who did you side with on your first playthrough

I sided with NCR simply becouse it has most quests and backstory in game; You can end almost every mayor quest rightfrom the start aiding their couse. Yes Man told you in his finale that he intend to be asertive in the future - going skynet and Mr House is like God Emperor from WH40K or Dune dicator who will rule for ages; Judging from Strip and Freeside I'm not impressed so No thanks. Ceasar lack quests (and charisma too :o ) and his line devolves into mindless sloughter very cartonish and chaotic stupid in style. Pitty since he had a good start in Nipton; acting as frumentari demoralising foes and gaining alies throu deceit more than sword woud be intresting. But someone had to replace Enclave as an absolute Hitler like evil. :roll:

So I backed the corupt and inaficiet political system for lack of better alternatives; I'll play second run after solid patches and Legion DLC.

DForge said:
NCR having massive problems with corruption (it's everywhere, agents can be bribed, officers sell drugs on the side or reporting to Ceasar instead of serving NCR) and is morally ambiguous to say the least - annexing everything they can, taxing people but not giving them enough protection, trigger-happy police (see Fallout 2) and soldiers...
Exactly. I can hardly believe all the folk that are saying that NCR are the freaken good guys! They over tax, they take what they want and they are willing to hurt anyone that gets in their way. They TOOK the damn because they wanted it.

I started out supporting NCR... but some of the things they asked me to do (House, The Brotherhood) just made me mad and I couldn't overlook their corruption any longer. I did both NCR and Wild Card quests to the end of the line and then went in with Yes Man.
I was kinda hoping for an ending where I had control (making sure that the Strip, the Boomers and other comunities would stay independnt), but NCR were welcome to control the unclaimed areas and trade. Saddly the end has them as 'all or nothing', so they had to go.

I started out supporting NCR... but some of the things they asked me to do (House, The Brotherhood) just made me mad and I couldn't overlook their corruption any longer.

For the BoS one, there is a diplomatic route.

Tel Prydain said:
I started out supporting NCR... but some of the things they asked me to do (House, The Brotherhood) just made me mad and I couldn't overlook their corruption any longer.

Yeah, it's amazing how a nation might want you to neutralize a rogue autocrat with his own army and an organization which costs them soldiers' lives at every turn.

And even then, you don't have to kill anybody to solve it.

I am so fascinated with his "Pax Romana" speech; explaining his ideology, his reasons for doing what he does, his intentions. And he is absolutely right about it all. I really think Caesar is the last, best hope for humanity.

The NCR, this corrupt obstacle, reflecting pre-Great War governments, and Mr. House, this depraved individual, are the real evil factions. Prostitution, gambling, gluttony, venality, greed, envy, all this evil upholded by them that lead to the Great War in the first place. If the NCR or Mr. House have their way, there will be another nuclear war in a few decades. They represent all that is wrong with humanity (and all that was wrong before the Great War).

Vulpes Inculta is correct about Nipton. The mayor sold his own people, the NCR, the Powder Gangers and his integrity for caps (GREED). Typical pre-Great War human behaviour that must be extirpated. Nipton mayor = NCR = Mr. House.

Of course, the treatment of women in Caesar's Legion is despicable. That can be changed, though. The innate decadence and depravery of the NCR, Mr. House and the likes cannot...

PS: It is no coincidence that Caesar was with the Follower's of the Apocalypse. He was a humanist from the beginning, and still is, more than ever now that he is Caesar.

NCR = Mr.House?

No way...

NCR is pre-war human community with the same attitude that caused the Great War in the first place, yes. But House? His goals are totally different.

DForge said:
I am so fascinated with his "Pax Romana" speech; explaining his ideology, his reasons for doing what he does, his intentions. And he is absolutely right about it all. I really think Caesar is the last, best hope for humanity.

The NCR, this corrupt obstacle, reflecting pre-Great War governments, and Mr. House, this depraved individual, are the real evil factions. Prostitution, gambling, gluttony, venality, greed, envy, all this evil upholded by them that lead to the Great War in the first place. If the NCR or Mr. House have their way, there will be another nuclear war in a few decades. They represent all that is wrong with humanity (and all that was wrong before the Great War).

Vulpes Inculta is correct about Nipton. The mayor sold his own people, the NCR, the Powder Gangers and his integrity for caps (GREED). Typical pre-Great War human behaviour that must be extirpated. Nipton mayor = NCR = Mr. House.

