The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

I wanna see "The Room", that epically bad etc, but I can never be arsed to actually try to find it. It doesn't quite seem to deserve that effort.

That second point does in fact bother me, like, why include man made concepts and things into what should be scientific abstracts. Like randomly saying that a lighthouse is the universal constant of the multiverse or something.

Being 3 hours is not that much of an issue, I like watching long movies.

That second point does in fact bother me, like, why include man made concepts and things into what should be scientific abstracts. Like randomly saying that a lighthouse is the universal constant of the multiverse or something.
Yeah, it's a problem. Most or at least some moviegoers seem to buy into it big-time, though.

I, of course, must be a cynical a-hole. :grin:

Wow, crazy! Congratulations. It's the right way to see a movie, really.

Yeah, it is. Thanks.

I wish I could see some of my favorite films that way, but yeah...

Yeah, it's a problem. Most or at least some moviegoers seem to buy into it big-time, though.

I, of course, must be a cynical a-hole. :grin:

That was one of those cringe-worthy moments for me, at least the way the whole "love" message was delivered, but I was sort of willing to overlook it. I guess its because there's a scarcity of solid SF films coming from Hollywood in recent years, at least as far as I know, and this one did plenty of things right in my book.
In any case, if they chose to deliver the "love" thing in a more subtle way, it would've been lot better.

Last edited:
Hollywood movies love to inject this dumb idea that "love" is somehow a tangible force in the universe. I'm utterly bored by movie "scientists" spouting this blather. Bah again.
Yahtzee said it best when he was criticizing a game for focusing heavily on the romantic pairing between two characters because it was an American trope. He likened it to watching a film where every 10 minutes the scene just stops and everyone starts dancing a ho down. Wouldn't that be jarring and strange and totally not fit the pacing of the rest of the story? EXACTLY! So take it out!

Or something like that... XD

It is a tired trope that I wish people would finally get over. I mean, when you see a guy and a girl awkwardly standing together, sort of mumbling about nothing in particular, and often repeating, "So, yeah..." to one another, and they're of that hormonal age, it's a pretty universal constant that the guy wants in her pants, and they just can't seem to find a way to get to that point. But EVERY story ever told, all the time, and always at the center of the story? Ugh. Just so tiring.

Yahtzee said it best when he was criticizing a game for focusing heavily on the romantic pairing between two characters because it was an American trope.
It's definitely a Hollywood trope. It can be done well, but it seems really out of place in a semi-serious sci-fi movie. I mean, how many times have you ever seen a real astrophysicist start talking about love as a real material force in the universe, or how just because we can't measure it doesn't mean it's not real? Hollywood movie astrophysicists do that with irritating regularity.

It always reminds me of the ending to Krull, which is the best "worst ending to a movie" IMO: the love between a guy and his princess girlfriend becomes a beam weapon that destroys the bad guy. So funny. Oops, I almost spoiled the ending of Krull. :)

Another annoying archetype is the reluctant hero who only reacts to other people's plans and just gets pushed around, with no initiative of his own because that somehow makes him more "heroic", altho that's more present in videogames.

It makes him more hero material because he's less likely to abuse the power he gains on his quest for selfish reasons.

It's a fine concept, however I think most agitation comes from SHITTY WRITING.

It makes him more hero material because he's less likely to abuse the power he gains on his quest for selfish reasons.

It's a fine concept, however I think most agitation comes from SHITTY WRITING.
Nothing to add, really. Just tons of "THIS ^" in spades. =)

Give me some philosophical rant whereby you tell me love can be quantified, and pulled off I can believe it. Give me a character who strays from the norm and follows his own sense of justices, and done well I'll bite. But I don't care what ideas you give me, or how creative the plot might be, if the writing and the acting just repulses me, there's nothing you can add to that hook to grab me.

Last edited:
I wanna see "The Room", that epically bad etc, but I can never be arsed to actually try to find it. It doesn't quite seem to deserve that effort.
My advice? Don't.

Oh, come on: that movie must be hilarious. I've only seen YouTube clips of The Room, but I sure as hell wouldn't say no to it. Must be fun with a joint or two.

Apparently, one of the lead actors in The Room, Greg Sestero, is working together with ... Zoe Quinn (Gamergate) on an interactive movie. Ha.

Last edited:
Saw Interstellar in 70mm IMAX (or so the ticket said) and honesty can't decide if I liked it. Nolan can make picking your nose look urgent and intense but seems to be in a hurry when it comes to important dialogue and major ideas. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he needs a good writer to revise his work.

What I'm really starting to dislike is that you can't say shit about this movie. Every answer on RT is "there were actual scientists overseeing the movie to make sure everything is accurate, dumbass." I asked why the black hole looked the way it did and it apparently "was created using real equations" so there. What? I especially like the trivia entry on IMDB which says that the plot is based on Einstein's famous equation. Yeah, how exactly and isn't every movie? Shit like this pisses me off.

That may be true for Interstellar, but in my opinion Inception, The Prestige and Memento didn't really have any big writing problems.

What I'm really starting to dislike is that you can't say shit about this movie. Every answer on RT is "there were actual scientists overseeing the movie to make sure everything is accurate, dumbass." I asked why the black hole looked the way it did and it apparently "was created using real equations" so there. What? I especially like the trivia entry on IMDB which says that the plot is based on Einstein's famous equation. Yeah, how exactly and isn't every movie? Shit like this pisses me off.

Actually, there are several inaccuracies in the film. I guess scientists behind it gave the director a bit of liberty there. There's plenty of "fiction" in that film, more than "science", probably, but comparing it to the many big budget "science fiction" films of the previous decade (or even more), this one comes close to "hard" science fiction (too many quotes in this sentence, that can't be right).

Nolan has very ardent and vocal fanboys that defend his every move, like Ken Levine, but with some actual talent.

Yeah, I feel like that tarnishes the name of his movies. The "It's so deep!" crowd made sure the internet hates Inception.

I liked Inception and Memento (haven't seen the prestige, but I hate his Batman movies) I lked them a lot, but then you see people trying to feel smart because they "got" the plot of Inception. Is it just me or, layering aside, the plot of that movie was pretty straightforward?

Memento is a top-notch film for me, I loved every minute of it. It's been a while since I've seen it, though, details are cloudy in my mind. I ought to rewatch it.

Inception on the other hand...It's true, and I have to admit it, the "It's so deep!" crowd didn't make me hate the film, far from it, but it did certainly contribute to me not having the best opinion of it (which is unfortunate, and I hate that it has happened - it's one of the reasons why I try to distance myself completely from the public opinion - I'd much rather take the opinion of a trustworthy individual).
The movie itself was a solid one, I can't say that I didn't enjoy it - but in a way I feel that some of its segments could have been handled better.

Last edited:
Back