The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Ya know I hate to say it, but I really liked his dog in the second film. I would like to see that dog again. Other than that I don't want anybody associated with him, no kids, no girl, not even a partner, but the attack dog was cool.

Yep I had a quick look, and it seems MM4 is a bloody fantasy movie wrapped up in black metal. The cars are over the top nonsense, well I'll always have the Interceptor to dribble over. :(

file.php

DammitBoy said:
I'm referring to how the industry refers to what is a big budget film. Not what the movie-going public perceives. That number is $150 million plus. $100 million is considered a standard budget. Less than $100 million is considered low budget. Less than $50 million is considered sub-standard budget.

It's how they determine contracts with the union and what rates are payed to employees and what benefits they can expect to receive.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

You have a source for that info? You may be right because I don't have any knowledge of these things; I'm just going by comparison here. I've been under the impression that movies like Prometheus and Rise of the PTA were big budget titles and they were roughly $100.

I kind of see what you're saying, in that it's not John Carter big or any of the other huge projects, and it's certainly not in the top twenty or fifty movies of all times but it's still a price tag of a modern sci fi blockbuster that movie studios wouldn't wan't to get careless with, which was kinda the point.

maximaz said:
DammitBoy said:
I'm referring to how the industry refers to what is a big budget film. Not what the movie-going public perceives. That number is $150 million plus. $100 million is considered a standard budget. Less than $100 million is considered low budget. Less than $50 million is considered sub-standard budget.

It's how they determine contracts with the union and what rates are payed to employees and what benefits they can expect to receive.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

You have a source for that info? You may be right because I don't have any knowledge of these.

I'm the source for that info and I'm always right. I work in the movie business and my pay is determined by that rating system. I just finished a movie with a budget of $50 million, because it is rated by the industry as sub-standard, my pay was about $1k a week after taxes. When I worked on 'Battleship' my take home was right at $2,500 a week.

The first thing you ask when looking for a gig to work is, "what's the budget rating?"

Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night.

It was the one with the more "Comic book" feel to it.... but it had to fight with the style of the previous movies still present in this one. I have never beena fan of Nolan's Swatman. I think he got Batman mixed with Nightcrawler and Professor X, he teleports around the city and always on the place where something just happened that needs him...
Spoilers

[spoiler:b1e1794b02]The romance between Swats and Catwoman was pretty lame, one moment she leaves him to die, the next he is saying how he knows she is a good persona (the woman that let you to die for a program that erases her criminal antecedents = Good Person) Bane was such a superfluous character, just because a Character gives speeches doesnt mean he is well writtten. And in the end he gets despatched in such a dumb way....

Thew movie has a huge problem with stablishing the chronology, the way it's shot it seems like Swatman got from India to Gotham (with no money) in 30 seconds. A little box with "India X day of X Month X year" would have solved it if they really meant for Swatman's escape from the Pit to have taken place much earlier than what was happenning on Gotham on-screen.

"Robin" also felt very badly included, he just knows that Wayne is Swatman (because "He saw it in his eyes"). And the reveal that his name si literally ROBIN, I facepalmed so hard.
[/spoiler:b1e1794b02]
An Okay movie. Nothing more than that

DammitBoy said:
I'm the source for that info and I'm always right. I work in the movie business and my pay is determined by that rating system. I just finished a movie with a budget of $50 million, because it is rated by the industry as sub-standard, my pay was about $1k a week after taxes. When I worked on 'Battleship' my take home was right at $2,500 a week.

The first thing you ask when looking for a gig to work is, "what's the budget rating?"

Well, in that case you certainly know better what is internally considered big these days. Though I still stand by my original statement that a 100 million movie is probably a big enough deal for a studio to want to play things safe and to try to make it a blockbuster. 100 is still in a modern blockbuster range and it's a lot of money generally so it only makes sense.

DammitBoy said:

Whats your job description?

alec said:
Whatever they give you, you're being overpaid.

Isn't it awesome?!

My job description is propmaker, which I define as: carpenter, who gets paid way too much money to have this much fun.

I'm about to start on Hunger Games 2/3 in Atlanta, Ga. in a week or two. For about a years work, they will pay me $28 per hour, for approx. 70+ hours a week. I'll get $400 per week for food, $1600 a month for housing, I get paid 4 hours idle time for every Saturday and Sunday I don't work, and they will pay for a weeks vacation during that timeframe.

I'll get time and a half every day for any hours over eight hours. I get time and a half for all day Saturday, double time if I work a Sunday, and double time and a half if I work a holiday. If I decide to drive home on a weekend, they pay me travel time and expenses - both ways.

So I have to agree Alec, I'll be getting overpaid. lol

There are about 150 propmakers on this flick, probably 2 dozen welders, a dozen painters, a dozen sculptors, a dozen laborers, two dozen special effects guys, a dozen teamsters (drivers), a dozen set dressers, and about 3 dozen riggers (electrical, lighting, rigging) and everybody makes about the same pay. (in case you ever wondered why movies cost so much)

alec said:
.Pixote. said:
Can you be my sugar daddy. :mrgreen:

You do understand this involves DB caressing you with his backwards arms while you blow his whistle, yes?

