Fallout 4 coming out on November 10, free mobile spin-off out now

New Todd Howard interview

http://youtu.be/DqQqeEgWb7Q

He's admitted that they're sacrificing some player choice for story.

Well I always thought choices ARE part of the story ... at least for RPGs. Looking at their trailer I believe they sacrificed story for decoration choices. The choices in costumisation of weapons, armor and now areas seems a lot higher compared to previous games.

XBOX version is getting mods now? Just when I had decided on a PS4...

Dunno if this has been remarked upon yet but Todd Howard said they planned on bringing the feature to the PS4 at some point in the future, but it is coming to Xbone first.

Also, I'm sure Sony would allow this to happen. Unreal Tournament III on PS3 supported the use of PC mods as well as mouse/keyboard so Sony is more than happy to accomodate developers for this kind of thing.

That's good news about the mods, still leaning towardsPS4 because it looks like Morpheus will be the only console native VR experience.

Doesn't matter, I'm just glad the dog is optional. Now I hope there will be some good game-fixing mods and the story will be half as good as in NV and I might have some fun with this game if I treat it like Deus Ex mixed with Minecraft in a broken Fallout universe. I'll just play Failout 3 again to lower my expectations, first.

I'm not expecting a real Fallout until the next spin-off by Obsidian.

It's ridiculous how we hope the modders will fix the game.

Last edited:
I'll just say this much: If it doesn't have a branching storyline or some meaningful blowback from choices you make, it will feel incredibly weak in comparison to some other recent RPG titles. People want their choices and they want their choices to matter. No-one likes that you sometimes need to make a shit decision that will get someone killed in a game, but that makes the game a lot more memorable. The Mass Effects and Witchers have probably used this to best effect so far among the more mainstream games. If Bethesda has not been paying attention to these developments, that's just incredibly lazy or meek design. But we'll see when we get more info or play it.

Also, and this is not here nor there, but a post-apocalyptic wasteland is not the place where being a hero type in shining armor should be possible or even rewarding. The Fallouts have never been particularely grim (compared to something like The Road) but at least in Fallout 2 I sometimes just wasted a whole settlement because it was better for my char, so fuck those people. Remember those guys who stole your car in New Reno? In Fallout 3+ you just kill obviously bad guys because they are obviously bad guys. It seldomly carries risk. You are never forced to do something appaling because you need that bottle of water. Even NV's hardcore mode wasn't that hardcore.

The reason FO3 is grim because most of the staff played FO1 only. Not FO2. And you know how grim FO1 was.

Only few played both FO1 and FO2.

Howard also said that the dog isn't plot critical and that you don't have to have him as a companion.

Why does it need to be immortal? Simply because the lack of tactical control and stupid AI makes it difficult for NCPs to survive the twitch combat?

What peril is there? What can I lose?

The structured narrative of Mass Effect only worked because there were unavoidable losses of generally well-written, important, and developed characters. If Fallout 4 really is an open world in the mode of Skyrim, it will struggle to hold any emotional weight or consequential relationships, because the bulletproof, nukeproof companions are invulnerable and underwritten.

Howard also said that the dog isn't plot critical and that you don't have to have him as a companion.

Why does it need to be immortal? Simply because the lack of tactical control and stupid AI makes it difficult for NCPs to survive the twitch combat?

The structured narrative of Mass Effect only worked because there were unavoidable losses of generally well-written, important, and developed characters. If Fallout 4 really is an open world in the mode of Skyrim, it will struggle to hold any emotional weight or consequential relationships, because the bulletproof, nukeproof companions are invulnerable and underwritten.
But.. but.. it worked so well in New Vegas.. Ok yeah you are right.

Last try to be hopeful: Perhaps you can actually lose some companion in special, non-combat situations? Probably not..

I'll just say this much: If it doesn't have a branching storyline or some meaningful blowback from choices you make, it will feel incredibly weak in comparison to some other recent RPG titles. People want their choices and they want their choices to matter. No-one likes that you sometimes need to make a shit decision that will get someone killed in a game, but that makes the game a lot more memorable. The Mass Effects and Witchers have probably used this to best effect so far among the more mainstream games. If Bethesda has not been paying attention to these developments, that's just incredibly lazy or meek design. But we'll see when we get more info or play it.
Not so the TES crowd. In the Eldar Scrolls you don't have to make any real choices, ever. That is the very heart of Bethesda's games. You can be the Head of the Magic Guild, Thieves Guild, Fighters Guild, Assassains Guild, simultaneously, while also be a Dragonslayer Superhero, perform services for all the evil demon gods (Dreamora?), be maxed out in melee, magic, archery, et c. This is why Toddy is going on and on about "you see that x over there, you can y it"; his outlook is that the player should always be able to do absolutely everything, regardless of any choices. Including shooting your dad in the face, he won't mind at all and your relationship will be as solid as ever. As someone put it: he won't even scold you for trying to murder him. (He did walk very slowly just to annoy me, though, so he really was asking for a few bullets in the back...)

