Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elven6 said:
On the engine thing, Todd Howard said in August of this year that BGS's next project would use Gamebyro. I doubt they were able to build a new engine in the 4 months or so since then.

Most likely just a modification. Even if it is, I'm pretty excited to see what this modified version of Gamebyro will look like.

http://beefjack.com/news/new-bethesda-release-uses-gamebryo-engine/
Yeah, they're still using Gamebryo, but not the same Gamebyro they were using 4 years ago for Oblivion. The jump from Morrowind to Oblivion was pretty big in terms of style.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Play the demo then decide, until then, you have no right to complain about TES.
Beth don't do demos.

The teaser mentions the player being the one person that dragons fear....I'd love to see a game that gave the hero such respect from day one...but they won't. They could try some great idea where then a dragon comes to destroy our hero's town (where he is in the jail) a great light eminates from him and suddenly he knocks the wall down. He (we) head for the dragons terroizing town and their fire does us no harm. We are garbed with armor and weapons of pure light and slay a number of them in the opening combat. They quickly flee and our power leaves us.

The first main quest lines are us discovering what we are, and how to harness that power then dragons are near. The dragons also find out, are terrified of us, and send dragon cultists and Dark Brotherhood repeatedly to kill us (only if we do those initial main quests, so we don't have to put up with that if we'd rather avoid the main quest and just play in the world). We are actually out classes by some of these assassins or cultists and must flee or air ourselves. As dragons start attacking various towns, we head in their direction and the dragons flee. Lords, merchants, and pesants all beg us to stay close to their region to keep them form being destroyed (and as part of the story one or 2 will burn down - but it depends of which towns we aid and which we don't). We play cat and mouse, chasing dragons and running from assasins, until we can kill the assasins, then we start forcing info from them and the dragon cultists, then we hunt for the dragons layer.

I know that won't be the plot, and there are hundres of other plots that could be better....but this is Bethesda and I've no doubt their story will be more generic and linear than this one, whatever the trailer might say.

So, if you want info you need to buy the EXCLUSIVE GAME INFORMER with the scoop.

Or do what most people do, mooch off the internet and the fact that info spreads like Wild Fever.

If I get the issue early (as I sometimes do) I will horrify you all with the details.

korindabar said:
Everything has been over used, this isn't new. Once you've been gaming for over 20 years you've seen everything at least twice.

Just because some ideas are overused doesn't mean you can take the easy route when you use them again.
Doing something different and intelligent with an old cliché is refreshing too.

If people don't want old ideas in games being used over and over again, stop buying those games.

When this dragon is defeated, the next Elder Scrolls game will reveal its favorite second cousin, waking up from the slumber in the deep.

Where's this deep, anyway, where all the ancient evils conveniently sleep until the time for a sequel arrives?

Also, I refuse to buy Cataclysm, because the thought process involved in coming up with the name "Deathwing" destroys my faith in all that is good in the world.

Madbringer said:
Man, i hope they'll put some cool and rad stuff in the game. I hope the dragons will shoot lasers out of their eyes. And you'll be able to mount them and have dragon fights with lasers and you'll have laser spells that make things explode and your dragon can breathe laser fire that makes things explode and you can explode so stuff can explode and you can throw lasers and things will explode and you can throw laser dragons or summon robot dragons with lasers that explode explosions.

I'm hyped.

LMFAO!

Kind of like dolphins shooting laser beams as well. Any water in this new TES game?

smber2cnma said:
I'd love to see a game that gave the hero such respect from day one

From what I'm hearing, that's Fable III.

As far as Skyrim goes, there is nothing wrong with the teaser or the setup that the teaser gave us. Dragons are in a lot of games but they haven't been well done in many so I wouldn't say that it can't be something we haven't seen before, and their inclusion rarely makes a game suck.

The player could be this dragonborn fella and it could be very interesting, or he could think he is dragonborn, which could be even more interesting. Either way, nothing wrong with it.

The only problem here is that this is Bethesda and they don't have the best track record as of late, to say the least. Even though I enjoyed Oblivion, the drop in quality from Morrowind was dramatic and don't even get me started on Fallout The Turd. With some developers, I could say "maybe they learned from their mistakes and listened to the fans," but it's hard to be optimistic when it's Beth. They are stubborn as hell and can say one thing and do something entirely unrelated, like there is no link between the mouth and the hands whatsoever. They pretty much acknowledged that Oblivion's main storyline sucked but then we get "waters of life" nonsense.

Basically, I share the pessimism here but the setup and the teaser so far shouldn't be to blame for it. Ripping them a new one because of this teaser is being unreasonably picky.

Also, I refuse to buy Cataclysm, because the thought process involved in coming up with the name "Deathwing" destroys my faith in all that is good in the world.
If you read up on lore you'd see that Deathwing's real name is Neltharion. Deathwing was just a name given by commoners.

Still waiting on info on Dead Money. Don't know why we're talking about TES though.

As for the trailer, I'll wait until the GameInformer magazine to work up a frothy rage.

korindabar said:
Everything has been over used, this isn't new. Once you've been gaming for over 20 years you've seen everything at least twice.
Mmm, I have been gaming for over 20 years and there are some things I haven't seen twice. Mainly indie games. You know, those guys who seem to outshine the "professionals" but with less money.

Crni Vuk said:
100LBSofDogmeat said:
New, maybe.. spectacular, doubtful. These guys are generally all hype, much like Peter Molyneux of Fable. I wouldn't get too excited until closer to release, then prepare for the web of lies!!
Maybe as a lidle pet project someone should save any article or comment ever done about Oblivion 2 (I dont wnat to remember Skyrim, TESIV, its Oblivion 2 for me! Period) and as soon the game is out get some kind of webpage up showing what Bethesda promised and what the fans got in the end :mrgreen:
Hey, you compile the data and I'll build the site! Haha.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Oh ye of little faith, doubting the visceral immersiveness of a Bethesda title.

