New dev diary on Fallout 3 site

the robot on the far left of the page (a political clue?!) has a chinese red star emblem on its shoulder.

Well it can be another star, doesn't have to be the Chinese one.

Still the supermutants helms we saw earlier also looked Chinese to me, maybe you are onto something.

terebikun said:
I don't understand why people have problems with the cockroach. Is it really more ridiculous than a mantis? Plus, I always wondered where the cockroaches were, since after all this is the post-apocalypse and they're supposed to be the little guys who'll survive it.
No they won't. It's a popular misconception. Cockroaches are South American* and only survive in North America and elsewhere because they feed on human refuse. No humans = no cockroaches. Mosquitoes, fleas, rats, and jellyfish are the real survivors. Even mantids would be around after cockroaches.

But as far a perpetrating a misinformed assumption, yeah it's spot on. It's still the least displeasing thing on that page.

*edit: ok, wife just told me that that's only true of the "American Cockroach" and that there are hundreds of species all over the world. It's nice being married to a biologist who tells you when you've made a fool of yourself.

How is that an orc? You know what an orc is, right? The real ones, not those fake tolkien ones, much less peterson's orcs...

Briosafreak said:
the robot on the far left of the page (a political clue?!) has a chinese red star emblem on its shoulder.

Well it can be another star, doesn't have to be the Chinese one.

Still the supermutants helms we saw earlier also looked Chinese to me, maybe you are onto something.

You ninja-quoting bastard! I edited that out because the US had some WW2-era star emblems that were similar, as did Russia, and who knows what the artist is doing there. It'd help explain why some of the robots are anthropomorphic and the others are more like the originals in Fallout if it was Chinese, though.

That said I love the Gort-eyed dude on the right. I hope he's one of the ones you can hack and send off to kick ass in your stead.

Morbus said:
How is that an orc? You know what an orc is, right? The real ones, not those fake tolkien ones, much less peterson's orcs...

Do you know what an Orc is, Morbus?

Wow! Talk about a lack of consistency. Some of the concept is perfect but the rest is awful. I still despise the direction being taken with the supermutants, however inevitable it was.

As with everyone else, I don't really like the different direction they went with the supermutants.

But, I actually think that most of everything else is pretty good.

I disagree with a lot of the opinions in here about the Brahmin. I think the added detail on the brahmin is very nice, and fitting with the setting. They look more ragged and sickly than you get to see in the Fallout sprites, but I think that's a good thing. I also think the mole rat, right above it, is spot on.

The 2 bipedal humanoid robots, on the far left and far right, I see why people don't like, but the rest of the robots I think look excellent. And I actually don't personally mind the humanoid robot on the far left, though that may be for personal reasons as it reminds me of various illustrations of the robot from Ted Hughes' "The Iron Man". While 60's inspired, rather than true Atomic Age, it's one of my favorite children's stories and I just like the character.

Anyway, Architecture, Machinery and Clothing is all especially nice. The Chick in the Leather Armour is probably my favorite piece of the whole series.

Bodybag said:
Morbus said:

A mythical otherworldly creature from Nordic (Gaelic?) mythology.

Morbus said:
Bodybag said:
Morbus said:

A mythical otherworldly creature from Nordic (Gaelic?) mythology.

Oh, you mean a real orc. Gotcha. Incidentally:

Similar words of distinct origin
The use of the word "orc" in any of its monstrous senses should not be confused with various other words that have a superficial resemblance, including Gaelic orc (a Goidelic form of Proto-Indo-European *porkos "young pig") and Norse ørkn meaning "seal" [2].

Fantasy orcs = Tolkien's interpretation 99 times out of 100. Do you even have a point here, or are you just orcing me?.

i liked some of this stuff, especially the critters.. the brahmin looked like it was going to starve to death and the radscorpion looked mean. wtf is with lobster boy though? he looks like a stand in for a power rangers villain of the week.

i didn't really care for the fashion section so much. it looked like they were trying too hard to me, and i really hope that everyone in the game doesn't look like the village idiot. everything in that image displeases me except for the chick in leather armor and the guy with all the pockets and gear who looks like he was almost in stalker.

didn't really like the orcs either. but that's nothing new.

Bodybag said:
How is that not an orc?

Is the Incredible Hulk an orc? Because really, he's more akin to Fallout's super mutants than most current renditions of orcs, like the LotR movies, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, etc, who all look A LOT like Bethesda's design.

That said, there are more cartoony depictions of orcs out there (picture Warcraft orcs) which will inevitably resemble super mutants - both are strong, jut-jawed humanoid creatures with green skin. But even those tend to have a feral quality, as well as sharp protruding teeth or maybe claw-like nails, that are missing in super mutants, who are simply goofy mutated humans.

Seymour the spore plant said:
Bodybag said:
How is that not an orc?

Is the Incredible Hulk an orc? Because really, he's more akin to Fallout's super mutants than most current renditions of orcs, like the LotR movies, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, etc, who all look A LOT like Bethesda's design.

That said, there are more cartoony depictions of orcs out there (picture Warcraft orcs) which will inevitably resemble super mutants - both are strong, large humanoid creatures with green skin. But even those tend to have a feral quality, usually sharp protruding teeth or maybe claw-like nails.

That pic of Marcus looks way more like an orc than he does the friggin' Hulk, who, COINCIDENTALLY, favors the F3 Super Mutants a lot more than the first 2 Fallout versions:

the_incredible_hulk_image__2_.jpg

One thing I can say for certain about the concept art: at least we know what the loading screens are going to look like. Fuck.

Back on topic:

As far as the images are concerned I like most of them. I'll go ahead and say I even like the centaur design...a lot. One thing I REALLY dislike though is Robert DeNiro playing the Super Mutants.

deniromutantpg4.jpg

What's the fuckin' deal?

Yellow said:
Wikipedia disagrees that orcs are not a part of fallout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc

Yeah, once you get over the holy gospel aspect of canon you see that pretty much every RPG shares some fantasy analogues. SM= orcs, ghouls = zombies, stimpacks = healing potions, ect.

Giant rats are pretty much universal, though.

oh cool! you guys are arguing about orcs! :roll:

Hey look, we're only 5 pages in this discussion before you notice enough to roll your eyes. Hey guy, this is important stuff!

Bodybag said:

Apparently it's totally not a big, tough green guy with a prominent lower jaw. If people didn't know this was a Fallout site and all they saw was the big mutant up there, come on, how many people wouldn't confuse it for a Warhammer 40,000 space ork fansite?

Mettle said:
Just noticed, why does the radscorpion have 8 legs? Don't remember then having that in the previous games.

Well, they did. At least I remember they did. That, and they're arachnids, so it's natural for them to have 8 legs.

In fantasy settings there are usually only two major types of orcs: 1) The bulldog-shaped face orc (which may or may not have a pig nose and and green skin) ; 2) the strong human-looking face (chiseled jaw and cheek bones) ; and 3) the creepy but weak human-looking face (the orc urchin as it could be called has a face that borrows features from the creepy old man archetype - possibly including a long nose, wrinkles, etc.).

The supermutants from Fallout 1 & 2 borrow elements from the first two groups but are fundamentally different: they don't have too many or too protruding sharp teeth, large mouth and jaw, and all facial features seem human except for the thick green skin, aforementioned mouth and jaw. I think the picture shown above of the Hulk reminds me more of Harry's face than any of the concept art or screen shots seen thus far.

And I want to restate that I think most of the Diablo-esque comments regarding the Deathclaw wouldn't have been made if the artist had given it a big toothy smile.

Back