Of course, the treatment of women in Caesar's Legion is despicable. That can be changed, though. The innate decadence and depravery of the NCR, Mr. House and the likes cannot...

PS: It is no coincidence that Caesar was with the Follower's of the Apocalypse. He was a humanist from the beginning, and still is, more than ever now that he is Caesar.

NCR = Mr.House?

No way...

NCR is pre-war human community with the same attitude that caused the Great War in the first place, yes. But House? His goals are totally different.
What do you mean by "pre-war human community"? The NCR was founded after the war.

House has goals?

He pays a little bit of lip service to higher goals for humanity, but he never actually explains what those might be. For all I could tell, it's just keeping Vegas alive as a den of sin and iniquity (not that there's anything wrong with that, but "higher goal for humanity" it sure as hell ain't).

For some reason, I naturally fell into siding with Mr. House during my first playthrough. He never came across as evil in a sense that would make me feel uneasy for helping him, and he seemed honest in his goal to simply keep New Vegas independant from outside forces, and continue trying to restore it to its pre-war glory. Sure, it's a bit eccentric of him, but he won me over. Who knows, it might just have been the fact that he was voiced by Rene Auberjonois that did it, in the end (his voice smittens me everytime!). I did not regret it once the slide-show had finished rolling, either.

Taken as I was with the game, I obviously set out to discover other possible endings. What followed was a series of fairly focused playthroughs, investigating how it felt to aid other factions. First I want into the role of an NCR sympathizer, and aided their goals any way I could in related side-quests, but mostly focused on the main plot and getting through the game rather quickly. After that, Ceasar's Legion, which I first had suspected being too horrible to deal with, but in the end, even their goals seemed to make some sense. I dabbled a bit with various equations to achieve different endings after that, and during my latest playthrough, I finally went for the ending where I eliminate all the interested factions from the area, and take over New Vegas myself, being a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse. As close to a goodie-goodie ending I could get, I suppose, but it felt nice.

Well, i went also NCR. Altough i would also happily join the Followers of the Apocalypse since they were so selfless.
But i haven't finished yet. 40 hours and counting just walking through the desert.

yester64 said:
Well, i went also NCR. Altough i would also happily join the Followers of the Apocalypse since they were so selfless.
But i haven't finished yet. 40 hours and counting just walking through the desert.

Altruists are closeted selfish people.

I'm working with the NCR in my current play through. You really have to play the game several ways.

Obsidian nailed the re-playability factor, didn't they?

Brother None said:
Yes Man actually goes outside which makes no sense. What's to stop anyone from talking to him? Doesn't happen though. That plotthread is kind of odd, with Yes Man a narrative tool to allow you to go independent. I can see why some would consider it the best option available, House doesn't tell you much and his plans are kind dumb, Caesar is just evil and NCR...well they're ok, but a bit over-stretched.

The Yes Man path does come with kind of a twist/hinted-at-twist, but it's not much.

My first playthrough was independent too, but this doesn't happened with me, he waiting outside of the Tops.

[spoiler:8c21a3624e]I played as female and had the option to make sex with Benny and kill him in his sleep.
This option is awesome, I didn't expected that! LOL

But Yes-Man did't go outside, he remained in the Tops until I killed House, then he moved directly for the 38.

[ ]'s[/spoiler:8c21a3624e]

One of my favorite parts about his game is the fact that it sets up the players and the history, forces you to somehow choose allegiance to influence the outcome, and then gives you the option to say, "Fuck you I do what I want!"

I went independent my first time and I was pretty satisfied at the end. I hope the canon ending is either that or Mr. House, it would be more interesting in the long run I think.

Thomas de Aynesworth said:
yester64 said:

Altruists are closeted selfish people.

I'm working with the NCR in my current play through. You really have to play the game several ways.

Obsidian nailed the re-playability factor, didn't they?

All acts are selfish acts.

That said, some selfish acts help others, too.

FotA had that "fresh from college starry-eyed liberal activist" feel to them, with Dr. Thomas Hildern and Caesar being rather egregious examples of what happens when reality gets in the way of good social work, and as such I never really thought of them as a faction so much as they were clearly a group that would always be exploited for ulterior means.

