Would people be interested in contributing to NMA's Fallout 4 and DLC review?

I've finished my part. Looking over the review, and seeing how it hasn't been expanded much recently, I'd assume everyone else has too.
You should look into Railroad part a bit more close, I left a hint in a google docs page.

I was on vacation the last 2 weeks, I finished my part like 3 weeks ago and shared a document with you @The Dutch Ghost and sent you through PM. Let me know if you got it! Hope it helps!

@0wing & @JO'Geran

I'm seeing a lot of repeated points in the General Story/World part. 0wing, if you're fine with doing the lead-in, JO can take the middle and I'll do the last part.

It'll mean cutting the second half of your post, since there's a lot of repeated points there, though.

Just a question, was one of my reviews added? I couldn't find a link anywhere...

Ps: I have noticed some errors here and there, but I am out of PC for the next few days so can anyone help with that?

(Very rough draft I did some time back. Posting it here since I don't know what to do with it)

Fallout 4

It just works

In a year where games like Pillars of Eternity, Witcher 3, Underrail, and Age of Decadence are around, a game like Fallout 4 looks so average in comparison. Like a fast food version of an oldschool RPG dinner with elements of the things you love, but lacking the home made ingredients that truly make it that savory experience you crave.

Fallout fans from the beginning have disagreed on what Fallout should be about. Even back when Interplay owned the franchise, fans argued about whether Fallout 2 was a worthy successor to the original due to some of the changes in tone. Tactics was treated the same (much worse actually) for a few reasons, then we all know about Van Buren and the eventual Brotherhood of Steel (PoS) fiasco, and finally Bethesda and their new take on the beloved series with Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 created an entire new fanbase that was partially made up of Elder Scrolls fans many who wanted different things from RPG's in general. New Vegas was a hearkening back to the originals with even some of the old developers on board like Sawyer with several references to Fallout 2, more C&C, and much better writing. Some are quite confident in saying New Vegas is the true sequel to Fallout 2.

Now in comes Fallout 4. Possibly one of the most divisive entries yet. Even some Bethesda fans are upset by the simplification in RPG mechanics, dialog, story, among other things. Mainstream sites like Kotaku and IGN have spoken at length about the games many shortcomings, some of those being the focus on voice-acting and paper thin settlement mechanics.

If the game sucks, the answer may have been we tried to do too much. -Todd (Godd) Howard

Bethesda has long been accused of streamlining their games to appeal to a larger audience, simplifying the game into something that hardly resembles a traditional RPG. I would be interested to see the production behind the scenes because they clearly lost focus somewhere during the development of Fallout 4; trying to appease too many people at once by catering to several audiences, in this case Mass Effect, Minecraft, and Borderlands, has altered the series even further from it's roots. The whole series has been muddled even further. There is no definitive Fallout experience at this point in time. Now it is difficult to know what to expect.

Let us begin with the opening intro which commits a sin right off the bat by removing Ron Perlman as the narrator and automatically pigeonholes you as the male protagonist talking about his grandfather during WW2. Courtney Taylor does a decent job but doesn't pull it off well enough to warrant the change. After an incredibly short pre-war section where you are witness to a nuke hitting Boston the protagonist along with their spouse and child escapes to the underground Vault 111 where they are all three cryogenically frozen, only for the main protagonist to wake up with their son being kidnapped and their spouse killed shortly after. This starts the journey as the Sole Survivor escapes the vault alone looking for their son.

I suppose after the lengthy tutorial of Fallout 3 they figured it would be better to get straight into the meat of the game. As soon as you get to Sanctuary you will most likely venture to Concord (the most obvious route due to the way the map is arranged) where you get Power Armor almost immediately, taking out a Deathclaw in the process. Something that in the original games takes hours of game time happens to you in about thirty minutes.

Afterwards Preston Garvey, one of the last Minuteman in service, says you are the new General, even though he orders you around the rest of the game. You never get treated like a General aside from one or two moments which makes the title a bit pointless and frankly silly. I don't like to use the term ludonarrative dissonance, but it clearly applies here. You are distracted by settlement RADIANT AI quests, the Minutemen, and their problems right out of the gate. You are dragged into these territorial conflicts while your character is focused on saving his son. I JUST WANT TO SAVE MY SON! FUCK YOUR SETTLEMENT!

