What would you like to see in a true Fallout sequel?

Huh pls calm down :D

The base for organization can't be this thread. We need something bigger... like a forum. So is anyone able to pull a forum fast, otherwise I can do it, though it may last a week or two.

It's not a problem to find a suitable place to discuss.

I suggest we try out forum.snitz.com. I can find more.

Bunkermensch said:
This new attribute has great potential, especially in dialogs, storyline, visuals maybe. Think of one character who has low SANITY and really weird Dialog options, or he actually sees things that are not really there. It could have effect of how gory enemies get killed. It could hve effect on many skills too. Dunno, like it? =)

I'd liek that if applied in a way such as: (rough example) Minimum SAN of 5. This can be increased, as with other stats, but that's it's absolute starting minimum. Events during the game can reduce the sanity, as the player sees particularly horrendus sights, has traumatic experiences, etc. 5 and above, and you are normal. 3-4, you begin to be a bit twitchy, meaning that you can't perform lockpick, traps, doctor etc. Skills in the presene of anyonewho might be seen as "threatening"-exposed weapons, high amounts of strength, heavy armour, etc. Your character will also take his turn in combat to flee in some circumstances. At 2, your character will open fire on threats, if within range, will not sleep, as he is too afraid to be killed in his sleep-also adding tiredness as a factor that reduces your stats until sleep would be a good feature, and always has a gun in his active item slot. At SAN 1, you cannot hope to continue your quest. You have lost your mind, and all thoughts of goals.

Just an idea on implementation.

Bunkermensch said:
Huh pls calm down :D

The base for organization can't be this thread. We need something bigger... like a forum. So is anyone able to pull a forum fast, otherwise I can do it, though it may last a week or two.
If you want to set this up properly and have plenty ideas, we might be able to arrange a subforum for you guys.

Sander,

I think we all agree that this topic is far too large for this thread, so we need more space to accumulate the ideas and finally start working.

So, your help will be highly appreciated.

First of all. I think the game should be free of charge. We could try to get "sponsor/s". Maybe some company/s (game magazine,microsoft etc..) could help us.

Troikas engine would be the ultimate engine for this but i doubt they would give it away for free so using "free engine" is probably the best option.

My suggestion to game name is NMA coz everything started from here.

The story could start 100years after the nuclear war, when the mutants started to develop. Idea could be the start of BOS`s acts against mutants. The main character is supposed to fight agains mutants or something.

And finally YES! I think we need new discussion forum and we somebody should take a step and start to lead us (pick people to start develop story and game (hopefuly u can count me in :D))

ippeli said:
First of all. I think the game should be free of charge. We could try to get "sponsor/s". Maybe some company/s (game magazine,microsoft etc..) could help us.

Troikas engine would be the ultimate engine for this but i doubt they would give it away for free so using "free engine" is probably the best option.

My suggestion to game name is NMA coz everything started from here.

The story could start 100years after the nuclear war, when the mutants started to develop. Idea could be the start of BOS`s acts against mutants. The main character is supposed to fight agains mutants or something.
Urgh.
Why do people always come up with these kinds of storylines? 'You're like a BoS soldier and fight mutants! Yeah!'
Does it not seem obvious to, well, everyone involved that that in no way fits with Fallout, or that that is, in fact, FOPOS' storyline?

Egalor: I'll throw up the idea with the other admins, but you'll probably need to set this up a bit clearer and get a bit of a structure (eg. members, tasks, schedule, engine etc.) before you'll get a full forum.

ippeli

So noted. As soon as the subforum is created we will commence.

Alright folks, I'm starting to write the work plan and the task schedule. It'll be preliminary so don't blame too much. Of course, this is to be discussed by the people involved.

I cannot divulge any exact dates yet, since I have to discuss the plan with my offline friends. I doubt, however, that it will take TOO much time.

One more thing: those wishing to participate, please PM or email me your emails (or post them right here). Along with your emails, I'd appreciate if you:

could briefly describe your skills/talents/abilities/etc,

and your wishes regarding your role as the game developer.