For my first plat through I decided to be a trigger happy, scheming, opportunistic, business man gangster type. I caused a lot of chaos, and did some things I regret after my character grew. I helped the Powder Gangers take over Goodsprings- I didn't realise it was simply gonna be a massacre but still. I made the zombies crash for a sociopathic laugh. I allied with the Boomers and Remnants, I destroyed the Brotherhood and pillaged their base, I whacked Mr. House (this was an absolutely fantastic moment in the game, I actually felt a twinge of guilt at the shrivelled prune gasping in pain) still, its just business. I whacked Caesar and killed all at the fort and I helped the NCR up until near the end when I let Kimball be killed and started to work for myself and Yes Man.

So yeah, what I was basically hoping for was for me to end up at the top of Lucky 38, smoking a massive cigar and looking down on the strip as the new boss. What I got was equivalent to being dumped dismissively by a girlfriend who very suddenly loses all feeling for me.

"So uh..... see you around"

Yeah cheers writers of New Vegas, you KNEW what I wanted. You KNEW a lot of people as soon as New Vegas was announced thought of the opportunity to take over, but instead you SPIT IN MY EYE!!! Okay, the ending was fantastic, love the final mission, the battles, the ending video was brilliant, far closer to the involvement and thorough story development of Fallout 1 and 2. I really,really felt like i'd had an influence. Shame it wasn't a great one! Ha.

Before I did the final mission I erased some mistakes. I thought that since i'm taking over Vegas I better go back to Goodsprings and kill the powder gangers there. Though I never discovered Vault 19 so they caused problems for years. Goodsprings was a ghost town and no more than a tourist attraction, Novac- now this really I really regret- became a ghost town because of radation from the crashed ships. The NCR became a shadow of former itself for some time to come, The legion was destroyed and I am the figurehead of a new nation- very, very cool but still, Yes Man screws you over and I wanted to be the leader in name and title. Annoying.

Anyway, next for my definitive ending i'm going to fight across the Mojave Arnie style in the name of the Republic! Get Vegas into the tight grip of the bear claw!!

My first Playthrough I sided with Yes man but at the same Time I acted as double agent with the NCR, I got double experience, I focused my character on speech, science, unarmed and guns, so I got diplomatic solutions for almost all the main quests, except for Benny who I let scape in the Tops. But I started helping the NCR too early and got the Legion to vilify me before I went to activate the Securitron Army, I had to kill Caesar and his Praetorians, FUN! I had to combine using Faction clothes, copious amounts of C-4 and lure them out to be picked down by Boone, I died like mad just placing the explosives, even with stealth boys. After saving Kimball I saved to see both NCR and Yes Man endings.
I just finished my second Playthrough, House always wins, this time I didn't have speech to convince Legate to fight one on one (I could have convinced him in the first oen to leave peacefully but I wanted that rocking mask) So I had to get creative with the c-4, mines and Anti Materiel Rifle with sneak attacks. Then I just pumped my character full of psycho, slasher and turbo and reduced te Legate to chunky salsa with the Oh Baby.

I tried the evil path, but only with one rule: use the dialogue option to kill the "good guys".

I also want a decent game so I decide to stay away from ridiculous groups, such as

- "caesars legion" (what a bunch of morons, they seem to be like the human version of the "Orks/mutants" with no brains from FO3. The brainless "Bad guys"),

- "with glove society" (seriously, a society of sneaking kannibals?)

-"NCR" (basically the Military Police of this game. The brainless "good guys").

Why I choose to be evil?

Because being the good guy sucks, especially in Fallout 3 games: Fetch this, Fetch that.

You re basically being a loser saying everywhere he goes "hey man, can I help", " I really want to help, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase let me help!!!".

You could compare it with someone drowning in a pool and instead of him yelling for help, it s you yelling to help him. Normally the person in need will yell for help, in this game you re the one yelling to help.

It s just so unnatural to play this way, what kind of moron would behave like that in real life?

Maybe it is because I love Taratino movies, so that is why my style is to play a "sophisticated evil character" (an evil character that thinks logically). For example: if I would get my hands on a trillion dollar poker chip, I wouldn't just give it away to some idiot with a roman army. I would keep it unless I get a trillion dollars for it! (and of course is the guy that tried to kill me dead, aint that logical?)

Back