy? Oh sure. But the point is that the cast did a great job, and if you've going to have a film with the Joker in it, even if he's not the main antagonist (but the Joker ALWAYS makes himself a focal point of any story he's involved in, so...) you gotta do him right. And Under the Red Hood did the Joker GREAT. And Batman. And Red Hood / Red Robin. And Nightwing. And Black Mask.

Great film. You don't have to like other DC animated features to see this film. You don't need to come into seeing it expecting it to redeem all the others. Only come into it, watching it for its own sake. Cause it's a fucking fantastic movie.

All-Star Superman is incredible. It's not a flawless adaptation - couldn't be, considering the comic is pretty much the perfect Superman story - but it's executed so well and the plot tackles so many different aspects of Superman and Lex Luthor like no other.

I haven't watched Under the Red Hood, but imo the best DC animated movie is Batman and Son, mostly because it's the first time Damian Wayne has appeared on anything other than comics, also they didn't have that horrible Raver design for Nightwing.

The worst ones has to are imo:Justice League Doom, it felt like a Batman fan masturbation session. Flashpoint is also pretty weak as it just goes by way too fast (Like the Flash, HAH!) and is mostly focused on Blood and Gore. Assault on Arkham was just an excercise in juvenile Edginess.

Assault on Arkham was... okay. It just wasn't good at all. That didn't make it bad in any way. But after hearing about it with much applause and celebration, I only came away from it delighted, but not really impressed. It had the appeal of Kevin Conroy as Batman, but that was measured out (and arguably exceeded) by the irritation of Troy Baker as the Joker. It kept itself consistent with the Arkhamverse, for better or for worse, so can't even praise OR fault it for that. It had a couple nifty easter eggs, mostly Joker's Bozo mask from The Dark Knight. The movie could've been VASTLY improved by the main anti-hero/protagonist being someone OTHER than a character already featured in the Arkham games, so it could actually offer a compelling story that would keep you guessing. But having Deadshot act as the main lead, you knew already what was going to happen when he came into conflict with certain OTHER leading characters. That's the benefit of a movie like Under the Red Hood working in its own continuity, because then you don't have to follow any set-in-stone series of events. But because it was set in the Arkhamverse, you knew certain characters had to be alive at this point or dead at this point, and it made the story predictable. That also made the act of killing off members of the cast much less impactful. All in all, it wasn't really "bleh" as a movie, just "eh" in the end.

It was ridiculous. It had all the oldschool voice actors from the 90s cartoons, so that was a plus. But that was IT. The art style was painfully childish to look at. The story was... meh. There really was no resolution of any kind. It tried to copy TDKR by having Batman die only not really at the end. It kept throwing more and more superheroes and villains just for the sake of them being in the story (Kill off Metallo just like THAT? Really?) while not adding anything to it. The ENTIRE premise was absolutely pointless, and none of the characters would have let the situation go that far into absurdity without seriously questioning "But what if it's true?" without being clinically retarded. And then you have your cliche boss fight at the end to round it all out, at which point everybody goes right back around to accepting supes and bats as the heroes, flipping on a dime, because a single line of dialog was spoken. Terrible writing, terrible art, great voice acting. Overall, not a good film.

I don't know the name of it, but I also saw another one (back to back with Public Enemies following it up) that largely centered around Super Girl becoming Power Girl at the end. The arc of her character was decently established, the art was absolutely great, and it's always nice to see Darkseid hand Superman his ass to him before totally arbitrarily getting defeated. It was a real shock to my system to see a better film followed up by a pretty bad one, and the former ending on a shot of the newly-minted Power Girl, while the second one practically BEGINS with a worse-looking view of the same character... If I'd seen them in the reverse, that would've been much better. Kinda like if I'd seen UTRH after AOA...

In that movie Superman somehow dresses up as Captain Marvel, which means he stripped an underage boy while he was unconcious.

The art style also made everyone look like an action figure, so not a fan.

Action figures at least look vaguely humanoid. THOSE characters looked like they were drawn in the style of the house from Up!

Back