Sander,

Noted. I'm currently working on it. Tasks and schedule are under way, as well as the member list.

ippeli said:

Sander said:
Urgh.
Why do people always come up with these kinds of storylines? 'You're like a BoS soldier and fight mutants! Yeah!'
Does it not seem obvious to, well, everyone involved that that in no way fits with Fallout, or that that is, in fact, FOPOS' storyline?

to be honest, I think that that kind of storyline sucks :D you are right.

The ideas about the game situated in Europe is great I think.

The project really needs a project manager and lots of people who are willing to sacrifice their spare time. Is there anybody who is ready to step up and take the leading role? I expect him/her to be capable of doing this kind of project...

RPGenius said:
Bunkermensch said:
This new attribute has great potential, especially in dialogs, storyline, visuals maybe. Think of one character who has low SANITY and really weird Dialog options, or he actually sees things that are not really there. It could have effect of how gory enemies get killed. It could hve effect on many skills too. Dunno, like it? =)

I'd liek that if applied in a way such as: (rough example) Minimum SAN of 5. This can be increased, as with other stats, but that's it's absolute starting minimum. Events during the game can reduce the sanity, as the player sees particularly horrendus sights, has traumatic experiences, etc. 5 and above, and you are normal. 3-4, you begin to be a bit twitchy, meaning that you can't perform lockpick, traps, doctor etc. Skills in the presene of anyonewho might be seen as "threatening"-exposed weapons, high amounts of strength, heavy armour, etc. Your character will also take his turn in combat to flee in some circumstances. At 2, your character will open fire on threats, if within range, will not sleep, as he is too afraid to be killed in his sleep-also adding tiredness as a factor that reduces your stats until sleep would be a good feature, and always has a gun in his active item slot. At SAN 1, you cannot hope to continue your quest. You have lost your mind, and all thoughts of goals.

Just an idea on implementation.

Yeap! Really nice ideas there. Sanity of 1 should be possible to play but the game would be freaking crazy really. As you are totally dumb and even not able to speak with charisma of 1, you should have sever problems with sanity of 1.
Really nice ideas so far! Just think of the dialog options with a san 1 char :D

With high sanity your character should have a high mental wall against all the terrible things he sees outside of his shelter. He should be able to sleep whenever he want, he is just a stable character in all situations, really nothing should go wrong then. ^^

That attribute seems to have alot of potential and I start to like it much more than luck.

Some subforum would be nice indeed. There we could open multiple threads ^^
Could be get editing rights for that subforum? So we can organize it by ourself.

@the guys with the freaky stories, just keep on posting them, it is good training you get comments on them and in the game there could be books with such crazy Sci Fi stuff ^^

btw: >1000 views within 40hours... I guess there is interest? =)

You're gonna need someone with huge passion for the concept, knows how to communicate, has good technical knowledge, strong leadership, knows the software development life cycle and many other things.

Lets put it this way, i do not envy the person who will be the coordinator of this.

egalor- seeing as you have taken the lead here i think you're really gonna have to make this concept fairly public if you are indeed gonna do this seriously. Finding talented programmers, designers and all the other jazz within this thread alone will be tough (no offence guys!)

I would subtely go to forums on other sites and quietly advertise the concept (without mentioning the name 'fallout 3') and then direct them to the forum that sander puts up.

I have worked in a software development infrastructure, been involved in application deployment, testing, 3rd line OS support and have used OO progamming.

I feel that i am fairly competant when it comes to design and management of projects and would like to help, but only as an advisor to certain areas (i don't have enough free time to do anymore). I don't know enough about fallout's ins and outs to offer actual game design advice or plots.

So if you're intested in my help then by all means let me know. PM sent.

