Poster/trailer for upcoming sci-fi movie Oblivion

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Peripheral to our interests, but an official trailer is out for the sci-fi movie Oblivion.<blockquote>Oblivion is an original and groundbreaking cinematic event from the director of TRON: Legacy and the producer of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. On a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one man’s confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind.

Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying threat known as the Scavs, Jack’s mission is nearly complete.</blockquote>There is also this movie poster, done by Andrée Wallin, who we know from his work on Wasteland 2.

<center></center>

2. Bewitched

Bewitched aka Vault_13

Jun 13, 2006
    I'm trying to figure out if it is a postapocalyptic movie or not.

3. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    From that description it sounds like it. Actually, it sounds like a serious version of Wall-E, in that sense. An earth abandoned by humans, Wall-E has cleaner bots left, this movie has a "repairman" left, but in either case it's an abandoned, empty earth. Maybe not technically post-apocalyptic because there's probably humans out in space, but the setting itself sounds post-apoc.

4. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Don't watch the trailer, if you want to enjoy the movie. It spoils all the major plot twists.

5. donperkan

donperkan Vault Dweller

Aug 4, 2011
    Ok, i didn't watch it.

6. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    I'm only looking at the movie poster, and this is stuff I dream of. It looks truly, daringly distant, beyond just a century or two.

7. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    Beautifully put. I think the same.

Sincerely,
    The Vault Dweller

8. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Well, I would be excited, but I watched Tron Legacy and Rise of the Planet of the apes, so....

9. UnidentifiedFlyingTard

UnidentifiedFlyingTard Vault Fossil

Mar 12, 2009
    I hear nothing but good things about Rise of the Planet of the apes.

Tron Legacy wasn't very good, but visually it was fantasic, as was the music.

10. zioburosky13

zioburosky13 Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 24, 2004
    I don't know why...but for some reason, it feels like Command and Conquer the movie.

11. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    The props look very cool (the waterfall etc) but Tom Cruise... :lol:

12. mobucks

mobucks As a goof Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Tom Cruise is a pretty great actor if you ask me. Even his action roles are well played. Plus he does most of his own stunts I think.

This looks pretty cool judging by the poster.

Also: Faye Valentine wants her space fighter back.

13. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    Really nice looking poster. Curious, but I'm not going to watch the trailer for spoilers.

14. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah, his scientology stuff is lol, but as actor I still like him quite a lot.

15. clercqer

clercqer Senator oTO Orderite

Feb 14, 2005
    Pretty much this. I've got a soft spot for visualisations of post-apocalyptic building being reclaimed by nature. Reminds me of the raging boner I had in the beginning of I Am Legend.

Then the movie farted in my face and I was left with a bad taste in my mouth and a flaccid penis.

16. jfreund

jfreund First time out of the vault

Jan 31, 2007
    I saw a commercial for this last night. It wasn't even the full trailer - it was a commercial to get people to go online to watch the trailer. Based on nothing more than that commercial and the news post here on NMA, my prediction is this:

[spoiler:6de999a83e]The supposedly extraterrestrial "Scavs" are actually a human conspiracy designed to drain the earth of resources and leave the enemies of those in power stranded on a dead world.[/spoiler:6de999a83e]

17. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    Yeah. I really don't have much of any high expectations of this movie, though the visuals look neat. But Wallin did a hell of a job on that poster!

18. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    After Stauffenberg, no doubt.

19. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    urgh, you like Stauffenberg? Well ... what ever. I still like you :p

anyway, for a moment I thought Oblivion, like Bethesda Oblivion.

But this here sounds neat.

20. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    btw, After Earth has some similar concepts

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06KT2nzNSSw[/youtube]

And looks like it might be horrible. M. Night Shyamalan baby, consistently awful. Earth being hostile, taken back over by nature, not really a lot to show it was once earth, really. Looks more like an alien world.