Your favourite New Vegas character?

Funny that you mention it. Boone is also really up there. I kinda have a thing for woobies, I guess.

And as for the nuke, the Courier's Mile wasn't exactly a good place to begin with and the nuke was surprisingly weak. So I guess it wasn't really a big deal. Everything else is either incomplete or can be disabled so no biggie there either.

Ulysses, oooohhhhhhh!! Ulysses is just so fantastic to me. Being one of three fantastic stars of Lonesome Road and constantly mentioned throughout the other DLCs, I had very high expectations for his character... and he exceeded all of them.

His strange stalker-ish obsession with the Courier and profound historical comprehension work together incredibly well with his Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds actions and witnessing that is just simply incredible. But then, talking him out of his crazy plan and fighting side by side with him after all of that criticism and philosophy was just the perfect ending to an otherwise 'meh' DLC. His sheer power, cool mask, and awesome voice with those fragmented sentences really supported that climactic confrontation at his temple, altogether cementing him as even one of my favorite characters in any fiction (partly due to being a total escapist character to me). I can never resist to urge to recruit him with mods just to fight side by side once again.

Almost as much though, I like House. He's a totally cool insufferable genius that can be a bit off-putting, but I just can't help but be charmed by him. On my first playthrough, I almost betrayed him to take Vegas for myself, thinking I could do a slightly better job, but after reading his obituary and hearing his speech about his plans turned my opinion from just "I kinda like him," to full blown admiration and a deep desire to support his Vegas. What I like the most about him though, is how rewarding it feels to be complimented by him. He's such a smug jerkass most of the time, when he expresses how impressed he is by the Courier, it's genuinely feels more rewarding than any other achievement in New Vegas. It certainly helps to have shared his political ideals before even meeting him.

But Ulysses is soooo depressing. Even more depressing than Boone. Plus your PC has to be either extremely daft or psychotic to
Launch a nuke just to talk to some guy with a cool voice

In fairness,
It's not necessarily clear to the player, and it certainly wouldn't be obvious to any given wasteland courier, that the switch to unlock the Ashton silo door also triggered a missile launch. In fact, to those players just following their quest compasses or those who saw no logical reason to try to get through a door the game had already told them they 'd need to unlock first (and thus didn't try said door and receive the subsequent "launch sequence" game prompt), there was almost no way of knowing what was going to happen.

With due respect, I think your breakdown of the situation only works from a stricly metagame standpoint. The only other lever like the one at Ashton Silo that the Courier (or player) had yet seen at that point was the one in the Hopeville bunke, and its function was to open a blast door and grant access to a missile silo-- oddly enough, the precise thing the courier has been directed to do at Ashton.

In fairness,
It's not necessarily clear to the player, and it certainly wouldn't be obvious to any given wasteland courier, that the switch to unlock the Ashton silo door also triggered a missile launch. In fact, to those players just following their quest compasses or those who saw no logical reason to try to get through a door the game had already told them they 'd need to unlock first (and thus didn't try said door and receive the subsequent "launch sequence" game prompt), there was almost no way of knowing what was going to happen.

With due respect, I think your breakdown of the situation only works from a stricly metagame standpoint. The only other lever like the one at Ashton Silo that the Courier (or player) had yet seen at that point was the one in the Hopeville bunke, and its function was to open a blast door and grant access to a missile silo-- oddly enough, the precise thing the courier has been directed to do at Ashton.

I don't know. In my first playthrough I had an extremely intelligent character who got a bit suspicious after seeing a clear zone and a lever next to it. Long story short, I never finished Lonesome Road with that character. Probably should do that with an insane psychopath.

In fairness,

I don't know. In my first playthrough I had an extremely intelligent character who got a bit suspicious after seeing a clear zone and a lever next to it. Long story short, I never finished Lonesome Road with that character. Probably should do that with an insane psychopath.
Hard to say this without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm just gonna bite the bullet and say it... AS a highly intelligent person (as opposed to simply role playing one), it says quite a bit that I was completely surprised by the "Courier's Mile Incident", myself. I didn't see it coming at all, though the particular steps did seem "odd". "Why's this particular switch so important to moving forward?" certainly came to mind. But thoughts of that nature were clouded by other thoughts, like, "Man, this adventure sure is linear..." It wasn't a masterful story feint, but it was pretty clever, and I find it easily conceivable that any individual, in the circumstances that Lonesome Road provided, would easily make the same mistake, had hold-your-hand compasses, quest markers, and objective details not been present to give anything away.

Besides, as far as "never finishing Lonesome Road" (turning back), as Ulysses summed up quite perfectly, the Courier was "compelled" to explore further. The Courier HAD no legitimate cause to venture deeper into The Divide, but did anyway. It was a mark of the character's reckless curiosity, one of the few character qualities imposed upon the Courier by the story outside of the player's own personal imagined background. It's easily conceivable for the situation to lead the Courier to- just as they delivered a seemingly totally innocuous package to a little town only for it to trigger a massive calamity -likewise accidentally trigger another calamity due to simple and forgivable lack-of-omniscience.

I think people should stop assuming the knowledge they have as players/readers is the same one the characters have, altho Ulysses does tell you that you can turn your back t any moment and return home, the only reason you have to continue is to find out what he is up to, and really, how would your character, no matter how intelligent he is, deduce he is about to activate a dormant missile silo? That just goes into outright fortune telling.... Unless you are letting metagaming get in the way of roleplaying.
I wouldn't know, I have so many hours clocked in New Vegas that the game is a toy box to me now, I just make random runs just to see the combinations I can make with the different options and builds and a few (148 and counting) mods, never really caring about getting the good ending or justifying what I do in what I know will happen.

