The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Gravity (2013) - what's the consensus... I thought it was pretty good, but not great.

gravity-cuaron-reelgood.jpg

Gravity (2013) - what's the consensus... I thought it was pretty good, but not great.
I thought the good parts were very good and the bad parts rather bad -- but not bad enough to ruin the good parts.

It would be a better movie with fewer big name stars and less fake melodrama.

After watching Tarkovski's movies "Stalker" and "Mirror" it kind of opened my eyes to the expressive capabilities of a movie. Great cinematography alone can carry a movie much further than special effects. Never seen such long shots of one scene and the delicate use of sound is also superb, that makes the movie very flexible, as it doesn't have to forcibly adhere to a generic compositional structure. And of course the best of all is not having to hear the fucking epic (orchestral string, percussion section pounding a few chords), sad (piano arppegios in minor - probably worst of all) and romantic (your usual pop chord progressions) movie soundtracks... I hate them with passion, i really do. Although those movies do need a couple of rewatches, before one can really appreciate all the detail and get the gist of what is happening.

Yeah, I love how good cinematography can carry a film. But a REALLY good film can combine the appropriate soundtrack (or lack thereof!)

Has anyone here seen The Big Combo? That film is a miracle. I highly suggest it if you like noir; it's got some outstanding scenes.

Watched "The Departed" the other day. I was surprised how this one had slipped by me. An unlikely little cast ensemble also, and it made me very curious about the originals, which I have also not seen

Yup, nothing great. Hour and a half of breathtaking action, flat story. I think it's movie intended primary for that supercool(tm) 3D projection, which I don't care much about.

Running Scared on TV yesterday. Not too bad, I agree with some of the critics saying the movie is a bit cluttered, with a story that is a bit here-and-there sometimes, but it was enjoyable to watch none the less

I saw the remake of The Thing from a couple years ago. I really don't know what the point was, beyond making the main character a female who literally does everything while all the men (every other character in the movie) stand around doing nothing. It's not horrible, I guess, but it pales in comparison to the John Carpenter version. I even like The Thing from Another World better. That's the original 1950s movie that inspired Carpenter's version.

Watched The Wolf of Wallstreet (movies sometimes take a while to come to Colombia, some times they get released on the same day as in the US, is weird) And it was a prett yfucking good movie, and it was absically a high class version of a Stoner Flick, very quotable, well written and a laugh riot all the way through (except for those parts parts tha taren't... you know which ones) And it doesn't pull any punches with a hard R rating. Best 3 hours of my week, specially since I started working at an office.

I saw the remake of The Thing from a couple years ago. I really don't know what the point was, beyond making the main character a female who literally does everything while all the men (every other character in the movie) stand around doing nothing. It's not horrible, I guess, but it pales in comparison to the John Carpenter version. I even like The Thing from Another World better. That's the original 1950s movie that inspired Carpenter's version.

They actually remade that? I don't usually mind remakes/reboots of certain horror franchises, particularly from the slasher genre, but The Thing is another beast altogether that still holds up today. Not that certain movies like Friday the 13th, and Halloween don't hold up today (they do) but those are long-running franchises that could use a clean slate. But obviously with other remakes like Robocop, and Total Recall it's all about banking as much money as they can on the name alone. Dredd so far is the only one that actually ended up being better than the original movie; not that that was hard to do to being with.

Speaking of horror films, tho, saw Curse of Chucky. I'm kind of a horror movie junkie in general, and it was something of a solid flick. Has its fair share of inconsistencies with the previous films, but that's nothing new. Just had my fun with it, and appreciated the return to a lower budgeted horror film; which apparently was actually lower than the budget used for the first movie.

The Thing remake was so terrible I couldn't even finish watching it.
I finished watching it, but it was an emotionless experience. I kept asking, "Why does this movie exist?" I still don't have an answer.

The bigger fan you are of John Carpenter's The Thing, the more you'll dislike the remake, I'd say.

Wastewander said:
I'm kind of a horror movie junkie in general...
If you haven't seen the low-budget 80s flick I mentioned, Prince of Darkness, give it a try. It's one of my favorite cheap horror movies.

Watched "The Illusionist" by Sylvain Chomet - an unfilmed Tati script realized as an animation. Like a Tati film it's slow and basically a string of sight gags, but it stays with you. We saw "In a World..." just before and although that was more immediately entertaining, it's not really memorable in the same way.

I've watched many movies in the previous month(s), such as:
The Lone Ranger (partially, still have to finish), The Wolf of Wallstreet(4/5), Escape Plan(3/5), Conan the Barbarian(4/5), Elysium(2/5), I finished Napoleon Dynamite(3/5), The Great Gatsby(5/5) and I saw It's a wonderful life(5/5).

Edit: And I've finished watching the lone ranger. I don't get why it wasn't more well received. It was a very enjoyable movie for me. 4 out of 5.

Last edited:
Okay, I saw Monuments Men on Saturday.

Goddamn, best film I've seen in the last two years. Nearly cried like, three times.

Oh, and Bill Murray. He had like, ten lines and they were all GOLD

Last edited:
Werckmeister Harmonies

A very curious film, to say at least.
Not the easiest one to digest, I suppose, but there is a striking sense of profound meaning behind it. It is also highly open for interpretations, a trait I value most when it comes to films (and to me, the defining aspect of art).
Visually striking, with great music, I whole-heartedly recommend this film to everyone who's fed up with the shit Hollywood has been feeding the masses with.

Real work of art. Real film.

Now I need to check more works from Bela Tarr, but I guess Satantango will have to wait a bit.

Has anyone seen The Lego movie yet? I'm going to the movie theatre tomorrow, so if it's a bad movie you can let me know and I will see a different movie.

Back