First round of Fallout 4 Reviews

Jim Sterling is sperging out about Metacritic user scores and instead of picking on reviews that say "I can't run this game! Meanies!" he picks on many that actually have legitimate beefs. Here's the link.

He has some fair points, but it'd be nice if he also did a followup showing people literally orgasming over the game with zero sort of reasoning. Saw a number people on steam giving it a thumbs up and saying it was a 10/10 with less than 2 hours playtime. Also weird shit like this:

1.3 hrs on record

Posted: November 11
haven't played it yet because of the game closing on me after a few seconds of clicking new game. i don't know why this happens but it's ruining fallout 4 for me so please, fix this
------------
Note: this was a POSITIVE review despite saying they couldn't even play the game.

--------------

Anyways, on the metabombing subject. Currently the Negative reviews are basically tied with the positive and mixed combined.

Positive+Mixed combined: 1546
Negative: 1534
PC - 4.7
PS4 - 5.5
XB1 - 5.3
Steam - 79%

The article seems very premature on Sterling's part. The reviews will balance out more when people who've played the game for longer will start adding their voices to Metacritic and other user review spots.

And as Eternal said, Fallout 4 had so much hype around it that people had decided to love it long before it came out. What's wrong with some people out there having an opposite reaction? But naturally Sterling doesn't mention them because he knows as well as they do that he let himself be lifted by the same hype.

I think Sterling's angry, and taking it out on people, because he made a bad review that people have called out for being bad, and is trying to distract from that fact.

Fallout 4 does not deserve a 9.5/10. It is not a near-perfect game. It is filled with bugs and glitches, crashes, has a poor frame rate, especially on consoles, and the writing is poor, with may people saying they were bored by the characters and story.

Jim Sterling is sperging out about Metacritic user scores and instead of picking on reviews that say "I can't run this game! Meanies!" he picks on many that actually have legitimate beefs. Here's the link.

He has some fair points, but it'd be nice if he also did a followup showing people literally orgasming over the game with zero sort of reasoning. Saw a number people on steam giving it a thumbs up and saying it was a 10/10 with less than 2 hours playtime. Also weird shit like this:

1.3 hrs on record

Posted: November 11
haven't played it yet because of the game closing on me after a few seconds of clicking new game. i don't know why this happens but it's ruining fallout 4 for me so please, fix this
------------
Note: this was a POSITIVE review despite saying they couldn't even play the game.

--------------

Anyways, on the metabombing subject. Currently the Negative reviews are basically tied with the positive and mixed combined.

Positive+Mixed combined: 1546
Negative: 1534
PC - 4.7
PS4 - 5.5
XB1 - 5.3
Steam - 79%

He has a strong point when reviews like this are demonstrably false:

"every single quest so far involved going somewhere and murdering everthing. There are no alternative paths, there is no use of skills or speech to do thing differently"

That's a total lie, hence why the user reviews can't be trusted. Many of them seem to be people that hate Bethesda and have barely played the game or played it at all. Most are extremely hyperbolic nonsense, and this doesn't discount those who have actual problems or post thoughtful reviews and don't like it, but with SO MANY being like this it's hilarious.

That's the point, he is just bringing up some dude he hates to diminish complaints about the game having a shitty story. How is that even a good point to make?

He doesn't hate David Cage, I actually listen to his podcast. He thinks like the guy is just too full of himself and needs handlers to rein him in which is exactly what they're doing with Detroit the next game.

Last edited:
A total lie? Please, point to me a quest that supports a pacifist route. And by Pacifist route I mean "Don't kill anyone" not just sparing a single dude at the end after massacring his guards.

So people complaining about bugs, glitches to the point where it floods and takes up Bethesda own forums is bias and nonsense? Funny how you call me insane when you have been here trolling for months and complaining about how we are calling out Bethesda for their shitty business practices and not delivering what they promised(8 different endings!). I am starting to wonder if you are a masochist or if your head truly is the void.

Seriously, learn to read fool. The bias and nonsense is with you guys not with people outside of here. And since when are there not 8 endings?[/QUOTE]

Then you obviously have never gone to RPG Codex. Why do you head on over there. I'm sure that they will be very welcoming to you. Also what 8 endings. Everyone has stated that there are only 2. You just each sucking on Beth tit if it makes you feel better.[/QUOTE]

No one has stated that, there is not only two. That isn't true at all.

