Fallout: New Vegas OXM preview scans

Reconite said:
<blockquote>Clearly, you have a responsibility to push the series forward, but there's also nothing worse than a misguided attempt to differentiate a folow-up that only ruins what everyone loved about the original. Throw in a new developer - New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian rather than Bethesda's in-house team - and there is no doubt that a fair few Fallout fans will be more than a little concerned that this could be a recipe for nuclear disaster.</blockquote>
That slayed me, I was laughing for a good couple minutes when I read that the other day.

Killzig said:
Were they really that rare? There were more than a handful of them in Broken Hills and that's even after all the ones we killed in Fallout 1...

The vats have been out of commission for quite while for so many muties to be carelessly throwing their lives away in any case...
I think that we have to keep in mind that these guys think that Fallout 3 is Fallout so by intelligent super mutants they may simply mean mutants that can talk and are sentient beings, unlike in Fallout 3.

TwinkieGorilla said:
So you'd take Bethesda's writing staff over OXM's? :P
Bethesda's writers are stupid, OXM's are pants on head retarded.

I'm not keen on getting the vault suit from the doctor, that seems pretty stupid to me (even if you were naked) and I'd like them to get away from always putting the player in a vault suit. I really dig the look of the NCR ranger, he looks very post apocalyptic-western. I get the feeling that there will be a fair number of western-like characters in this given the screenshots, we'll see whether or not it works out well.

I think that Vault Suit thing is just because of a) PipBoy 3000 and b) Fallout is about vaults!!!

Beside this, I liked the prisoner idea from Van Buren much more. The player got a jumpsuit too, but at least it wasn't a vault suit... again.

Lexx said:
I think that Vault Suit thing is just because of a) PipBoy 3000 and b) Fallout is about vaults!!!

Beside this, I liked the prisoner idea from Van Buren much more. The player got a jumpsuit too, but at least it wasn't a vault suit... again.

Can't really blame this one on Bethesda or Obsidian, though. I mean...really...as far as the first two games are concerned Fallout is about vaults, from a certain point of view[/obi-wan]. There are certain things which I'm sure have been sort of grandfathered into the rebirth of the franchise to ensure familiarity to all of the mouth-breathers and knuckle-draggers who have, like OXM, no fucking clue what the series is actually about at all.

Lexx said:
I didn't see it make much sense in Fallout 2 either(actually the entire beginning of Fallout 2 never made much sense to me).

Yeh, Fallout 2 wasn't much better too. But somehow I got used to it and I guess I will get used to it in New Vegas too. Getting the stuff from some random dude isn't the worst idea yet. Still... imagine you wouldn't get a vault suit, imagine you would get a (Tibbet :>) prison jump suit from that doctor. THIS would have been cool, imo.

And this brings me to my next potential New Vegas mod. (Hell, two already.) Hurr durr.

Reconite said:
[*]Nightkin are back, as blue-skinned Super Mutants who've gone schizophrenic through Stealth Boy use. They attack you while cloaked, deactivating cloak at the last minute to hit you with a club
Why would they want to de-cloak to club you? Game logic failed!:ugly:

Briosafreak said:
I laughed like a little baby reading this, It's one of the most hilarious things I've ever read on a gaming mag :lol: :lol: :clap:
Stupidity is quite common this day. :smug:

zioburosky13 said:
Everyone knows that you can't attack while cloaked just like everyone knows that your shields are down when you're cloaked. Come on man, Star Trek set these rules in the 60's, where have you been?!

zioburosky13 said:
Reconite said:
[*]Nightkin are back, as blue-skinned Super Mutants who've gone schizophrenic through Stealth Boy use. They attack you while cloaked, deactivating cloak at the last minute to hit you with a club

That's probably just another example of a journalist not getting the details. I'd wager that, instead of decloaking, its simply a matter of the mutants being close enough to be visible.

UncannyGarlic said:
Everyone knows that you can't attack while cloaked just like everyone knows that your shields are down when you're cloaked. Come on man, Star Trek set these rules in the 60's, where have you been?!

Tell that to the Predator, maybe he'll smile before tearing you apart :) And seriously, having an almost invisible Super Mutant bashing you with a giant club would be a bit extreme, don't you think? They had to go easy on the player, so fighting them won't be simply annoying.

zioburosky13 said:
Reconite said:

it's called game balance. most likely they automatically de-cloak when they attack, which is the most common way to balance cloaking/stealth in games.

as for the vault suit and pip-boy, I don't mind at all. even though it's a shame if it's more important with vault suits and pip-boys than good writing in a FO game these days, they have become pretty iconic for the FO universe and while I don't necessarily want them forced on me, it'd feel a bit weird not having them there.

Yea the Dragon chaps from "Operation splodin' stuff" DLC also decloaked when they attacked you, which is a bit stupid if your a sniper standing in plain view.

Alphadrop said:
Yea the Dragon chaps from "Operation splodin' stuff" DLC also decloaked when they attacked you, which is a bit stupid if your a sniper standing in plain view.

Lol, they should make a new DLC for Fallout 3. Fallout 3: Operation splodin stuff...w/ brahmin riders

The article and their old FO3 review were not written by the same person, but hey. Don't let that stop your knee-jerk bile. Saying the word "Rybicki" makes you sound super-smart, for reals!

terebikun said:
The article and their old FO3 review were not written by the same person.

Hah, because that's the point of the Rybicki maneuver.

Did you ever read the article?

aenemic said:
as for the vault suit and pip-boy, I don't mind at all. even though it's a shame if it's more important with vault suits and pip-boys than good writing in a FO game these days, they have become pretty iconic for the FO universe and while I don't necessarily want them forced on me, it'd feel a bit weird not having them there.

It's becoming too formulaic.

There's other ways to put that stuff in the game: you could stumble upon a shipload of vault suits in an abandoned Vault, for instance, or you could snatch a PipBoy from the treasure cove of a raider clan 1/3 into the game, for instance.

Just saying.

Back