Why is Fallout 3 so hated?

In the end, it was a game for a totally different demographic. Naturally, the original demographic was not pleased.

You don't agree with them, which is fine, but you could know why by reading some threads here, like the one you just answered to.
Unless what you meant was "I don't want to know why (...)"

Fallout 3 is a good post apocalyptic game. But not Fallout. And the story is average.

If someone renames it, removes the story and adds a new one, it'll be a good game.

Still.. sales wise, it sold a lot...

...sadly. And sales are what matters these days, oh well.

As for the question, I agree with Counter. It's more suited to "new" players who care about locations and graphics and if it's open world or not, rather than "old" players which care about story.

People have good reasons for hating it but I love Fallout 3 personally. Plus, really, Fallout 3 isn't generally hated. This is a small sub-section of the internet spawned from Fallout 1/2 which is a whole other genre/set of games. Occasionally people wander onto NMA, like a white man wandering onto a native reservation, asking people what was so good about buffalo.

If someone renames it, removes the story and adds a new one, it'll be a good game.

That's like saying "if someone takes Fallout 3's graphics and makes something totally different with it, then it will be a good game."

That's like saying "if someone takes Fallout 3's graphics and makes something totally different with it, then it will be a good game."
And it'll be called Fallout: New Vegas.

Personally, the F-80 Shooting Stars on a carrier deck in 2077 made me cuss up a storm, hahah.

Yep. I was expecting a F9F, something naval. Hell, a Sabre would do fine. What's a F-80 doing in 2077? It's the first USA Combat Jet ffs! (sort of)

Personally, the F-80 Shooting Stars on a carrier deck in 2077 made me cuss up a storm, hahah.

Yep. I was expecting a F9F, something naval. Hell, a Sabre would do fine. What's a F-80 doing in 2077? It's the first USA Combat Jet ffs! (sort of)
Not only did they fail to tweak any number of existing 50's and 60's designs that could have easily become Fallout-esque (F-107, Thunderscreech, X-13, 14, 19, etc.) but they directly copied an aircraft part for part, and at that a 1940's jet, with guns, that was land-based, and stuck it on a carrier. It reeked far more of laziness than being amusing, and as a military history buff who got a kick out of seeing what happened to the military post-Great War, it really soured my grapes.

Although it did occur to me that the convenient removal of the second "2" from 2277 would also have made this make a teensy bit more sense. After all, the Washington Naval Yard would have been a reserve base by then, and it's always plausible that they dug up older equipment from the boneyard to keep the fight going. But that argument doesn't fly, both because of the date being set, and because it makes no sense to be using such antiquated equipment while you're developing T-51s.

Last edited:
I guess all names were alliterative in the '50s.

It really was quite common, actually, but Beth still went totally overboard, which is possibly my biggest pet peeve with the thing.

I felt like FO3 was a challenge the first time I played it, I had never played a game quite like it except maybe Skyrim which is a far cry from Fallout. However, I simply didn't care about anybody in the wasteland. I felt like there was no point in doing this. Im chasing across the damn capital wasteland just to find my dad? Why did I get kicked out of the vault in the first place. I mean of course they there shallow reasons but I just felt like there was no true reason. Ive tried to keep playing through it but I got to the purifier and thought hey, maybe I should play something else because Im just going through the motions right now. I didn't care about the factions or anybody besides myself really.

It's not only for fo3, all games developed by beth after oblivion should be criticiesd.
RPG is genre of intelligence and endurance.
it's requires lots of effort.
and JRPG came out, they don't require intelligence but still they require effort.
and beth's corrupted RPG came out.
it doesn't require neither intelligence nor effort.
it's just sightseeing.
and it became kind of model for good RPG while it's worthless trash as a RPG.

Back