I like what we’ve done with the dialogue system… and having played Fallout 3 again recently I keep, in Fallout 4 when I’m playing, I keep hitting the button to leave dialogue. I keep forgetting, ‘Oh, I can just walk away’. I don’t have to wait for this guy to stop talking’. And now I’m playing other stuff, where there’s dialogue and I’m thinking, ‘Oh, I wish I could just walk away’. Because I don’t have the attention span for long dialogue! . . . Unless it’s Uncharted or anything by Naughty Dog, and then I never skip any of the dialogue – ’cause theirs is awesome. PETE HINES

The dialog is just a gateway to service the combat. The worst you can be during dialog is a snarky asshole. It is so limited some conversations feature 4 options that are all the same result with such minor variations in dialog it is laughable. The decision to use a dialog wheel was horrible, maybe being one of the most disliked feature of the game across the board.

FALLOUT 3 HAD MORE DIALOG OPTIONS AND SKILL CHECKS! Let that sink in.

There were too many skill checks to count in the original Fallout games. Now Charisma has taken the place of most if not all of them. Gone are the days where you had to use your Repair skill to fix broken parts. When compared to New Vegas Fallout 4 is woefully absent of actual quests besides the Radiant variety. Once you get down to actually doing quests you find out they are so sparse, with many of the side quests being more exciting than the main quests - even those cases being simplified - often with little variety besides speech checks and killing. Charisma checks are the most you can expect from Fallout 4 with a grand total of one (ONE!) intelligence check being used in all of my time playing. Most of the quests in the game are designed around fetching objects, killing enemies in certain locations, or performing a simple task for certain NPCs like finding paint for the Diamond City Wall, or returning overdue books to some old abandoned library.

In typical Bethesda style the world is fun to explore until you see how lifeless it actually is. NPC's quickly exhaust their dialog options before repeating the same sentences for the next 80 hours, with little to no world building in the process. The repeatable lines are to be expected with such a large game but it leaves me with the impression that the game is bugged, with several key NPC's repeating long strings of dialog before you can interact with them. Often times dialog that should be spoken once - as is the case with the Vault Tec rep who you can recruit early in the game. After joining me almost every time I spoke to him my character asked him to come to Sanctuary , repeating the same dialog until I eventually sent him on a provision run where he got stuck on a rock and stayed for the next twenty hours before I eventually had to kill him. This is common now with Bethesda games, so common in fact that many overlook it, almost giving it a free pass.

Where most Bethesda games feature a large number of towns, cities, villages of different sorts Fallout 4 is lacking in that manner due to the increased focus on settlement building. Many settlements can be taken over (around 30) but aside from Goodneighbor, Diamond City, and a few other places, there aren't many cities populated with NPC's . The focus seems to be on building your own locations so this leaves the game feeling a bit underdeveloped. For people who don't want to use this aspect of the game this might be disappointing.

You can count on seeing at least one skeleton in some amusing pose in most locations of interest. You might even find terminal entries that are occasionally entertaining but often meaningless fluff to give the illusion of having depth. The problem is the world is filled with nothing but things that want to kill you or lifeless mannequins. There are few people to speak to and when you do find NPC's that have something to say it is usually very sparse, with little variety in how you advance. NPC's are little more than robots that give you quests and repeat the same phrases over and over again.The Boston setting is fairly nice to explore with several beautiful locations scattered across the Commonwealth. Diamond City itself is much like Megaton in design, but you can tell they put more thought into things this time, focusing on water and agriculture as opposed to people surviving on 200 year old Salisbury Steak.

All of the factions are naturally enemies with one another, so there are certain quests that get locked off if you piss them off, so quest design has been done justice in this manner since some of the effects can be felt, even though a simple reload from a point an hour or so earlier can allow you to switch to another faction and get their ending rather easily. They clearly took some cues from Obsidian in this regard or they took some of the complaints about Fallout 3 to heart, either way it was a big improvement. Despite that however several logical quest options in regards to faction relations are left out with the resolution of their respective plotlines being rather shallow.

But there are so many times where obvious questions or options should be available but you are left with nothing useful left to say other than “yes” I will go kill another building full of enemies. For instance there are moments when you should clearly be able to speak to Shaun (or others) about things the Institute has done, or things you have uncovered, yet you can't.

Companions were a huge improvement, character development overall was much better, yet the actual interaction between the companions, and the effects of those actions, just don't register....There was one occasion near the end of the game where I decided to side with the Institute, in which one of my companions who liked me denounced my actions telling me how terrible I was, only the next second to say how much they loved me as if nothing ever occurred. There is simply very little taken into account of aside from who gets blown up at the end of the game, or how much your companion likes you.