I did not turn back metagaming wise. I had no idea that such events would happen (I found that out MUCH later) The reason my char turned back was that the whole pad and a simple switch felt extremely suspicious to him.

There had been plenty of similar switches earlier in the DLC that had done things as simple as unlocking a door. From the looks of things, that could have easily been a switch to unlock the elevator, which was exactly what it did. Perhaps one may be able to tell what would happen based on the fact that the quest is called 'The Launch', but that is completely meta. There was no way for the Courier to know or even suspect otherwise that opening the silo also launched the missile. Not to mention, a simple exposed switch would almost never be all it needed to set off a nuke, ED-E or no. The Courier doesn't have Foresight, but is implied to have Mailman Instinct. What do you think the Courier would be thinking?

My current character just made Boone shoot many in his quest just so she could get the Khan Hospitality note (yes, I know I can get it on his terminal, but I don't metagame) and then just ran from town without even reporting back to him. That was a good moment of absolute douchebagery and emergent quest solving.

My current character just made Boone shoot many in his quest just so she could get the Khan Hospitality note (yes, I know I can get it on his terminal, but I don't metagame) and then just ran from town without even reporting back to him. That was a good moment of absolute douchebagery and emergent quest solving.

Nicely done. My "evil" couriers always have Boone kill Manny.

So far for me, Yes Man and No-Bark have humored me the most. Their dialogue is great and I can't wait to talk to them when I can.

Victoria also struck me a little, but I need to play with her more.

Last edited:
There are so many great characters in the game, it"s impossible to pick one as your favorite.

But still, my top 3 would be Veronica, Dr. Mobius and The King.

Veronica - because she is so cute, funny and damn useful in a fight. I kind of felt cheated when I found out she is a lesbian, hehehe. She gives you a really unique and interesting insight into BoS, a faction that was always so mysterious to me, although I did play Fallout 1-3. I always felt bad when I had to dump her in order to recruit other followers...

Mobius because he is so damn funny. And insane in a positive, goofy and ultimately creative way.

And The King because I expected him to be a douche, but he turned out to be a good guy with his people's best interest in mind at all times. Plus, he loves dogs, and reacts in the same way I would if someone told me my dog is going to die. And he is simply bursting with charisma.

Elijah and Ulysses are probably some of my favorite characters in Games full stop.

From the Vanilla game, I've gotta say I liked Mr House's character a lot, both in terms of being an interesting character and his opinions aligning more with my own (More so than the NCR and Legion, I mean.).

There are so many great characters in the game, it"s impossible to pick one as your favorite.

But still, my top 3 would be Veronica, Dr. Mobius and The King.

Veronica - because she is so cute, funny and damn useful in a fight. I kind of felt cheated when I found out she is a lesbian, hehehe. She gives you a really unique and interesting insight into BoS, a faction that was always so mysterious to me, although I did play Fallout 1-3. I always felt bad when I had to dump her in order to recruit other followers...

Mobius because he is so damn funny. And insane in a positive, goofy and ultimately creative way.

And The King because I expected him to be a douche, but he turned out to be a good guy with his people's best interest in mind at all times. Plus, he loves dogs, and reacts in the same way I would if someone told me my dog is going to die. And he is simply bursting with charisma.

I liked the King also, as I really liked his voice acting, and his story. The thing I liked with the King was that he came from an under priviliged and swept under the carpet society, yet he still believes that freeside will be eventually greater than vegas. I thought even though hes a gang leader, he's sounds like an all around good chap if you know what I mean, like a good guy to have on your side.

I think everyone's said just about everyone now.

I guess my favourite characters would be Arcade,
Veronica,
Boone,
Raul,
Cass,
ED-E (particularly the Lonesome Road one),
Caesar,
Mr House,
Dean Domino,
Christine,
Joshua Graham,
I fucking love Father Elijah. As someone who hung around the Brotherhood of Steel alot on their first few playthroughs, his name kept coming up personally, so meeting him had a wonderful build-up and payoff for me.
I also loved Ulysses, it was like having an arch enemy (which you don't really get much in games, especially not in RPG's (wish he could've been a companion though)
The Think Tank,
Benny,
The Enclave Remnants were brilliant.
I also had an affinity for Colonel Hsu. While his character frustratingly had the normal 'extras' voice I sympathised with him being the guy who had to do all the work while the politicos postured.

There's just too many to mention. The best part about this thread is you can compare it to all the characters we DON'T remember from Fallout 3 and Skyrim (and I'm sure Fallout 4 characters will suck as well). Remember, umm, remember....oh remember Moira? She was funny right...?

There's just too many to mention. The best part about this thread is you can compare it to all the characters we DON'T remember from Fallout 3 and Skyrim (and I'm sure Fallout 4 characters will suck as well). Remember, umm, remember....oh remember Moira? She was funny right...?

Beating a dead horse to bring that up.

Ulysses, Benny, Joshua Graham and Mr House are my favorite NPC's. Wish there was an ending to team up with Benny but I guess he'd probably just backstab you again after the epilogue if that happened. For companions, probably Boone and Raul. Sucks I can't complete their quests on my main save because in Raul's quest Loyal disappeared on me and I used up all of Boone's "history points". I also like Chief Hanlon because he's looks and is voiced by the same guy who did Ned White from a western game I had called Gun.

Last edited:
From the vanilla game: Caesar, Boone, Raul, The King, Rotface :-D and Doc Mitchell.
From the DLC's: Joshua Graham, Ulysses, Elijah and Dean Domino.

Back