The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

I actually find it quite nice that Hollywood is making so many more remakes of old beloved movies. Because since we already have a far greater version, it won't matter if they fuck up. We can just ignore it and the original will be completely fine and still loved in years to come.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
This has fail written all over it.
Ha-ha! So true. You also forgot the biggest flaw...Philip K. Dick is dead. Granted, Ridley Scott and David Peoples made significant changes to PKD's story for Blade Runner, but it was still PKD's heart and genius at the core.

Akratus said:
I actually find it quite nice that Hollywood is making so many more remakes of old beloved movies. Because since we already have a far greater version, it won't matter if they fuck up. We can just ignore it and the original will be completely fine and still loved in years to come.

See, I've always thought it would make a lot more sense if remakes were saved for movies that were bad the first time, so they could correct the mistakes. So remake Showgirls, or maybe Krull.

Akratus said:

I don't quite understand this. Even if a horrible sequel like Blade Runner 2 came out, the original would also still be intact. Since all of this is fiction anyway, you could make the personal decision to decide that Blade Runner 2's story is just fan fiction and enjoy the original Blade Runner to the same extent. Again, this is all fiction anyway so there is nothing wrong with completely ignoring sequels that are crap.

For example, I love Terminator 1 and 2. I personally consider the story to have ended after the second one and I consider the rest to be just fan fiction crap. I ignore them completely. T2 was the end of that series and that's that.

There is only one Blade Runner and there will always be just one...

:)

Dissing Krull round 'ere is fightin' talk. Well the three people I know who have actually watched it think it's fightin' talk, though they have a crap taste in movies.
Doubt a remake of it would work anyway, you can't get enough early 80's nowadays.

Verd1234 said:
Akratus said:

I don't quite understand this. Even if a horrible sequel like Blade Runner 2 came out, the original would also still be intact. Since all of this is fiction anyway, you could make the personal decision to decide that Blade Runner 2's story is just fan fiction and enjoy the original Blade Runner to the same extent. Again, this is all fiction anyway so there is nothing wrong with completely ignoring sequels that are crap.

For example, I love Terminator 1 and 2. I personally consider the story to have ended after the second one and I consider the rest to be just fan fiction crap. I ignore them completely. T2 was the end of that series and that's that.

There is only one Blade Runner and there will always be just one...

:)

That's exactly what I'm saying. You do understand it dude. And Blade Runner. . . well. . if it were a woman I'd kiss it. On the mouth. With tongue.

Whatcha guys think of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in Cleopatra? Watched the latter half a while ago- brilliant, beautiful film. Drama at it's best. And it looks GOOD, dammit! The costumes are bright and vibrant and look INCREDIBLE in HD! Really impressed me, for a 50 year old film.

[spoiler:f3a426b7b1]And dare I say I see the inspiration for Caesar's Legion in the slew of Rome-themed films of the 60s?[/spoiler:f3a426b7b1]

I might give it a shot. I think it's on Netflix.

Oldest movie I think I've seen is Run Silent, Run Deep.

I have a huge boner for old American diesel subs.

Wumbology said:
Whatcha guys think of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in Cleopatra?...The costumes are bright and vibrant and look INCREDIBLE in HD! Really impressed me, for a 50 year old film.
That movie looks amazing, I agree. The Epic is a lost genre in Hollywood these days, even though many of those old Epics looks spectacular. They're from the days of real movie-making before everything was flushed through CGI. Watch a few of them and you'll see how much more vibrant the color palettes used to be.

You should check out Ben Hur, with Charleton Heston. The chariot race is one of the best action scenes ever made.

Also Lawrence of Arabia, an all-time classic for sure.

I saw a really bad Clint Eastwood movie: Trouble With The Curve. The direction and technical aspects are good, but the story is formulaic to the point of being cringeworthy. Also, Justin Timberlake is in it, and he can't act.

I am pretty sure I allready reported this in here, but I can't find it anywhere, so... I'll repost my report:

Dredd, I liked it. I am usually not one to be amused or impressed by any kind of comic book adaptation - doesn't matter if people promise it'll be cool, or people involved are cool, if the story is cool, or everyone is cool - don't ever make Akira, but
yeah
it was SO amazingly violent, but I liked that. Violence should be harrowing to watch!

Sex and the city (:D) forgive me, it was on tv, and I was high, but yeah - this movie concludes the series by basically summarizing "remember all that stuff we told you about independence, being your own woman, avoiding kids if you want to - all that stuff? yeah. we changed our minds. YOU'RE OLD! MY GOD YOU'RE OLD!!! GET A HUSBAND WOMAN WTF! The End"

Dredd, I liked it. I am usually not one to be amused or impressed by any kind of comic book adaptation - doesn't matter if people promise it'll be cool, or people involved are cool, if the story is cool, or everyone is cool - don't ever make Akira, but
yeah
it was SO amazingly violent, but I liked that. Violence should be harrowing to watch!

Yep, Dredd was pretty good. Straightforward story without pulling out any stupid twists, or diverging from its initial premise and trying to be more than what it sets out to be. Dystopian societies are a personal favorite setting of mine, and Dredd hits all the right notes on that front. I really hope we get a sequel eventually (since it seems to be in dead water from what I last heard) as I'd love to see a greater exploration of the universe without having to resort to the comic books. Although, I'll admit the movie did get me interested in checking out the comics.

Yep, Dredd was pretty good. Straightforward story without pulling out any stupid twists, or diverging from its initial premise and trying to be more than what it sets out to be. Dystopian societies are a personal favorite setting of mine, and Dredd hits all the right notes on that front. I really hope we get a sequel eventually (since it seems to be in dead water from what I last heard) as I'd love to see a greater exploration of the universe without having to resort to the comic books. Although, I'll admit the movie did get me interested in checking out the comics.

Yes yes, the dystopia was very satisfying. I even liked that they mentioned the world population being some hundred millions or so. The movie managed to give you quite a solid impression of society, without babbling too much about it. I also liked the "side story" of the chick recruit. It coulda gotten very corny, but managed to keep its integrity.

So, how is the Hobbit 2 movie? THe hobbit one was the only LOTR movie I liked.

It was good for me. I saw it in theaters yesterday. It was an improvement over the first in any case. I feel like one would like it if one doesn't expect the movies to reach the heights of the LotR trilogy again. Although it does do so in the Gollum scene in the first movie, and certainly in the excellent scenes where bilbo meets smaug. That's just my opinion. If you really dread plastic fakey-fake action and oversaturated aesthethics, as well as overstuffed storylines you may just come out and hate it alltogether.

I liked the Hobbit 2 too, too? Although the ending was a gigantic cocktease, and the theatre accentuated it by turning on the lights just at the right time.

I liked the first one more, tho. it took it's fairytale origins to the end with songs and everything.

And well I liked the aesthetic of this movie a lot, we even made fun of the oversaturated story with a friend by making "quest initiated" sounds and the like.

Edit, plus: For Cristmas I had a little reunion with a friend and we decided to watch Tropic Thunder because we were discussing wich Subway sandwich was the best and we ended up talkign about black face, and then about RDJ doing black face on Tropic Thunder.

It was pretty hilarious, about the only Ben Stiller movie I like, it helps that one of the Cohen brothers was on writtign duty too.

Last edited:
Back