New Fallout 3 concept art

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, May 22, 2007.

1. Serge 13

Serge 13 Cranium Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    looks okay !
    much better then the first 2 artworks .

2. Endless Void

Endless Void It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 10, 2005
    Well... I actually liked the general feel of this concept art... It's now beginning to feel like Fallout apart from the guys on the picture... They somehow feel like Tactics... And beside the Junktown atmosphere am I the only one feeling that somehow this concept art is overcrowded? I didn't like the previous concept art for the reason of being overcrowded too... There're just too many junks and ruins which somehow wounds the desolate wasteland feel of Fallout... Still it's getting better though... But not enough to make me feel optimistic about FO3...

3. Vault 69er

Vault 69er Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 3, 2007
    About the guys in the pic.. I wouldn't worry about it too much. My theory is that these pics were thrown together a few days before being posted. Maybe a couple of weeks at the most. (To me it looks like they grabbed some of the staff at Bethesda, made them put on some old costumes and took a pic).
    I predicted the content of this pic after all, it follows the pattern of direct responses to general fan outcries.

4. Sorrow

Sorrow So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Feb 9, 2006
    Well, this whole picture just screams Tactics to me.

No. There are really to many things on this picture.

Heh, I wouldn't be suprised if they were painted over a photo.

5. I_eat_supermutants

I_eat_supermutants Vault Senior Citizen

Feb 5, 2007
    I don't know, seems closterphobic.
    Far too much junk. If the people are suppose to be the focus then there is no focus.
    After looking for a while, it seems you're suppose to focus on the dead soldier/power armor guy.
    I'm prolly just looking to much into it I think.

6. wamingo

wamingo First time out of the vault

May 20, 2003
    I wouldn't be suprised if the biggest jump FO3 will make (that FO fans will complain about) is going photoreal. Though I might be assuming a bit too much now.

Still, Fallout is rather cartoony. Compare with stalker for instance.
    Can Fallout be captured in a more photorealistic environment?

I don't follow the forums much, so perhaps it's been asked and answered.. If it has just say yes and I'll go hunting instead :)

7. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    Given the fact that is customary to fix stuff Bethesda breaks, I tried it too:

8. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Not bad, FeelTheRads. Nice feel. Too bad about the "Brown = real" theme going there.

Anyway, some analysis. Please help me expand, people:

9. Sorrow

Sorrow So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Feb 9, 2006
    It's hard to say if Fallout was cartoony because of limited technology (256 colours) or because of stylistics.
    Some things like some of character models suggest the first other like Fallout comics and blue cave walls suggest the second.

10. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    Overlay of the Satellite globe sign.

11. FeelTheRads

Sep 15, 2004
    So wait... some of those are from L.A. and some from NY? What the hell are they doing together? Those naughty bombs, throwing things around like that.

Really, was there in Fallout, anywhere a symbol taken directly from the real world? I'm pretty sure there wasn't, but I might be wrong.
    But anyway, my point is they should make their own symbols in Fallout's style, not take them from the real world. It breaks the atmosphere, I think.

12. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
  13. radnan

radnan A Smooth-Skin

Dec 1, 2006
    wow great work - again i'm not doubting the skill but when the sources are this visible i feel more and more that it devaluates the piece :)

random rant:
    lol - this could be the concept art for a town constructed by a madman who toured around the countrie collecting googie pieces of signage and architecture and reuniting them into the googienheim :P / also raider base....

14. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Mar 18, 2004
    Ja, I'm working on it now.

15. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Heh. This dude loves to copy paste.

The shame!

16. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
    Can I use that for the banner of my blog? It's quite excellent, and I feel I should move away from the references of past games, this is going to be so different.

17. Bagge

Bagge First time out of the vault

May 5, 2007

The big dead guy is definately wearing a gas mask of some sorts. Also he is friggin' huge!

18. FeelTheRads

Sep 15, 2004
    What what what?!

It's no better than the Vault Dweller one I think, but sure, go ahead.

Also, I took a quick look in your blog, and saw that bit about Ashley Chang wishing StarCraft in fist-person. Bwahaha... freakin' awesome.

19. Silencer

Silencer Night Watchman Staff Member Admin

Nov 7, 2003
    Much Chaos in that, and they could to w/o the blokes, but I adore the name "Paradise Falls"

20. wamingo

wamingo First time out of the vault

May 20, 2003
    Does it matter though?
    Do you think people would think differently if it was meant to be photoreal when fo1/2 were so cartoony?