Some companions have quests that unlock special perks, which are hit or miss, with even the best ones being rather average. You can do one to get Cait off drugs, which doesn't really change her personality much, one to turn Curie into a Synth (one of the better ones), or some of the worst ones like the one for Macready. Others have nothing at all. The actual control of the companions is improved from Fallout 3 but more of a backstep when compared to New Vegas.

Then you have key NPC's like Father that are written so poorly it is laughable. There are so many questions the players is left unanswered due to such a limited dialog interaction. In the end you don't even have a defining villain to really dislike more than the others. They are all equally unlikable, stupid, petty, and generally want you to murder all the other factions for often ridiculous reasons.

The sound design has improved greatly, with gunshots being heard from much farther away, The voice acting is improved in many respects but the same raider and orc/mutant voices are there. Even with the massive sales of Skyrim Bethesda has managed to stick with the same voice actors rather than hiring more to improve the game. It feels like they are coasting by on the success of their previous games.

The atmosphere is much changed from Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas with many shades of blue being quite apparent. Fallout 3 had green, New Vegas yellow, Fallout 4 has blue. The environments are varied with a large number of them to explore but the locations are often lifeless with very little to do in them besides kill generic enemies and read terminals about the backstory of the locations.

I have experienced framedrops so severe that the game stuttered to a halt. I suspect this may be due to memory issues or savegame bloat but I cannot confirm at this time. They have been (were) very slow on patches with even the most simplest of fixes, like changing a simple number to fix a perk from being 2000% to 200%, have taken very long to implement. This is probably partly due to the complicated process the consoles require like with the Xbox. Even so it is a shame that the modding community can implement fixes much quicker. It makes me wonder why the games review so highly if the console experience is so plagued with issues.

Little variety all endgame builds look the same. Most people will take Hacking, Science, Gun Nut, Local Leader, etc. The perk system is not the worst thing in Fallout 4. It does have a certain degree of depth in the early to mid game, until it falls apart. You are locked out of the strongest perk ranks by both SPECIAL and level so you cannot become too overpowered early, but level ups are frequent.

Power Armor changes the balance of the game right out the gate. The fusion cores are only limited for several hours in the game until you are rolling in them. Then you have one of the top armors in the game. Weapon classification and perk distribution are messed up due to the skill system being ripped out of the game.

The animations are still stiff but slightly improved. There are several nice lighting effects - some being disabled on consoles in the latest patches - although the textures are a bit on the low side with the inevitable texture pack being most PC users first choice. Or maybe Bethesda will release another DLC/patch for it like with Skyrim. Either way it is frustrating to see Bethesda make the same mistakes time and time again.

Probably one of the most important parts of the Bethesda style RPG. The entire premise of Fallout 4 is based on the very simple kill/loot/build formula. The Quests are just one of many ways of accomplishing this since they feature primarily kill quests where you will be asked to kill certain enemies in areas (often the same ones repeatedly) then report back for a reward.

The lore has not been irrevocably destroyed but it has been altered and some things retconned such as the T60 armor being inserted into the timeline and Vertibirds being around before the Great War. More aliens have been thrown into the mix. Tactics is now canon with Nuka Cherry and the airships being mentioned. Vaults are pretty well done. They went with the social experiment angle again started in F2. There are even many references to the 60's with certain aspects of the hippy culture being present.

There are several legacy bugs still present. I encountered several gamebreaking bugs fortunately previous saves were accessible, but I did have to roll back 3 hours due to a bugged weapon gained by completing the Cabot House quest. With such a limited amount of quests it is an issue when so many of them are bugged in some way.

Little replay value after main quest. Stuck with repeatable kill quests and exploration, crafting, building mechanics. The C&C is better than the typical Bethesda title (way better than Elder Scrolls which is non-existent), but it is still fairly limited once again when compared to New Vegas. It just feels like too much of a downgrade. The loot regenerates after you leave a locations which takes away some sense of completion. Basically very little NPC interaction even with the companions.

You can destroy the Commonwealth and Piper will scold you briefly and then act like nothing ever happened. The consequences for your actions are minor at best. There are several missed opportunities in this regard.

Not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/talking mutants and ghouls - Pete Hines.

That statement sums up the entire Bethesda experience. Once I saw that quote I stopped caring about Fallout lore and fan fiction. There is no reason to care so much about something that they treat with such carelessness.

Think you can add that to the review Toront?

I am glad to see how much progress has been made on this project, though still a little disappointed that I have not heard from Hassknecht.

I guess what we need now is some screen shots. I think eight to ten would suffice.

Will try to see if we can get this online tomorrow. (which also happens to be my birthday)

These are the most detailed and interesting companions in the series yet
:roffle:

Please, have you ever heard of Veronica?, What about Raul?, Cass? Boone?, Lily?, Hell even ED-E had more character than all the Fallout 4 companions combined.

