Motivation

Grin

Still Mildly Glowing
Anyone here have motivation issues?

Lately I've been having trouble motivating myself to do anything. I've been struggling through my major, work, relationships.

192_motivation.gif

It's a problem really, I tell myself to do things, finish things, but I never get to it really. I just keep postponing it. Legalized weed isn't helping either to be honest.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. Very often. The only thing that helps is to actually do something, the things that normally gets me to do things are either if my dad needs help with some work, or if a friend comes over to do stuff like forging or woodwork. Lastly, I can make some pretty nice stuff with my hands if I just get around to it, so if I have a project that I know people will envy me, it will eventually get done, but it may very well take months to finish.

On the bright side, the heaviest drug I take is whisky. Never even tried smoking.

edit: really, quite a lot of people who have problem finding motivation to do stuff can also be creative, I have serious problems with doing repetitive tasks, so whenever I have tools and materials to do something creative, it can get me so sucked into it that I forget about time. If you haven't tried it yet, try picking up some form of handcraft, woodworking, forging, leatherwork, there's all sorts of neat stuff you can do if you have just basic tools and materials.

Make short breaks during work and do something lively, push-ups, practice dancing, whatever. Just move around a bit, the way you like.

I understand more than well what you are going through.

Like you I have also been postponing things that are important such as going to school, cleaning the house, but also constructive things such as going to drawing class.

When it comes to explaining to myself why I do this I put the blame on not having a good rest the previous night, having something like a cold, or else.
But the problem lies with me, and I am sick of it.

I have been going through this cycle for years now and I really want to break with it.

There are people who want to support me, and they do, but when this still happens I feel that I am abusing their support and willingness to help, being a worthless useless human being who has no right for being jealous of people who can do such wonderful things like making great drawings, writing stories, etc, because I never undertook the effort to do those things myself.

Sure, I start with them but always seem to find some convenient way to take a break.

I want this to end, and sometimes wonder if there is deep down inside some flaw I simply can not fix.

You need motivation?

What's the policy on amphetamines in your country?

On a sidenote: when the whole bloody system is collapsing, it's quite normal to experience some difficulties when trying to be all motivated.

Count me in.
Everything I start lands on my harddrive, as data trash. I wanted to record an album, now it's the third year and it's still not finished. I wanted to finish a foto series, it's still not finished. Wanted to meet that gal, still not "finished" etc. :D

The thing which helped me alot were coffee (I overdone it, my heart gets angry everytime I drink one cup of coffee now :lol: ) or St. Johns Wort.
It's just a plant, which ingredients do something, some people also use it as some kind of anti-depressiva. For me it's more working as a kick in the ass to finally finish that thing.

One thing that also helps me are deadlines.
Whenever someone says "It HAS to be finished on XX.YY" I get my ass up and end this damn thing. I can perfectly work under pressure it seems.

i had the same problem about a year ago and i started taking that st johns worts and god it works its also an anti depressant and helps with anxiety. i was told by a doctor that most people who are lazy have anxiety but in a mild form that doesn't effect you emotions like happiness but more your work ethic.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
Ravager69 said:
Make short breaks during work and do something lively, push-ups, practice dancing, whatever. Just move around a bit, the way you like.

This.

Plus anti-depressants.
I doubt that. Been there, done that. No effects. It might help some particularly if you get the right dose (See Bipolar Dissorder), but in most cases the effect is not different to placebos.

It's good to know I'm not the only one then. It appears it's a rather common problem even.

Kahgan said:
Really, quite a lot of people who have problem finding motivation to do stuff can also be creative.

I do consider myself creative, I do stand-up, and I can really losing myself in writing comedy. IF I can get myself to go and start writing, which I can't recently.

AskWazzup said:
I have the same problem. When something isn't interesting to me i just can't seem to force myself to do it.

This is part of the problem, when something does not interest me it is bloody impossible for me to do it. I just keep postponing it until I no longer have to do it, or, like you said, until it becomes a problem on its own.

But it goes beyond that, even things that I like, or things that I know would be beneficial to me are becoming chores, I actually can't put myself to do anything. Even though I know that it would improve my situation entirely.

It's frustrating. I know I'm capable of doing so much more, but I just... don't.

The Dutch Ghost said:
I have been going through this cycle for years now and I really want to break with it.

So do I, although I've had it in some extend for some time, now it's starting to get pretty bad.

The Dutch Ghost said:
There are people who want to support me, and they do, but when this still happens I feel that I am abusing their support and willingness to help, being a worthless useless human being who has no right for being jealous of people who can do such wonderful things like making great drawings, writing stories, etc, because I never undertook the effort to do those things myself.

Sure, I start with them but always seem to find some convenient way to take a break.