A total lie? Please, point to me a quest that supports a pacifist route. And by Pacifist route I mean "Don't kill anyone" not just sparing a single dude at the end after massacring his guards.

In what few hours I've played the Drumlin Diner quest is completeable with speech checks, and when did I say "pacifist route"? I didn't, you're moving them goalposts again. The review says "There is no use of skills or speech to do thing differently" which is false. Nothing about a pacifist route.

Last edited:
That's the point, he is just bringing up some dude he hates to diminish complaints about the game having a shitty story. How is that even a good point to make?

Not the comments on specific comments but rather this:

"[...] the more zealous aspects of the Fallout audience is nonetheless vicious in its anger. At least, I think they’re fans. Some of them aren’t. Some of them just hate Bethesda. Even yesterday, before the game was available, some commenters were outraged that Fallout 4 was getting positive reviews like this one I wrote"

He isn't wrong. There are people here and elsewhere who simply hate bethesda regardless. There are also those who were outraged FO4 was getting positive reviews before the game was out or they even had a chance to play it themselves. There is certainly things that you could be critical of just from the stuff they've shown you know you weren't happy about, but vitriol pushed by some people simply due to positive reviews at all was certainly there.

The point of the entire article though is mostly just trolling / flame baiting and is dumb. A lot of the negative comments posted have fair points but are SEVERELY hyperbolic. The fact is that he is likely being defensive because it's a game he ranked 9.5 which people are disagreeing with vehemently.

Don't mind me, I'm just gonna go back to switching my time between replaying Katamari and getting around to Wasteland 2 Directors cut. IDGAF if FO4 tanks or not, I'll pick it up on sale when it's at minimum 50% off, and I'll be scouring nexusmods and such to see what kind of fixes and imrpovements for game are out there to make sure I enjoy my time at least somewhat.

Last edited:
"4" Endings, 3 of those endigns are exactly the same narration. Only the Institute ending has a different one. They said they would have 8 endings.

Toddyboy's sweet little lies strike again. Even if they lowballed the number in comparison to their claims with FO3, they still lied.

In what few hours I've played the Drumlin Diner quest is completeable with speech checks, and when did I say "pacifist route"? I didn't, you're moving them goalposts again. The review says "There is no use of skills or speech to do thing differently" which is false. Nothing about a pacifist route.

That one still involves shooting things. "Charisma" checks in this game are usually just placebos, most of the time the only thing they do is give you slight exp rewards or slightly more caps. When the reviewer complaints about nothing to do with Speech or barter is in reference to the fact that all quests are still about killing things, even when they are about retrieving paint for someone. They don't open any branches in quests.

Last edited:
They did not! They didn't. How could you even suggest that he or Bethesda lied?

There are actually even more than just 8 endings, if you decide to kill your son either with a laser rifle, a nuke luncher, power fist(ing), a knive ... you name it.

And we only touched the base weapons! The game has almost an unlimited amount of permutations to it's endings even!

"4" Endings, 3 of those endigns are exactly the same narration. Only the Institute ending has a different one. They said they would have 8 endings.

Toddyboy's sweet little lies strike again. Even if they lowballed the number in comparison to their claims with FO3, they still lied.

"Endings" does not mean "ending narration" alone. If you have 2 choices per, they are two different endings and ways to go with each.

If all choices result in the same ending then that's just one ending.

It also lacks the settlement endings, and that's something all the other Fallouts had (except 3 of course).

New vegas had a shorter dev time and less budget and they delivered on 6 main endings (Yesman and Legion routes have 2 variations even before taking the permutations into account)

So FO4 having only 2 ending narratons is just Inexcusable and lazy.

Last edited:
I still don't get it why you're still around ...

Do I need your permission to be here or something?

If all choices result in the same ending then that's just one ending.

It also lacks the settlement endings, and that's something all the other Fallouts had (except 3 of course).

New vegas had a shorter dev time and less budget and they delivered on 6 main endings (Yesman and Legion routes have 2 variations even before taking the permutations into account)

So FO$ having only 2 ending narratons is just Inexcusable and lazy.

How do you know there are only 2 variations at the end?

Back