The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

That looks like some awesome model prototype of the DeLorean from Back to the Future.

The movie is from 1975, so the designs will have a certain flare to them. There are a lot of nifty "inventions" in the film, including that racing car which is the final result of the tinkering of the protagonist inventor, while the competing cars are also very nicely designed, more in line with racing at the time.

Speaking of Christmassy this-or-that and snow and all that jazz, I just saw Frozen for the first time a few days ago. After over a year of insistence from my sister to watch it, I got around to it on a quiet morning, and I enjoyed it. I preferred other films of Disney's over it, namely Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled, though I suppose it was better than Brave and a nice watch in general.

I liked that for the majority of the film there was no classic villain, and that the movie's "act of true love" wasn't the stereotypical prince+princess kissing. The film had some good messages, great animation, nice voice acting, delightful humor and characterization, and awesome musical numbers. It's a shame my young cousin is in her teens now, otherwise it would've been fun to watch it with her, cause she ADORED Disney princesses like crazy a few years ago as a kid. Nice watch for when you wanna just see some light-hearted fun and silly happy endings.

I just saw Frozen for the first time a few days ago. After over a year of insistence from my sister to watch it, I got around to it on a quiet morning, and I enjoyed it. I preferred other films of Disney's over it, namely Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled, though I suppose it was better than Brave and a nice watch in general.
I saw it about a month ago (I don't remember whether I mentioned that here or not) and I agree. Everything works in Frozen. It looks great, the jokes are funny, the songs are catchy and whatever "messages" the story has are simple and positive. It's a perfect movie for young girls.

It's supposed to be based on a story called The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. At least that's what it says in the credits.

I'm leery of the upcoming sequel.

BTW, my favorite Christmas movie is Ben Hur from 1959.

Last edited:
Oh, I liked Brave a lot better than Frozen, and I watched both the same day, for side-by-side comparison. I found Frozen very formularic and Disney-on-cue, while Brave, despite being a bit of a short, stumpy story, delivered a more compelling setting.

Well Brave was certainly more self-consistent in that EVERY character had an authentic, localized Scottish accent. Meanwhile only one character in Frozen spoke with a Scandanavian accent.

But while I didn't dislike Brave, I wouldn't say I preferred it over Frozen. I still prefer Wreck-It Ralph and/or Tangled over Frozen, but I did like Frozen. Though I wouldn't stop at saying it's a good movie for just young girls. I think Kristoff was a good role model for young boys, and him talking about "every guy does it" was healthily reaffirming for young boys. The movie never ostracized male behavior, but it had good, subtle demonstrations that the classical "true love" stereotypes aren't all they seem (ironic, considering it was Disney who built that up in the past) which is a great moral story for little girls. Just a good movie overall. Not terribly deep and thought-compelling, but not a stupid flick to waste your time that you feel ashamed to have watched.

I'm kinda behind on Disney movies... Frozen and The Princess And The Frog were the most recent ones I've seen, and I really enjoyed those. Especially the latter for its mostly traditional animation. Dunno why, I just prefer it, although CGI movies do look very good these days.

I usually love Disney movies and so does my wife, but we loathed Frozen with a passion. I can see how people liked it, but it was definitely not for us. I thought Princess and the Frog was better than that. At least it was funny at times. I think the upcoming Pixar movie Inside Out looks pretty interesting. I like the concept of having people inside your head controlling your actions. :look:

Let me see...recent movies of note:

The Equalizer- From the director of Training Day with Denzel Washington and Hitgirl in the lead. How could it go wrong? Well, it did drag a few times, mostly near the end when he goes for approval. I felt those scenes could have been done better, but overall I found it to be a really good Punisher movie. :mrgreen:

Housebound- I really can't emphasize enough how much people should watch this movie. It kept me on my toes that's for sure. Plus it's from New Zealand. I'm a sucker for good movies that aren't from the US. The story revolves around a thugish girl who gets into a lot of trouble with the law, so she is forced into house arrest at her annoying mothers house, which turns out to be a rather strange place to live. I can't go too much into the plot since it pulls a couple of fast ones on ya during the film. Needless to say the mystery of her mothers house and it's strange occurrences is near impossible to predict. It might seem like a standard haunting flick but it isn't.

The Interview- I had to watch this one because I'm a fan of Rogen and Franco. It wasn't a laugh out loud riot or anything, but I chuckled few times. Some of the forced laughs fell completely flat for me. Usually I like their brand of antics, but the jokes were very hit or miss. It's worth a watch, but don't see it in theaters. You will be disappointed.

Best Christmas movie for me is Die Hard part 1. Don't think it has any CGI in it, just this very gritty, realistic action. Nice camera angles and moves, fast cuts, brutal special effects. They don't make 'em like that anymore. :(
Amen.