:roffle:

Please, have you ever heard of Veronica?, What about Raul?, Cass? Boone?, Lily?, Hell even ED-E had more character than all the Fallout 4 companions combined.

I'd disagree. They had very well-developed arcs but ultimately I felt they fell below F4's.

Boone, Veronica, and Cass are three of my favorite characters in New Vegas and a major part of the reason it's the best Fallout IMHO. However, I think people tend to overestate the rest with Lily and Raoul being character whose quests are hard to actvate. Rex's cyberdog quest was morbid and nonsensical (if we're replacing his brain, he's dead). ED-E while adorably lethal doesn't really have a quest and its inability to speak kind of undercut things a lot.

I also felt like Boone's quest kind of "stopped" in that I never really felt it had the resolution it needed the way Veronica's and Cass' could.

Boone, Veronica, and Cass are three of my favorite characters in New Vegas and a major part of the reason it's the best Fallout IMHO. However, I think people tend to overestate the rest with Lily and Raoul being character whose quests are hard to actvate. Rex's cyberdog quest was morbid and nonsensical (if we're replacing his brain, he's dead). ED-E while adorably lethal doesn't really have a quest and its inability to speak kind of undercut things a lot.

I also felt like Boone's quest kind of "stopped" in that I never really felt it had the resolution it needed the way Veronica's and Cass' could.
If those are your thoughts, you probably haven't hung around with those companions long enough.

Lily and Raul's "Quests" are hard to access, but the idea is that by the time you get them, you've hung around with them long enough to have an impact on there lives.

Rex, I'll agree with you there.

ED-E does have a quest, you find out about his backstory, and his creator if you visit enough places, and you find out all the adventures he has gone through, then at the end you get to choose to either let him continue his journey, or you can empty his databanks and give them to the Followers or Brotherhood, helping them with research they are conducting.

Boone's quest does have a resolution. If you stay with him long enough, you get to decide whether he continues being bitter about the past, or tries to move on.

Rex's cyberdog quest was morbid and nonsensical (if we're replacing his brain, he's dead).
I used to see it the same way, but there is an in-universe explanation. Skynet is a robobrain companion in Fallout 2. Skynet is an AI that the player character can fix up a robobrain body for. The body is repaired and a brain is placed in. Skynet uses the brain as storage space for his consciousness. Rex's mind could have been transferred to the new brain just like Skynet. The changes in behavior and abilities could be attributed to left over information from the previous mind, or the chemical characteristics of the brain itself. I think this is plausible, but there is nothing solid to point to this that I know of. Doctor Henry is a neuroscientist from the Enclave, so he is one of the few people that I could see actually doing this procedure. Personally, I'm going to headcanon the shit out of Rex because I want to believe. ;-)

Think you can add that to the review Toront?

I am glad to see how much progress has been made on this project, though still a little disappointed that I have not heard from Hassknecht.

I guess what we need now is some screen shots. I think eight to ten would suffice.

Will try to see if we can get this online tomorrow. (which also happens to be my birthday)

Ghost, quick point.

We should post this as a multi-page review, one full review per page, instead of cutting it up like we have been. Doing it the current way would take a lot more editing to make it all seamless.

As for the screenshots, I'll get on that for mine. (Still working on 0wing's parts when I'm not at work.)

We should post this as a multi-page review, one full review per page, instead of cutting it up like we have been. Doing it the current way would take a lot more editing to make it all seamless.
Nah, I think the old system is fine since some of the reviews don't cover every "chapter".

If those are your thoughts, you probably haven't hung around with those companions long enough.

I would disagree given the hundreds of hours I've spent with them.

Lily and Raul's "Quests" are hard to access, but the idea is that by the time you get them, you've hung around with them long enough to have an impact on there lives.

Yes, and it's frequently bugged and annoying.

ED-E does have a quest, you find out about his backstory, and his creator if you visit enough places, and you find out all the adventures he has gone through, then at the end you get to choose to either let him continue his journey, or you can empty his databanks and give them to the Followers or Brotherhood, helping them with research they are conducting.

Yep. I generally prefer the Fallout 4 companions.

Boone's quest does have a resolution. If you stay with him long enough, you get to decide whether he continues being bitter about the past, or tries to move on.

Yes, which feels less like a bang more like a whimper. There's other areas which should have been handled I think we well.

Generally, I felt with rare exceptions, that the F4 Companions were just better. I'm happy to say why too.

Back