The only exceptions I can think of is the Civil War storyline in Skyrim and that vampire/vampire hunter thing in the DLC. The former didn't really change anything but the uniforms of the soldiers in the various towns, but at least it served a role-playing purpose. I'm not sure about the latter, but I think your chosen path actually made a difference.

What you say is more or less true for Oblivion and Skyrim. Morrowind though? Not so much! Morrowind had no real story choices that shaped the world like Fallout, Witcher etc. But as far as the faction goes, you could not join every faction and you could not get that easily the head of factions either. Because imagine that! They had REQUIREMENTS! In other words, if your skill level was to low, they would not improve your rank, so to advance in the fighter guild you had to become a better fighter, people described it as "grinding" in a single player RPG. But it made sense.

And the factions had rivalry. For example I remember that the mages and thiefs have been in war or something, so joining one faction would give you trouble with the other. And the moment you became the Nerevarine - some kind of jesus of Morrowind, the religous order of the Tribunal Temple would throw you out of their faction and kill you on sight.

Morrowind was in many parts a dull game, no doubts about that, I would not say that it had REAL Role Playing as far as choices goes. But it was a lot more complex than Oblivion and Skyrim ever will be.

Eh, I think it has more to do with the fact that they simply don't want people to get on their forums complaining to much.

Bethesda is making games for winners, not loosers! And in a Bethesda game, everyone can be a winner!

Last edited:
Well - this forum hasn't changed a bit. Over here Bethesda is still the devil incarnate and Todd is a talentless muppet. I hear what you're saying. At least I have to applaud you for sticking to your guns all these years.

But let's face it. Bethesda is never going to make the Fallout game you guys want, I'd be surprised. You'd be surprised. So let's stop kidding ourselves. It's not going to happen.

Did I like Fallout 3? No. I think it's stupid. But I'm willing to give Bethesda another shot at making a decent game about something that happend during/after a nuclear war. I think the name might be problem for many on this forum.... how about calling it Toddapocalypse instead.... yeah.. forget about "Fallout 4" for you guys and let's just say that Bethesda is making a game called Toddapocalypse. Perhaps then you can treat it a bit less seriously and actually enjoy it for whatever it ends up being. Just a thought.

The real shame in my mind is of course that Wasteland 2 only ended up being half as good as it could/should have been. If Wasteland 2 would have been a masterpiece, like Fallout 2, I'd wager a lot of you guys couldn't have cared less about what Bethesda and Todd are doing right now.

Alright guys! It's over, he is right. From now on will stop talking about Fallout and turning this community in a fan forum for cats.

Let's talk about cats now, I mean com on? Everyone likes cats! Right?

...I'd wager a lot of you guys couldn't have cared less about what Bethesda and Todd are doing right now.
I guess that's why we are posting on a Fallout fan-website-forum-community ... because we don't care about the franchise. Not. One. Inch.

I think most people here are realistic enough to know that we will never see the Fallout from Bethesda that deserves its name. Doesn't mean we can't or should not discuss it. The great thing about it is, that you can always ignore the stuff you don't like to read.

And to say this, I think most voices here are more on the critical rather than the "I HATE BETHESDA!" side. At least that's is my feeling.

Last edited:
Yes, that really does seem to be the way most Beth games go. In my Skyrim game, I was doing a fighter type guy and suddently I plowed through the Mage's Guild questline and become the head honcho there. Freedom is good, but if everyone can do everything the choices in character build are not really choices. I wish there will be gameplay options for at least brute force, stealth and conversation type characters, with "good" and "evil" paths, but I feel that if that was the case they would have hyped it on E3. OTOH, they divulged quite little about the story, so perhaps they are trying to do it right this time around.

I guess that's why we are posting on a Fallout fan-website-forum-community ... because we don't care about the franchise. Not. One. Inch.

I think most people here are realistic enough to know that we will never see the Fallout from Bethesda that deserves its name. Doesn't mean we can't or should not discuss it. The great thing about it is, that you can always ignore the stuff you don't like to read.

Sure - discuss all you want, I don't mind. All I'm saying is that it might be benefical for some of you guys mental health if you accept this Fallout 4 game (the Toddapocalypse game) for what it is, rather than bashing it for what it can never be.

If it wasn't called *Fallout* specifically I think you guys would be thrilled that *someone* was making a Triple-A post apocalyptic game. But because they've picked up the Fallout name... well, there seems to be a problem.

I say just forget about the Fallout name... pretend it's called something else. When the game comes out take it for what is. Imagine it's a new franchise inspired by Fallout if you will.

Back