I will gladly share my previous experiences in game making. Most is about how to fail, fast, but that is important knowledge too. Most of you might already know a lot about this but some tend to plunge themselves into the euphoria. Here's my bag of cents,

First; Write down a short description that defines the game you are making. A common goal that says 'this is what were doing' to look at in hard times. It should be just a few lines in length, but really fire you up when you read it. Why is this game fun/rewarding? What kind of control over the game does the player have? Stuff like that. This is important so that you all understand what it is you're about to do. Keep it short. A page is too much. People tend to spend a few weeks at projects like this before they transfer to more prioritized things. But if 100 people spent 4 weeks each this could get pretty far ;) Of course, the goal description is essential in this case.

Secondly; Keep it open source and very available so that anyone can pick up when you get tired or just simply can't continue. I suggest setting up a CVS before the actual coding begins. And keep your documentation freely available. Why keep something you share with a 10000+ community secret? This way people like Sander can go in and criticize on stuff you did wrong.

Plan ahead. Know what needs to be done. Scetch out how the engine should work/works on a piece of paper. Class diagrams, rule set, anything that's complicated, so that you know how it works before you realise you have to redo core elements of the engine, again. Example: If you choose Ogre 3D, start scetching out the story or gameplay first, instead of thinking about the engine restrictions. It is very flexible and has a huge, hard working community. When you know how the user interaction should be handled and what type of perspective you want etc. Write it down in your design document, and then find the right parts for your engine. (Ogre 3D is NOT a game engine. It is a rendering engine, but with a lot of extensions making it exceptionally fitting for game production. Thanks to a dedicated community)

When you have decided on what type of content you need in the game you can start working out the engine. Even if you don't really have any content yet, you can make room for it, using replaceables. As long as you don't "hard code" anything (which is bad anyway) and keep it flexible you should be fine. Put someone at coding at this point, because otherwise you will have to wait for that guy to catch up with you.

Small tasks! Divide the tasks into SMALL portions, and maybe announce a new thread for it in your forum, so that anyone with talent can grab it and complete it. And having a thread for it would let us all judge the results. A small task could be 'create that asset' or an open call for concept art for specific things, or several. The core team should announce tasks like these when they really need them to be done, or you'll get an overwhelming load of data to sort out = Extra workload.

Deadlines! And people who follows them. Set a date on anything that can have a date. (It is not the end of the world if you miss a deadline when there's no money involved, but if people starts bending the dates, others will loose interest.)

Team building! :roll: I know it might sound silly, but you must be able to reject a proposal, and know that the person doesn't take it personal. More honesty, or the game will fail. And, constructive criticism people!

Forget about making money. It will destroy you. People must be willing to do this for free, and for fun. Keep it simple. People may want to donate money, but give it a hard though before you let them. Who is going to manage those fundings? Can we trust him with that job? Can you trust yourself? Getting money to do something really becomes something of an obligation to finish it.

Also, I recommend reading up on game design. It is always good to know what you are up against. And make sure to read the Van Buren design documents. Awesome stuff.

Anyway, good luck!

What engine will be used ?
- F 1 & 2
- F Tactics

I prefer the Tactics engine, only i would lock up the "real time combat" for good...

Great, thanks for those. From reading those, there really is no point in pursuing this.

Cheers.

Brother None said:
Zlatorog said:
http://www.fanmadefallout.com/

I would advise any in this thread to support this project or the Van Buren Revival project. If you really want to do your own thing, sure, but there are plenty major projects that need support.

This thread leads into the wrong direction. Hmm the main problem with those projects maybe is that they seem to be not very attractive, at me at least.

This really was not intended as directly building a game or what, more thinking about a sequel and since there is really no fan project that does something like this, thinking about it would be interesting imo.

Talking about game engines which would not be used anyway is totally not the right thing here.

A pity that both projects aren't very vivid, as the van buren revival seems to be dead already and the fanmadefallout has not updated the page for years really except some news.
Mutants rising also is only some mod... :/
Im really looking forward to Afterfall, though it is more gorky17 style than Fallout imo.

Brother None said:
Zlatorog said:
http://www.fanmadefallout.com/

I would advise any in this thread to support this project or the Van Buren Revival project. If you really want to do your own thing, sure, but there are plenty major projects that need support.
I second that. These projects are already in progress and they offer Fallout sequel in real Fallout universe.

Back