Bethesda to buy another IP?

Ausir said:
Maybe the game they're working on with the Enemy Territory guys is an X-Com sequel made into a tactical shooter?

X-Com: Alliance already tried the "Tactical Shooter" idea, it never even came out. I still actually have magazines from the late 90s with screens of it in them.

Bethesda Softworks Proudly Presents:
EXTREME CHESS MASTER: Awesome Edition.

images

Expanded Information

- Limitless Freedom! – Predefined movements are so 15th century. Now you have the power to make the choices that define your own style of moving. Just keep an eye on your Bubonic Plague Meter!

- Experience D.E.E.P.B.L.U.E.! – Bethesda's engineers bring you the latest in human ability simulation – the D.E.E.P.B.L.U.E. System! Utilizing new breakthroughs in points-based ability representation, D.E.E.P.B.L.U.E. affords unlimited customization of your pieces. Determine your kings shape and size, from thin to full-figured to muscular—and everything in between! Turn the queen into a drag queen! Also included are dozens of unique wigs and dresses to choose from, each with a dazzling variety of details!

- Fantastic New Views! – The wizards at Bethesda have done it again! No longer constrained to just one view, experience the chess world from 1st or 3rd person perspective. Customize your view with the touch of a button!

- The Power of Choice! – Feeling like a dastardly villain today, or a Good Samaritan? Pick a side or walk the line, as every situation can be dealt with in many different ways. Play your session in a civilized fashion, or just shove the board into the opponent's ugly mug!

- Blast ‘Em Away With K.A.T.S.! – Even the odds with the Kasparov Assisted Targeting System! K.A.T.S. allows you to pause time in match, target specific pieces on your board, queue up necessary position changes, and let us deal with your lack of intelligence for you. Capture all the enemy pieces you want: rain death and destruction in an all-new cinematic presentation featuring gory dismemberments and spectacular explosions of blood and brains!

- No humans allowed! –
as our lead designer puts it, “How many massively single-player role-playing games are there?” The answer is, not that many. Not that many at all.

- Mind-Blowing Artificial Intelligence! – At BethSoft, our best minds pooled their efforts to produce an advanced version of Radiant AI, America’s First Choice in Computer Chess Algorithms. You haven't played chess until you play it with Radiant AI!

- Eye-Popping Prettiness! – Enjoy the only 3D chess game without any shadows! From the black and white board, to the sleek red and yellow board, Witness the harsh realities of modern chess-playing rendered like never before in modern super-deluxe HD graphics!

Dammit, forgot to mention the unkillable bishops and a certain Hollywood actor voicing the king. But you get the idea.

Bodybag said:
Man, this thread is precious. I can't wait to see everyone's reaction when they find out it's actually X-Com.

Man... that one did give me the shakes. And made me remember there many "abandoned" games out there I love:

"In all of our meetings when we discussed what other franchise we would love to do it always came down to fallout... and Grim Fandango. So yeah, in Grim Fandango 2 Manny is back because the people are in need of his heroic acts and only his superpowers can save the world."

"Oh, oh, but Mr. Howard Manny didn't have no super powers! And he wasn't much of an heroic character to begin wit-"

"Well kid, but now he's back from Teh Ninth Underwurlz, and its been more than 10years, he's been upgraded to modern times. And we have a whole lot of awsumz puzzles to back him up, the guys designed things so cool. For example, you may encounter a big, green, orc, I mean supermutan... ehem.. demon. And he's coming at you, right? So you have to figure out where to shoot him! Shoot him in the legs to slow him down? Or shoot him in the head to make it exploudsz?? It's not only a superb puzzle... its tactics at their maximum expression! We are also removing items and inventory. Why go around carrying some junk busting your brain trying to figure out what to to do with 'em when you can just solve your problems by shooting things in da head?

And the dialog is just too much of an innovation to let out any hints now! You will just have to wait and see! But worry not, we have certainly retained all the black humor and film noir feel there!"

"Erm, well yeah. Thank you for your time, Mr. Howard."

"Oh, and fans will WUV this: Sal is also back. That sproutella actually tuned him into a giant tree, he's the new hope of the Land of the Dead, turning it into an oasis, and there's these cultists... I really like that idea, its something that we ave never done before."

eye of the beholder, kings quest, quest for glory...

but yes, i would FUCKING LOVE for them to take some other IP and destroy it so they can enjoy what happened to fallout first person.

lulz, first person! seewhatididthere

i just hope its not ultima, that is my fallout to you guys. while i really like fallout, i love and adore ultima.

might and magic would be ok too.

tbh, what they really need to do, is get a 2nd team up and running while they get a 3rd IP going so they can put out games on a rotation setup.