:roll:

Isn't it a horrible world where I make over a 100k a year while you have to rob your neighbors in order to eat? :mrgreen:

---

Back on topic:

Finally saw Captain America on netflix - real glad I didn't pay to see that one. Woof.

Did go to the theatre to see 'Bourne Legacy'. It was actually pretty damn good as far as action flicks go. In fact, that whole series has never disappointed.

I give it 3.9 out of five asshelmets

I just re-watched Batman Returns after seeing Dark Knight Rises last weekend. God, it's embarrassing how much better Tim Burton's movie is in comparison. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up with the originals and was lucky enough to have seen them in theaters. I dunno what happened with Rises. It lacks any of the subtlety and is full of the same old superhero cliches. I'll probably never watch it again because everything from the story to the characters to the setting is paper thin. The stuff about Bruce Wayne's corporation was tacked on to add the plot twist about Miranda Tate/Talia al Ghul. It feels like they are rushing things along for stupid impatient movie-goers.

Returns feels right. It's a bit cartoonish, but so is the premise of a guy jumping around in a black rubber suit and a cape. What stands out the most for me is how much better Michelle Pfeiffer is at playing Catwoman. Anne Hathaway isn't bad, but doesn't hold a candle to her. And nobody comes close to Christopher Walken.

Mad Max RW said:
Returns feels right. It's a bit cartoonish, but so is the premise of a guy jumping around in a black rubber suit and a cape. What stands out the most for me is how much better Michelle Pfeiffer is at playing Catwoman. Anne Hathaway isn't bad, but doesn't hold a candle to her. And nobody comes close to Christopher Walken.

That was one of my major gripes with it. I expected Nolan to put a cool spin on the character but he didn't at all. Anne Hathaway wasn't even Catwoman. She was just a skilled thief who was also exceptionally good at karate and riding motorcycles for reasons unexplained. Her character could have been anyone and nobody would have noticed. Also, her sarcasm and bitchiness weren't that interesting because what female character doesn't do that nowadays?

Pfeiffer's Catwoman was absolutely perfect. She was possibly the only female movie character that I actually found intimidating and genuinely dangerous because of how crazy she looked and acted.

hey DB, since you are one of those people here working with movies do you know anything about the use of concept artists with movies? It's one of those fields I want to study/learn after I finished my job training as graphic designer, that or I will go for illustrations which is another choice.

I have not made a final choice yet to say this (my wallet and the school/colleague where I can apply will probably decide it ... )

Crni Vuk said:
hey DB, since you are one of those people here working with movies do you know anything about the use of concept artists with movies?

My older brother is an art director/set designer and has been for over thirty years. He started in tv, working on Dallas and McGyver - his first movie was 'Back to the Future'. He has worked on and helped create some incredible movies. Starship Troopers, Memoirs of a Geisha, Tears of the Sun, Hoffa, Bugsy, Hunger Games, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zohan, Big Fish, Inception, Heat, Pirates of the Caribbean, Last Airbender - the frikken list is endless.

He got his degrees in Art and then Architecture and he was a practicing architect for several years after college until he broke into the entertainment field.

It's a tough business to get into without connections. The Unions make it incredibly difficult to get in. You have to have worked on a movie for 90 days before you can join any of the unions, but you can't work on a movie unless you are in the union. Neat, huh?

Most folks get in by working as P.A.'s (personal assistant) which is code for slave who does all the crap work for some jerk that enjoys watching you squirm. That's if they don't boot you right before you get your time in - just for fun.

So, knowing somebody with connections is the main way folks get in. Or starting on low budget, under the radar of the union jobs like low grade crap tv shows or 'B' budget movies or indie projects.

Right now in Louisiana, there is so much work, the local union has cut the work requirement to 30 days and allowed 'permits' (folks not in the union) to work as long as they pay union dues and promise to join the union - as long as the movie company has made a good faith gesture of hiring any available union members in every category they are hiring for.

Concept artists work for the art department of the production company and are usually hired and finished long before construction hits the ground. Painters, plasterers, sculptors, set dressers, and mold makers are all artists who work for the Construction Coordinator.

Your best bet is to be hired as a P.A. for an art department and to suck ass really hard so that someone offers you a break and gives you an opportunity to work in your field. This is how P.A.'s are routinely abused with false hopes and promises to bleed them dry of all their hopes and dreams. Some folks do make it though, just to give the rest of those poor tards some false hope.

I made what you're making plus full bennies and annuity for the union when I was 20 building Commerce Banks. 7 10's, all the time and a half and double time. Partied too much and lost that one haha.

I had a close shave though. :(

Journeymen made 36 an hour.

Back on topic

---

So what is the best Tom Hardy movie, has anybody seen 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'?

The book was damn good, hopefully the movie held true to the novel.

Back