Say something positive about the USA

Sometimes I ask my yank friends, how do they feel living in US? Do you feel like you're not in your ancestral home place? :D You got a lot of places which are not that old really over there. Or when you visit your ancestral home lands in Europe or where ever, do you get like a special feeling? What's your special connection place on this planet? :D
My moms family is Scots and English and my dads family is English and German. We don’t really think about Europe being a homeland nor do we feel the same about states we have historically lived in. My family has moved across the USA several times in the last few generations - picture moving from the Ukraine to southern England then to the Swiss alps and then to southern Morocco and then to southern Germany. Moving around the USA is common and the geography and climate is really varied. The USA is our homeland. Except for Arkansas. Fuck them.

America has given the world a lot, in terms of charity, assistance, technology, inspiration, culture, social philosophy. Shout me down if you want, keep your blinders on. But it's true. I'm more leftist-- not liberal, leftist-- than most of my countrymen and well aware of our abuses, iniquities, and atrocities, and I do what little I can to help right the ship. But those (numerous, numerous) things don't negate the good we've done and that which is good and beautiful to be found here, any more than that good could ever cancel out the evil.

We're... complicated. And with some of our states equaling entire countries in size and output, each with its own ways and culture, it's a feat of determined ignorance to treat us as a monolith and write us off, just as it would be to shit on all the people of, say, North Korea, Russia, Israel, or Iran for the actions of THEIR governments and the broken systems that emplaced them.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with Yamu, except of course when it comes to Iran, which is one of the shittiest countries in the world and home to some of the shittiest people in the world.
No need to drag Russia, North Korea or Israel into this discussion. Perfectly beautiful nations, especially Israel.

I'm not sure if charity is the thing you want to put on the list when looking at US virtues. Bill Gates handing out free Windows subscriptions to poor African schools isn't real charity btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_development_aid_country_donors

I'd like to know, how has US helped my country, Finland? US prevented Finland from developing deep sea submersibles because, yea why? It has now become a very lucrative business. A US company acquired Finnish cell phone maker Nokia and then shittified the company and then quit it entirely, destroying the valuable brand. Thanks USA!

Edit. but to stay on a positive note some parts of US has nice weather.

Last edited:
Perfectly beautiful nations, especially Israel.
41a3e82dfa15a30cc74d672556112fbe.jpg

If I remember right military service is also mandatory for females in Israel. Yup. I was right. (...) and two years for women (with some roles that requiring an additional eight months of service) : Source Wiki.

Russian literature is amazing and I’m willing to ironically forgive them for Putin, considering that they also produced Tolstoy.

Russian literature is amazing and I’m willing to ironically forgive them for Putin, considering that they also produced Tolstoy.
What did you say about Putin, comrade? You should know Vladimir Putin is a strong Russian man and a great leader! Truly he is the best and most qualified man to lead the USS- I mean Russia!
upload_2020-1-19_19-7-20.jpeg

We're... complicated. And with some of our states equaling entire countries in size and output, each with its own ways and culture, it's a feat of determined ignorance to treat us as a monolith and write us off, just as it would be to shit on all the people of, say, North Korea, Russia, Israel, or Iran for the actions of THEIR governments and the broken systems that emplaced them.

Oh fucking please. Why shouldn't the whole of America be dragged? It's the same as anywhere else. It doesn't matter what the 'losers' say or think or bleat about. They lost and the 'winners' went on to do their ilk. I don't know of a single nation otherwise. The Brits get dragged for the Empire. The Russians for the Soviet state and more modernly the dealings of Putin. The French for their treatment of the Roma, of Immigrants, FrancAfrique, whatever, you can drag every nation, even Iceland and Malta.

The governments and systems aren't 'broken'. We're just not in some fantasy land where you can back off and say 'Well I didn't vote/support Bush/Obama/Whateverevilthing' here, some Panarchy.

It doesn't matter if you marched against the Iraq War, all 1 million of you or whatever, the other 200 million said yes. 17 years later you can't just say 'woopsie we did an oopsie' like that'll clear it up. You have to actually DO something about it, even if it's just running away from the region with your tail between your legs and never looking back.

And to actually do something to praise, you actually have to have your side and ethos and plan *win* and then, well, make good. Because honestly just saying 'we do good to' does jack shit but make your feelings warm, it does nothing for the dead and wounded or any justice in real life. (And let's be honest, the most the US will ever do is go 'hey, want some aid money? Sorrrrryyyy!')

Maybe that's what you get for allying with Nazi Germany.

Actually it was because we were too close to the Communist Soviets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_(submersible)

Those Mir subs were made in Finland but US said that Finland should stop making them because they were too good, the Soviet commies could use them to get their grubby commie hands on the US listening bouys which are at the bottom of the ocean to monitor sub traffic. James Cameron used those subs in the movie Titanic. CIA destroyed the Finnish company that made those subs.

https://translate.google.fi/translate?hl=fi&sl=fi&tl=en&u=https://www.tekniikkatalous.fi/uutiset/cia-tuhosi-rauma-repolan-parhaan-bisneksen/71b5eb64-e03d-3246-8276-a4ba7e844415

Back