Obsidian Announcement on 6th of December

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Hassknecht, Nov 29, 2018.

1. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    I got the opposite impression from the video. Clearly seems to be some extra damage from shooting heads and weak spots on non-human enemies.
    With the bullet-time on top, the game is probably gonna be pretty easy on PC though...

2. Rheios

Rheios Mr. House's Employee of the Apocalypse

Oct 22, 2018
    Having the rating doesn't mean the game's targeted at that audience specifically. It just means nobody younger should buy it. Adult games don't have to be a continuous cycle of rape, murder, and sex that cranks that number up to be 18+. It just has to present you with the choices and consequences for a world where adult things could happen. PEGI hardly works for games, as is, let alone your argument.

There will probably be plenty of reasons to harp on 'The Outer World' (find me a game unworthy of criticism and it probably just isn't worth the investment of the review) and it's not like everyone's singing it's praises so much as pleased that it looks like it holding the title of 'RPG' isn't a catastrophic joke and hoping that as more gets revealed it improves. Wary hope seems to be the order of the day, so I'm not quite certain why you seem to be taking the 'high horse' stance. Don't get me wrong, negativity is usually a good go to - at the very least you only get proved wrong about the enjoyable things - but I'm also not sure I'd base any arrogance off it.

----

Yeah, and headshots seemed to stagger the sniper he hit.
    The concept of immortal companions is kindof concerning but that may just be a base game setting. If it's toggleable, or if there's relational penalties for letting them drop, it's probably not such an issue.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  3. nkchan16

nkchan16 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 27, 2016
    Thing is, it's those things what makes an "adult game", those ARE the "adult things" you talk about, which may be "harmful" for a younger audience. Age ratings are never given for the "level of intelligence" required to play the game or anything like that. They are purely based on what may be harmful for the underage.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. BigGuyCIA

BigGuyCIA Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Oct 26, 2016
    So the gameplay looked good and I really liked it. Graphically it seems to have some cel-shading but not as obvious as Breath of the Wild or Borderlands. They're not pulling any punches with this and it appears to literally be a spiritual successor to New Vegas, but this time with Space Cowboys and an engine that doesn't make you wish for a nuclear winter.

I am a sucker for Westerns so I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 7
  5. Big No

Big No Watch as I open and close this door

Oct 28, 2014
    Would anyone be mad if I say that the environment gives me No Man's Sky vibes?

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  6. mef

mef Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Dec 29, 2014
    obviously. but it still doesn't work as it should. when a human takes several headshots from a handgun to be killed, that may work in isometric view, but totally breaks the illusion in fpp

7. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    I got that No Man's Sky vibe from the initial music of the trailer. But the colours also bring up that feeling, I guess.

8. Squadcar

Squadcar I'm spinning

Jun 1, 2018
    I'm hopeful for this game but skeptical as always. I think between the lack of faith with Bethesda now due to 76 and the attraction of OG Fallout and devs of Fallout New Vegas, they will compete with Starfield very well even to the mainstream audiences.

I agree, it's obviously an action-RPG but yet it deserves that title more than 4 ever did. I don't mind a good action-RPG at all, they sell to a bigger audience than an isometric cRPG does unfortunately but hey, as long as it's good.

Also, fuck romance options. They're cringey or pointless 99% of the time.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 6
  9. Sublime

Sublime It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 5, 2018
    The creatures too, I think

10. nkchan16

Jul 27, 2016
    Romance is pointless? As if the other things you do in a video game somehow aren't.

11. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Dec 6, 2016
    Femshep x Kaidan Alenko is actually good. But yeah, fuck this things.

I read lots of articles today and they are put lots of attention to this fear/flaws system.

Does looks okay, but not so much imho. seems very summarized to stats penalties and that is it. cool, but nothing that will fill my eyes.

12. Big No

Big No Watch as I open and close this door

Oct 28, 2014
    Pretty much. I think one of the issues with romance options in RPG's is that none ever really feel genuine. If the player character was a pre-established one with personality, then it can be easier to write a love interest for them. An RPG character you need to create however has the obstacle of being just that: a character you created. Writer's need to make educated guesses on how to develop the love interests for the PC without messing up the roleplay and it's not like they have unlimited funds to make as many deep love interests they want. Also with an RPG like Fallout with text boxes, it's kinda awkward having the love interest talk to you if an "interested" way while you're just selecting sentences.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  13. Cobra Commander

Dec 6, 2016
    I'm not the ones who keep making memes, but what a hell, take me only one minute

• [Rad] [Rad] x 10
  14. CerberusGate

CerberusGate I should save my game in a whole new slot

Jun 6, 2016
    Well, the gameplay reminds a bit of Fallout 4 except it's not on Bethesda's worthless engine. I guess Tim and Leonard took inspiration from 4 in a way (hopefully the game schools 4 on this kind of game).

Great to see that silent protagonists, dialogue lists and skill checks (I know what I'll be putting points into) are in the game. The Flaws mechanic also seems like a neat RP feature but more details on this will be nice.

As for the no romance thing, I'm okay with that. It is annoying whenever a game claims you can romance anyone of any gender only to then turn that romance into a shallow token romance of little meaning (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TokenRomance). Might as well avoid the pitfall of making shallow token romances by not doing so at all.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game now.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  15. Cobra Commander

Dec 6, 2016
    Lies?

16. CerberusGate

CerberusGate I should save my game in a whole new slot

Jun 6, 2016
    What else? Aside from intimidation...

Come to think of it, I could make a Todd Howard character in this game.

Put all points into Lies! :revolution:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
  17. Cobra Commander

Dec 6, 2016
    and charisma (come on, we can´t deny that. that guy sells ice to Eskimos)

18. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Vault Fossil

Jun 15, 2015
    Same. I am a sucker for Westerns and I am cautiously optimistic about this game. This is definitely the game I am looking forward to most in 2019.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  19. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Journos are referring to six main attributes with 0-100 points range, and thirty perks - one perk for every 20 points you put in one of the main attributes.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 7
  20. nkchan16

Jul 27, 2016
    Wait, that almost sounds like Fallout 76.