Won't you all feel silly when the demo comes out, and you can judge the game for yourself instead of having to rely on previews disguised as the Bethesda PR press kit.

Play the demo then decide, until then, you have no right to complain about TES.
IMM3RS1ON!!! Haha, very funny demo gag though. I was gonna say the definition of insanity is something about doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results... much like playing a Bethsoft game and expecting quality.

The Dutch Ghost said:
If people don't want old ideas in games being used over and over again, stop buying those games.
Done and done, old son.

sampson70 said:
Bethesda have confirm that there using the light speed(gamebryo),and from the video I saw...the engine looks great!
We're talking about that same video posted here? Was that in-game engine? Even if it was, that's a far stretch to assume the engine looks great based on a pre-made video. Or even works well... or has decent animations... or anything that games within the last 4 years have had all this time. Usable ladders, actual opening doors, cough, cough.

maximaz said:
smber2cnma said:
I'd love to see a game that gave the hero such respect from day one

From what I'm hearing, that's Fable III.
That's pretty much the entire point of the series. Fable originally started out as a game called "Project Ego". At least it's more plausible in Fable III because you start out as the son or daughter of the king of Albion, instead of an orphan or ratty street urchin. Bethesda's games are basically just player masturbation devices, like Fable, but at least Lionhead doesn't really try to hide that fact under the veil of "immersion" or whatever buzzword/name for "new" technology they like to throw around.

100LBSofDogmeat said:
Mmm, I have been gaming for over 20 years and there are some things I haven't seen twice. Mainly indie games. You know, those guys who seem to outshine the "professionals" but with less money.
Indie developers don't have project management, chains of command, shareholders to answer to, compromise between conflicting visions, hundreds of staff to coordinate, strict deadlines to meet, etc. Most indie titles are hobby-type games which are forced to shine within extreme budget constraints, which means that basically in exchange for the large scope, graphical pizazz and feature breadth of retail titles, you get one really cool hook instead. I don't think it's really a case of professionals being untalented hacks (though there are a few of those in the industry, to be fair), so much as just the realities of developing are very different for those guys. Also, differing definitions of quality make it hard to really say whether indie games are "better". For every World of Goo and Aquaria, there are hundreds of games that rot in obscurity, almost always because, frankly, they suck. It's just not fair to compare a small-scale puzzle game to the latest blockbuster action title; the goals, target markets, etc. are all totally different. Let me know when someone's made an open-world sandbox RPG better than Bethesda on a shoestring budget, and then we'll talk.

The Dutch Ghost said:
korindabar said:

Just because some ideas are overused doesn't mean you can take the easy route when you use them again.
Doing something different and intelligent with an old cliché is refreshing too.

Yes, but we are talking about Bethesda here. I have no problems with Dragons&Dungeons or Dungeons&Dragons, either way ;)

As long its dont very well. with the story for example the Dragon in Divinie Divinity 2 was cool (not the one you become, the one you meet, a "real" dragon) and it was very sad you had not more interaction with it.

Problem with Bethesda is that usualy doing things the generic way is the way they do it and what they do best. I have no clue what people expect right now. A filet Mignon by McDonalds ? Bethesda is producing fast food right now. I doubt ElderScrolls Skoda will be much different. The times of Dagerfall or Morrowind are long gone.

The more I watch it, the more I think this was the thought process behind the game:

Todd: Hey guys, I just saw the trailer for this game, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. It has dragons blowing stuff up.

Beth Dev Team: That sounds awsum! That'll be great for Oblivi.. uh.. The Elder Scrolls 5!!!11!

you might be closer to the truth then you think ... we are talking about the people here which played Halo to get some shooter experience for making Fallout 3. Or the people which say "violance is f*** funny!" - "Its Fallout! So letz have some nuclear explosions" or something like that.

maximaz said:
Basically, I share the pessimism here but the setup and the teaser so far shouldn't be to blame for it. Ripping them a new one because of this teaser is being unreasonably picky.
First of all, nice post.

As I said earlier, is not the problem in the teaser, it's the context and the "promise" of it.

Elder Scrolls have and have had very deep, coherent and rich lore. Until Todd and Co. started to build upon it. There are literally hundreds of great stories to be revisited from Morrowind alone and many of them could be used to be far more original then "dragonborn kill the dragon" or "he eventually become friend with dragon and defeat some another dragon" or some similar nonsense. It's simply too shallow and overdone however awesome they try to make it.

What could be more generic than this? Zombie and Nazis don't count. What? Evil wizards? Evil gods? Wizard-gods? Meh, we had that already... And all that, as someone have mentioned, "in generic medieval world #3". Ok, probably with snow. That's the problem for me.
About RPG (my interest) quality of the game.

It's known that customer defines quality, not supplier. Supplier is there to satisfy customer's needs. At least in normal world. So, Let's see for whom they are making this game. Who are THE customers? I think, (target audience) Oblivion and (target device) console users. And 90% of those users don't have a slightest idea what RPG really is nor do they really care, as long as they could visit every dungeon at level 3 or as long as they can make nude mod, or something similary complex...

So to conclude, they (Beth.) could use best game engine possible, they could make great battles (with more then 16! NPCs) and they could even make great game, but as far as RPG game goes, I really don't have any reason to suspect or argument to deny prediction that this game would be RPG joke again. As Oblivion was. And for a record, I liked Oblivion for what it was.

Not to mention all PC castration for a sake of unified design for X360/PS3, UI wise, AI wise... Hell, in any possible way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back