Poster/trailer for upcoming sci-fi movie Oblivion

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Peripheral to our interests, but an official trailer is out for the sci-fi movie Oblivion.<blockquote>Oblivion is an original and groundbreaking cinematic event from the director of TRON: Legacy and the producer of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. On a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one man’s confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind.

Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying threat known as the Scavs, Jack’s mission is nearly complete.</blockquote>There is also this movie poster, done by Andrée Wallin, who we know from his work on Wasteland 2.

<center></center>

From that description it sounds like it. Actually, it sounds like a serious version of Wall-E, in that sense. An earth abandoned by humans, Wall-E has cleaner bots left, this movie has a "repairman" left, but in either case it's an abandoned, empty earth. Maybe not technically post-apocalyptic because there's probably humans out in space, but the setting itself sounds post-apoc.

Don't watch the trailer, if you want to enjoy the movie. It spoils all the major plot twists.

I'm only looking at the movie poster, and this is stuff I dream of. It looks truly, daringly distant, beyond just a century or two.

zegh8578 said:
I'm only looking at the movie poster, and this is stuff I dream of. It looks truly, daringly distant, beyond just a century or two.

Beautifully put. I think the same.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Well, I would be excited, but I watched Tron Legacy and Rise of the Planet of the apes, so....

Tom Cruise is a pretty great actor if you ask me. Even his action roles are well played. Plus he does most of his own stunts I think.

This looks pretty cool judging by the poster.

Also: Faye Valentine wants her space fighter back.

Really nice looking poster. Curious, but I'm not going to watch the trailer for spoilers.

mobucks said:
Tom Cruise is a pretty great actor if you ask me. Even his action roles are well played. Plus he does most of his own stunts I think.

Yeah, his scientology stuff is lol, but as actor I still like him quite a lot.

alec said:
Really nice looking poster. Curious, but I'm not going to watch the trailer for spoilers.

Pretty much this. I've got a soft spot for visualisations of post-apocalyptic building being reclaimed by nature. Reminds me of the raging boner I had in the beginning of I Am Legend.

Then the movie farted in my face and I was left with a bad taste in my mouth and a flaccid penis.

I saw a commercial for this last night. It wasn't even the full trailer - it was a commercial to get people to go online to watch the trailer. Based on nothing more than that commercial and the news post here on NMA, my prediction is this:

[spoiler:6de999a83e]The supposedly extraterrestrial "Scavs" are actually a human conspiracy designed to drain the earth of resources and leave the enemies of those in power stranded on a dead world.[/spoiler:6de999a83e]

The Vault Dweller said:
zegh8578 said:
Beautifully put. I think the same.

Yeah. I really don't have much of any high expectations of this movie, though the visuals look neat. But Wallin did a hell of a job on that poster!

urgh, you like Stauffenberg? Well ... what ever. I still like you :p

anyway, for a moment I thought Oblivion, like Bethesda Oblivion.

But this here sounds neat.

btw, After Earth has some similar concepts

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06KT2nzNSSw[/youtube]

And looks like it might be horrible. M. Night Shyamalan baby, consistently awful. Earth being hostile, taken back over by nature, not really a lot to show it was once earth, really. Looks more like an alien world.

Back