I want this to end, and sometimes wonder if there is deep down inside some flaw I simply can not fix.

I know, I've received support and understanding as well, but I just keep making excuses for my consistent failure, both to myself and to them, and it I'm getting sick of it, to be honest. It's not only my lack of motivation but my complete lack of self-discipline to put myself to work that's driving me insane.

alec said:
You need motivation?

What's the policy on amphetamines in your country?

You know I'm Dutch alec, you greasy Flemish bastard. :)

Anyhow, it's not at all difficult for me to go for amphetamines. But I'm still convinced that I can fix it without drugs. Not that I have a problem with drugs, not at all, but I'd consider it a "weak" solution somehow.

Treesnogger said:
The thing which helped me alot were coffee (I overdone it, my heart gets angry everytime I drink one cup of coffee now) or St. Johns Wort.
It's just a plant, which ingredients do something, some people also use it as some kind of anti-depressiva. For me it's more working as a kick in the ass to finally finish that thing.

Gotta love the caffeine, because of my habit of postponing everything, I more then often keep myself awake at 5 in the morning with a deadline 3 hours away. Took a look at that St. Johns Wort, seems promising, wouldn't hurt to try I suppose. It seems they sell it as a tea as well.

I'll give it a shot, and update if there's any progress.

Edit:
No, really, I will. :D

I know this sounds strange, but try sitting in the sun for about 15 minutes a day. If you think it's a waste of time do it while you'd normally be reading something so you're multitasking. A lot of people have problems when the sun is gone too long in the winter. Even if your indoors and fully clothed just sit near a window and roll up your sleeves. It will surprise you.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

There is no such thing as multitasking.

I myself have been feeling a lack of motivation, for quite a while actually. You just gotta try and force yourself to do things. Now motivate yourself to try to motivate yourself!

Or, there could be an underlying problem. (Depression? I don't know.)

The Vault Dweller said:
I know this sounds strange, but try sitting in the sun for about 15 minutes a day. If you think it's a waste of time do it while you'd normally be reading something so you're multitasking. A lot of people have problems when the sun is gone too long in the winter. Even if your indoors and fully clothed just sit near a window and roll up your sleeves. It will surprise you.

Sunlight as a cure for the so called winter-depression? I've heard about this before, Philips even came up with a device for the more gullible consumer (perhaps only Dutch market):

3309_newspaper-web.jpg

verevoof said:
There is no such thing as multitasking.

I myself have been feeling a lack of motivation, for quite a while actually. You just gotta try and force yourself to do things. Now motivate yourself to try to motivate yourself!

Or, there could be an underlying problem. (Depression? I don't know.)

That's the whole problem, even the motivation to motivate myself has dissipated. Anyhow, I don't think my problem lies in winter-depression or depression. I'm more then happy with my current situation (except for my lack of motivation).

I laugh, I feast, I fuck, I eat, I sleep. You get the point.

Perhaps military service back in the day wasn't so bad after all, maybe our current generation (generation X) just turned into spineless little weasels who complain about lack of motivation while actually all they need is a boot up their ass.

st johns wort is natures version of an anti-depressant.

if you take it and you feel better, grats... you just confirmed you have depression. welcome to the lowest common denominator club! try FO3, you may enjoy it.

I've always had problems with lacking motivation, ever since I was a kid. I'm one of those people with high ambitions and big dreams, but who never accomplishes anything because the motivation is just not there...

only recently have I figured out it's most likely because of a small bit of laziness and a large bit of depression.

The Vault Dweller said:

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

while sitting in the sun might cheer you up a bit, it won't really help against "winter depression". the reason people feel depressed is because of a lack of vitamin D, which the body itself creates with stimulation from sunlight. the problem is that the winter sun generally isn't close enough for the sunlight to help produce the vitamin. so it's actually pretty important to make sure you get enough vitamin D through other means during the colder months of the year. I myself am very bad at doing so and always suffer from winter depression.

this obviously doesn't apply in tropical climates.

Step number one is to stop smoking weed. Wait six months then re-evaluate. I have no moral objection; you can do what you want as far as I'm concerned, but for most people prolonged use of weed makes you lazy. Even the fact that it's habit-forming contributes, because getting into a rut with your habits can contribute to lethargy. If you're still feeling inert after getting clean, consider breaking some of your habitual behavior.

Really, though, there's no sense trying anything else until you quit smoking weed and see what happens. Good luck!

I'm pretty much the same, I wake up, play the computer, eat, sleep, repeat. I'm accomplishing nothing whatsoever. Usually when I'm attending school I cant get my shit in gear or get things done. Although at the moment I am tied up with family issues and its wearing me out.

Weed does not help.

Sport can help sometimes. At least it did it for me. But everyone needs to find what suits his personality and feelings best.

Back