2 teams working on 3 IPs would put out a game every 2 years, with like 6 years per sequel i think?

EA is still not finished with Ultima so it will be some time before Bethesda will be able to touch that one.

But any other franchises by companies such as Microprose or Westwood (Westwood also did some RPG like games) that are no longer continued are at risk.

It's kind of funny that they still think buying IPs is a good idea. Okay, I mean, Fallout 3 did well. But the fact it did so well had nothing to do with the fact it was a sequel to two fantastic games. So why pay $100 million when you could pay a team of writers well under $1 million a year to churn out ideas for new IPs for you. Hollywood figured this out a while ago. The public is never so attached to a movie in a particular genre that they can be persuaded to not seem another movie in the same genre. Rather than buying the James Bond series Universal went out and made their own slick spy movie and to date the Bourne series has made almost a billion dollars worldwide. Anyways, I think just shows lack of creativity and enthusiasm to purchase IPs rather than create new ones.

M-26-7 said:
Fallout 3 did well. But the fact it did so well had nothing to do with the fact it was a sequel to two fantastic games.
It's true. Fallout 3 is essentially a spiritual successor to Oblivion.
They could make Panzer General 4, but if they follow the same bush league design philosophy it'd just be Oblivion with .88mms and Messerschmitts.

It's just like painting over dirt.

heh. i just had a vision of Todd Howard: The Houseguest, The Game.

an action-packed sandbox adventure begins when you invite Mr. Howard over for dinner and struggle to keep up with him as he replaces your Laphroaig 40-Year for a bottle of Cutty Sark! watch as he pulls a switcheroo and trades your beloved son for a retching hobo! uh-oh! did todd just turn your entire bookshelf into Grishams?

for every reclaimed item of worth you gain a perception boost! gain enough perception boosts and you finally learn your lesson: stop inviting silly Mr. Howard the prankster over for dinner!

the only way you win is by not buying this game!

M-26-7 said:
It's kind of funny that they still think buying IPs is a good idea. Okay, I mean, Fallout 3 did well. But the fact it did so well had nothing to do with the fact it was a sequel to two fantastic games. So why pay $100 million when you could pay a team of writers well under $1 million a year to churn out ideas for new IPs for you.
There are a few good reasons. When you buy an IP, you get a sure thing, and you generally don't need to spend 100 million. If you just hire writers, there's no guarantee that they will produce something compelling. There are many professional writers that come up with stuff that's much less interesting than the Fallout setting, for example. Also, there is some notoriety to be gained by reviving a classic. Games like Ninja Gaiden or Bionic Commando have a sort of geek chic appeal, even to newer gamers that are too young to have played the originals.

M-26-7 said:
Hollywood figured this out a while ago. The public is never so attached to a movie in a particular genre that they can be persuaded to not seem another movie in the same genre. Rather than buying the James Bond series Universal went out and made their own slick spy movie and to date the Bourne series has made almost a billion dollars worldwide. Anyways, I think just shows lack of creativity and enthusiasm to purchase IPs rather than create new ones.
The Bourne series of movies comes directly from a famous series of books. Many of Hollywood's "good ideas" come directly from literature or older films.

M-26-7 said:
It's kind of funny that they still think buying IPs is a good idea. Okay, I mean, Fallout 3 did well...
It really did? How comes that.

I mean seriously would be curious to hear if it was really succesfull or not. As I really dont know it.

It's not a juggernaut like Wii Fit, but the estimates I've seen look pretty good. It got a nice boost because it came out during the Holiday season, and it is doing well compared to similar games like Mass Effect and Fable 2, especially if you combine the sales from the different platforms.

To find out about shipped numbers, you can look at the company's financial reports or look for a press release (Beth announced that they shipped >4 million units initially). Sold-through estimates are trickier. NPD has estimates for North America, but you have to pay to see all of the numbers. Media Create and Famitsu do Japan. VGChartz tries to tie everything together. When you look at the estimates, you shouldn't take the absolute number too seriously, but relative comparisons can be useful.

What About Bloodrayne?

The vampire world is pretty pop at the moment (thanks to Underworld series)

Back