Will we ever get to join the Enclave? Or otherwise explore their organization?

Sheepo

First time out of the vault
And hopefully without the theatrics of their appearances in Fallout 2 or 3 as the Big Bads, especially because I think a lot of us feel that their story arc should have been considered resolved at the end of Fallout 2. At the same time, I always found it a little annoying how my character couldn't side with the Enclave, given the freedom of choice to side ideologically or pragmatically with just about every different faction or conflict in the other locations within the game. It would have presented a more interesting dilemma to players who were possibly sympathetic to the Enclave's vision but at the same time wanted to free their tribe from their clutches.

Perhaps a similar scenario could occur not necessarily with the Enclave, but something close to that concept.

Doubtful. The Enclave really dislikes those that aren't pure humans. And they only consider "pure" humans to be like people in Vault's. Even if someone lived in a Vault all their life it's still possible they wouldn't consider them pure too should they have ever left the Vault.

And should they ever recruit from a Vault it may be more of a case of them going to one and doing it themselves rather than you going to them.

tl;dr: Enclave are purity nuts. It's doubtful you'll ever see a game where they'd be a joinable faction unless they were changed.

Fair enough point, I'd completely forgotten about the Chosen One's 'impurity' and the Enclave attitude towards that.

I hope not. Enclave was killed 2 times already, let them stay dead this time.
I liked them in FNV, they were what they were supposed to be, a bunch of survivors.
The problem with the Enclave is that it would be difficult to make them more believable without stripping them of their defining characteristics.

The Enclave is dead, and that's how it should remain.

Yeah, I feel you should not have more chances to join the Enclave than to join the Nazis of 1939-45. They are dead. Burried. Done. I would rather want to see the Enclave become some sort of boogeyman for the people of the wasteland.

Even if they brought them back for some reason, either the Enclave is going to be a fractured shadow of an organization like the Remnants which frankly wouldn't have much in the way of interesting structure to explore (even if it's made up of interesting characters) or it's going to be the sort of shadowy bad-guys with power that doesn't really make a lot of sense to let the protagonist join unless it's in a "bad ending, game over" sort of way (like siding with the Master, or with Elijah in Dead Money.)

I half expected some members of the Institute to be Enclave members.

The Enclave is dead, and that's how it should remain.

Yeah, I feel you should not have more chances to join the Enclave than to join the Nazis of 1939-45. They are dead. Burried. Done. I would rather want to see the Enclave become some sort of boogeyman for the people of the wasteland.

Well, there are still Operation Paperclip scientists (and the Soviet counterpart), war criminals in Argentina, the Boys from Brazil, Antarctica base, and the Dark Side of the Moon...

But yeah. The Enclave should be appearing like hat (NOT THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.). Technologically advanced remnants, sometimes co-opted as scientists for the NCR/ BoS

I think Enclave could still make for an interesting faction. A lot of people here are against a Fallout game with Enclave in it (because it was poorly done in FO3 I guess and other reasons which I'm not aware of perhaps) but it sure was a badass faction in Fallout 2.

Last edited:
Though I wouldn't want this for any future games, a mod for Fallout 2 (much like the highly discussed but never implemented post-dipping game of Fallout 1), would provide a unique avenue for the player to finish the game in a much different manner than he started it.

Strangely, I was actually thinking about this earlier. In Fallout, you can join the villain, but you couldn’t in Fallout 2… well, sort of, but not sincerely. But even if you could, what could you do? Raid vaults (like in the intro), maybe?

I recall the designers desiring to include a mission where you could assault Vault 13, but it was cut, probably due to time constraints.

Fallout 3 was such a moronic missed opportunity with the Enclave. Here was the last real chance that the Enclave could be used as viable villains in the Fallout universe. Your character is originally established as being born in a vault. Perfect candidate for Enclave recruitment then right? Not with Bethesda at the helm, who then proceeded to fuck that backstory up with some convoluted crap about you being born in the wasteland and your dad abandoning his science project to live in a hole for twenty years.

Bethesda had one chance (a very unfriendly one, lore-wise, I should point out) but one chance nonetheless, and they fucked it up. There is next to no reason for your character to not be able to join them in Fallout 3.

Any attempt to reintroduce the Enclave now will be stupid and contrived. Let me guess Bethesda, they were on board the Mothership Zeta all along, ready to beam down and kill all humans, again?

It has been said here a hundred times but we need new factions, not repeats of the same old ones from previous games. The Enclave has been the enemy twice. The BoS has been in every game released. Mutants were the big bad villains the first time out. Robots were the main enemy in Tactics. The Legion in New Vegas. Synths/Institute in Fallout 4. Why not another new faction?

Are the Enclave really that unique? They seem to believe the same way the BoS does in some cases since they are so focused on purity and against the mutants and other radiated life in the Wasteland. I am curious what working for the Enclave would be like (you kinda see that in F2) but I feel it would be more of the same.

It has been said here a hundred times but we need new factions, not repeats of the same old ones from previous games. The Enclave has been the enemy twice. The BoS has been in every game released. Mutants were the big bad villains the first time out. Robots were the main enemy in Tactics. The Legion in New Vegas. Synths/Institute in Fallout 4. Why not another new faction?

Are the Enclave really that unique? They seem to believe the same way the BoS does in some cases since they are so focused on purity and against the mutants and other radiated life in the Wasteland. I am curious what working for the Enclave would be like (you kinda see that in F2) but I feel it would be more of the same.

Agreed. The Enclave have been done too much, let the other new factions take part.

I like the enclave, the only possible scenario that I wouldn't roll my eyes at would be a small chapter ( Chicago) possibly trying to reintegrate themselves with the rest of the wasteland. In a positive or helpful way maybe, even as an enclave sympathiser we all need to acknowledge that they have had their run.

After FO2, there was always a certain "What about the guys in Navarro" question about the Enclave going on, but it was pretty much agreed they would have to relocate their operations elsewhere and that the Enclave as a power was finished.

I think the whole "Return of the Enclave" plot was completely wasted. Here they had a chance to make a triumphal return of the most powerful antagonists in the Fallout series, and they blew it up. It would have meant a lot more if in, say, Fallout 4 or 6, the Enclave came back, changed, but alive and powerful again. When I saw a Vertibird coming towards Project Purity, I thought "holy crap, is that a Vertibird?! Shit's about to get serious! Ohmanohman I'm gonna get gutted effortlessly." After one second of surprise from seeing a Enclave trooper, I shot him dead with my Combat Shotgun.

That was just... wrong.

Back