The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Django Unchained for me was a bit of a dissapointment because it was played kinda straight, although in Tarantino style. Inglourious, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs had multiple storylines, non-linearity, non-linearity and a well utilized timeskip respectively. Django was just a straight up linear buddy action movie. But the only reason for that dissapointment was because Tarantino had set the standard high, and this set my expectations for Django. I would have loved Django more if it was from another director, I guess.

Huh, didn't realize until just now thanks to your criticism how uncharacteristically linear Django was compared to the rest of Tarantino's works. I didn't like the film all that much because I felt like it was kinda boring, though I loved much about it. Great quotes, great scenes, great story (as Scorsese would say, he prefers a good story over a good plot, because you know a plot after you've seen the movie once, but the story- the interactions of the characters, the emotional highs and lows of every scene -can get you every time), and great action. But just somehow, it didn't hold my interest to watch it every chance I get. The same could not be said of Pulp Fiction. While the dace scene bores me, I'm more than happy to sit through it to watch what follows.

But I really didn't care for Inglorious Basterds, that's for sure. Again, great all the above, but it didn't do much for me. Also the rewriting of history at the end was a major nail in the coffin. It just lacked that much weight when I realized the whole film hinged entirely on the self-aware knowledge that it was fictional, unlike the rest of his works, which could at least suspend disbelief convincingly. Having the mirror shoved right in your face dispels all illusions too obviously.

But Inglourious Basterds was never meant to be historical. Don't you know all of Tarantino's films take place in the Tarantinoverse?
Never said I thought it was meant to be historical. But it's alternate universe ending was TOO obviously fictional that it pulled me out of the movie. I'm not asking for a movie to be a historical documentary, just that if the actors are gonna break the fourth wall, do it in a manner like Fight Club and make it part of the film's gimmickry, don't use it like a soap opera's bad acting to just knock you out of your immersion and remind you you're watching a film.

But Inglourious Basterds was never meant to be historical. Don't you know all of Tarantino's films take place in the Tarantinoverse?
Never said I thought it was meant to be historical. But it's alternate universe ending was TOO obviously fictional that it pulled me out of the movie. I'm not asking for a movie to be a historical documentary, just that if the actors are gonna break the fourth wall, do it in a manner like Fight Club and make it part of the film's gimmickry, don't use it like a soap opera's bad acting to just knock you out of your immersion and remind you you're watching a film.

I didn't enjoy Inglorious Bastards very much. I hope he manages to do a better war movie someday. It was good but I think the subplot with the Nazi dude with a crush went on too long. It became more annoying than anything, and way too hokey near the end.

Every single Tarantino movie is hokey near the end.

*cocks pistol* AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKED INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS AROUND HERE?

I didn't enjoy Inglorious Bastards very much. I hope he manages to do a better war movie someday. It was good but I think the subplot with the Nazi dude with a crush went on too long. It became more annoying than anything, and way too hokey near the end.
Didn't even remember the "Nazi dude with a crush" part until I strained for a few seconds thinking about it after you mentioned it. The movie was THAT forgettable.

I like all tarantino movies I have seen so far which are the most popular ones i guess. Not all have the same quality, but they all are for me enjoyable.

It doesn't break the fourth wall just because you can't handle Hitler dying differently.

It doesn't break the fourth wall just because you can't handle Hitler dying differently.
It does in the sense that you realize this is just fantasy fulfillment, and suddenly you realize you're watching a movie. Breaking the fourth wall wasn't a phrase used to specifically refer to the act of acknowledging the audience. It was anything that pointed out that the fourth wall didn't exist. Bad camera angles. Terrible acting. Inconceivable scenarios. People speaking English with "x accents" instead of speaking "x", etc. There's all kinds of ways to break the fourth wall. Addressing the audience and acknowledging that they're there is just the most popular. But Hitler's body getting riddled with bullets to the point that his face explodes, while viscerally satisfying and amusing, just knocked that fourth wall down like a wrecking ball, for me, and turning the film into a cheap jerk off just nailed that coffin shut, for good.