I usually love Disney movies and so does my wife, but we loathed Frozen with a passion. I can see how people liked it, but it was definitely not for us.
You don't have to, but any chance you'd be willing to share your reasons why? =)

I really liked that it was another deviation away from the classic "true love = girl/princess and guy/prince" and that it was all about the two sisters' love for each other. One willing to sacrifice her own freedom for her sister's safety, and the other willing to throw her life away to save her sister. It built up that the moment of true love was going to be the kiss from her prince, then when that fell apart it built up that the moment would be with the person she spent the past few days with and "had an epiphany" she was loved by, and then at the last second she throws that away and the moment of true love turns out to be her sacrifice to save her sister. Again, this isn't really deep stuff, but what I liked about that was how much it deviated from that "established formula" of Disney's; that true love wasn't always something romantic between two members of the opposite sex.

That's what scored Frozen the most points for me, frankly. Being a little more honest, and a bit different.

Well, normally I like the songs in Disney movies, but Frozen really rubbed me the wrong way. I watched about half of it before I turned it off. It wasn't anything to do with the plot. I think a large part of it is the cgi. I really prefer the hand drawn animation from the older movies. I got so annoyed after every single song with Frozen though, so that is the main reason.

Die Hard is one of my favorite Christmas themed movies, along with Gremlins, and Home Alone.

Hmm. That's interesting. I guess I'd been "inoculated" against the songs because by the time I'd watched it I'd seen a number of "Frozen covers" for various songs meant for anime or Dota2 or something else I liked that'd make me watch it, and grinding my teeth at the amateur singing, as well as simply having heard "Let it goooooooo!" SO MANY TIMES this past year without having seen the actual film. So, by the time I saw the movie, the songs didn't win me over so much as they just couldn't bother me.

But while I don't necessarily agree with the gripe about Disney's CG efforts (I'm neutral towards em), I can understand that stance. I grew up on the classically animated films, and when I was progressing in art fields in college/university 10 years ago I stubbornly refused to delve into the quickly-growing digital field, because I believed in the traditional artisan craftsmanship of the hand-made illustration/animation. At the same time, done well, CG animation can just look plain nice. It stuck out poorly like a sore thumb in the 90s Spiderman cartoon, itlooked like a PART of the animation in the Stand Alone Complex GITS series, so as the years go by I see it improving and failing, and I just like seeing when it's "done right". I felt like Frozen didn't do it wrong, and the ice and snow effects were pretty, so it was okay with me. Again, the animation side of it was probably just "neutral" for me. Not bad, if not something I got excited over. But if presented 2 images that look virtually identical, and one was hand-drawn while the other was created using Photoshop and a pad, I'd admire and adore the hand-made one endlessly more than the digital production. But that's just me.

Home Alone still get me a bit choked up with the ending. Especially the old man who reunites with his family. I'm such a sissy some times.

Frozen is an okay film, but it has been blown up so out of proportion that I suspect they had subliminal messages in the movie or they laced the food with LSD for o many people to get so awed by the movie.

Honestly, catchy music is about all it really takes. Back in "the golden age" of Disney's yearly animated musicals, they were each big hits because they always had catchy songs. Or at least several. The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc. If you haven't heard those songs repeatedly over the internet more than 20 years later because they're so infectiously catchy that people online just INSIST on spreading them, you've basically been living under a rock. Rewind the clock to the time those films came out, and that catchiness was what made the films such beloved titles... or at least added to the reasons. Only with Frozen you got all that AND the full force of the internet as well. Just makes for a recipe for success anyway you slice it.

It bothered me the moment I learned the premise. Quite frankly, if they made the EXACT same movie, but the premise was a repeat of Species or something, I'd be much more interested. But the simple fact that "we only use 10% of our brains" is a completely false modern myth, and that AT ANY GIVEN TIME we use over 30% of our brain, and we easily use well over 90% on average any given day, and that the movie is based on that ridiculous myth, and that popularizing ridiculous myths like that in films without paying heed to the fact that it IS a myth, was all it really took for me to just not wanna see it. I mean, Scarlet Jo was AMAZING as Black Widow in the Marvel films, and I've got nothing against seeing her kick ass and look sexy doing it in any other movie. But when the premise is intellectually intolerable, one must stick to their principles.

So, in the end, the movie sucked, as well? I guess that's a good thing.

So Neill Blomkamp of District 9 fame was working on an Alien movie? Huh? What?

11lht00.jpg

And nobody even knew!

This would have made for one hell of a great scene:

2re2mad.jpg

'More' stuff here.

Last edited:
Back