By sharp contrast, Django's historically accurate frequency in using the term "nigger" casually and constantly was a form of immersion, for me, and I enjoyed that honesty of the film.

Last edited:
Tarantino movies are, and always have been, Modern exploitation movies, getting uppity about historical accuracy is kind of dumb. You wouldn't crticize the chalkboard scene in Black Dynamite as making no sense, because the movie is rebelling on that. Next thing is crticizing a Superman movie because men can't fly....

Watched "Gravity", and was impressed. It has a flaw here and there. The science-fact stuff I really don't care about. Why is it that the more realistic a movie gets, the more ruthlessly unforgiving everyone becomes, like Red Dwarf, nobody questions a damn thing "Waaait, hologram containing the memory of a dead person - ", but give them something that is a setting so real, it's more drama than sci-fi, and they begin to count blunders "Heeey, it would actually take several weeks of meticulous planning to reach that other space station!" FINE. Rewrite script: They died. *End credits*

I liked it! Sandra made me bite my nails as a kid watching Speed, then I sortof forgot about her, and now she made me bite my nails again! Good job!

Notice that the sounds you hear, are supposed to be "through her suit", like, there is no rumbling sound from the crashing space station whenever she floats next to it, only when she touches it. So, supposedly, all the sounds we hear - are from her point of view. But in the scene where she is spun away from earth, the camera enters her helmet, and now the sounds change again. There are two different kinds of sound, both of them supposedly audible only inside her helmet. TAKE THAT REALISM! IN YOUR FACE!!!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19323_6-movie-tv-universes-that-overlap-in-mind-blowing-ways.html said:
Since we've already linked Reservoir Dogs to Pulp Fiction, this means that almost every movie Tarantino has done is set in the Inglourious Basterds timeline. We could go even further and link all the rest through Tarantino's fake brands, like those Red Apple cigarettes that appear in a lot of his movies (including Kill Bill).

It makes a sort of sense when you think about it -- the world would be a very different place if Inglourious Basterds was historically accurate and everyone knew that the Nazis were defeated not through strategy and air power, but by sending a handful of pissed-off guys to [shoot hitler in the face]

If that's what you're taught in school, it's only natural that people should become desensitized to violence -- for some, shooting someone in the face would be something you could do as you're, say, making small talk about what type of hamburgers they have in Amsterdam.

Also, the fact that the Nazi high command was gunned down and/or burned alive during a hijacked film premiere would perhaps cause society to lend more importance to pop culture: It's no coincidence that the son of the man who killed Hitler in a movie theater went on to become an important film industry figure. If people constantly stop to talk about comic book characters or '70s rock music trivia during incongruous moments, that's because in this reality that's some important, history-changing shit.

You know I think it fits.

Last edited:
Terrible acting.
Christoph Waltz was great, excellent performance. Perhaps one of the best characters in all Tarantino movies IMO, surpassed only by Tim Roth and his crazy bellhop duder from Four Rooms. You are too harsh! :razz:

It didn't have enough pseudo intellectualism for him.

Only thingI didn't like in Interstellar was the tacked on "Going for that booty!" ending, there wasn't any romantic undertones between Cooper and the scientist and the movie just throws that sequence at the end. It almost feels like it was added post-script because test groups or executives asked for a romantic subplot or something.

Last edited:
Only thingI didn't like in Interstellar was the tacked on "Going for that booty!" ending, there wasn't any romantic undertones between Cooper and the scientist and the movie just throws that sequence at the end.

What? It was there from the start.

I agree with you, that whole part of the plot was largely unnecessary, but it was there from the beginning. Obligatory romance which doesn't seem so apparent but is there trope - check.

I didn't mind it that much though. At least we didn't get to see any smoochy, make-out scenes. That would make me puke.

I don't know, only thing I saw there was vitrol between the two and her being in love with some other dude that turned out to be dead, not that much overt romance between them.

Back