Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Unveiled

Alright, so Nintendo is appealing to the downmarket. I don't mind playing those "downstream" genres with the exception of the last one on that list. The problem is, that those sorts of games are what Nintendo seems to be primarily focusing on. I like puzzle games a lot and I love side-scrolling platformers, but I haven't seen that sort of fare from Nintendo recently.

The guy who writes the article also has a bit on the complexity of Wii sports pointing out the physics. A physics engine is very much a very standard element of game design, and I wouldn't call much of Wii sports particularly deep. Sure, it was a cool demonstration of the Wii's motion controls but that's about it. I haven't touched my copy of Wii sports in ages.

So fine, Nintendo has a successful strategy that's making money. Unfortunately that strategy almost entirely consists of them releasing games that are meant for people who don't typically play games. And it isn't just the games themselves that indicate this, it's the marketing. Have you seen the recent commercials for DS and Wii games? Usually a couple of very normal people playing one of those "downstream" games? Not to say that gamers are typically abnormal in appearance but Nintendo really seems to be pushing this whole gaming for everyone thing which is fine if I didn't think it would contribute to a more worrying trend which is evidenced by Fallout 3.

Recently it seems like a lot of titles are being dumbed down or unoriginal games are being released simply to appeal to the widest possible audience, most of them already gamers. What happens when that audience is further expanded to people less and less willing to put any sort of significant commitment into learning a game? More dumbing down? It isn't so much marketing to non-gamers that worries me, but further widening the fanbase major developers are marketing to.

Of course maybe I'm just being a paranoid elitist who needs some sense knocked into him, but this is just my opinion.

What's common with the Fallout series and theoretically every movie series ever done?

1st and 2nd movies - good. Though as often only one of those is good, or marginally better.

Third is made by giving new approach, be it style, lore or atmospheric - generally considered bad or indifferent but by small niche accepted as the best.

By 4th the series take a sharp turn to shit - very often because its commercial potential, and the fact all the stuff has been done because 3 movies were enough plus it's been so fucking long time and/or there's been some revolution on movie making doctrines which would make it impossible to even consider doing thematically and aesthetically similar film - reaction is shock, but only for those who were born before the previous films (and watched them) and have an nostalgia factor on them.

Everything after 4th is still shit but is profitable since series was good at some point and that's enough for moviegoers.

Sooner or later it's bound to happen - some moron gets an idea of doing PREQUEL or "PART 0" or "HOW IT ALL STARTED" or the worst - FILM THE MOVIES AGAIN... you know how that ends... Sometimes the PREQUEL route takes it's own life and starts its own SEQUELS TO PREQUEL and then we are in so deep shit no one can save the situation anymore and you start to lose interest and hate the good movies which are partially to blame for starting this shitstorm of incredibly shit movies.

^ Have you seen Tropic Thunder? If not, check this out (exactly what you're talking about):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmLxFLsedI[/youtube]

Now wait till FO6 is out ^______^ Or better yet, why do Scorcher VI and Operation Anchorage somehow feel similar? :crazy:

^ It's kind of dumb, but all-around hilarious, and actually makes fun of a lot of stereotypes =)

That vid I posted is a "fake commercial" at the beginning of the movie.

BloodyPuppy said:
Yeah, I just wish Nintendo would make some games for gamers. I'm looking forward to MadWorld though, and The Conduit might be okay.
Nintendo tries to make fun games that everyone, casual and hard-core, can enjoy. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they fail. It's fine that they make more general audience games because they are the console manufacturer and want to ensure that their product is as appealing as possible, the problem is that they drove off most of the mature third-party developers with the N64 (refusal to use CDs, particularly drove off JRPG developers) and GameCube (way too strict of policies) which has left them pretty dry for hard-core targeted game developers. That said, the current gen of consoles are all pretty dry for must own console exclusive games.

What annoys me is the screenshot of the soldier wearing power armor with an assault rifle slung on his back.

In an army that had access to power armor and advanced laser (and even plasma) weaponry, why on earth would soldiers be sent into battle with a crummy AK-47?

It's a G3, not an AK. And IIRC, energy-based weapons were only recently developed before the nuclear war destroyed everything.

Bosk said:
What annoys me is the screenshot of the soldier wearing power armor with an assault rifle slung on his back.

In an army that had access to power armor and advanced laser (and even plasma) weaponry, why on earth would soldiers be sent into battle with a crummy AK-47?
I would hope though to see the Fallout 1 Plasma and Lazerrifles again in action ... they look I think alot better to the laser and plasma rifle in Fallout 3 ... but somehow I have my doubts.

(if what we have seen in the pic is REALLY the gauss rifle ... then I think they did really a bad job on it)

Crni Vuk said:
(if what we have seen in the pic is REALLY the gauss rifle ... then I think they did really a bad job on it)

Pretty sure it's a Gauss Rifle, but yeah: it looks too modern. The one from FO2 had a very distinct 50's feel to it (like that blaster in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - a very enjoyable movie, btw).

The screens look horrible. Nuclear green hue of FO3 --> Polar blue hue of Anchorage DLC. This game is becoming a joke.

Brother None said:
Sky Captain was shit. Stylistically that movie was pretty rad, tho'
Explains why I have no fucking clue of this movie's existence till now. And what is with all the filters? I'm getting pretty bored of them. And I guess the bloom is expected. The Power Armor is all shiny and new and there is snow and ice everywhere.

UncannyGarlic said:
BloodyPuppy said:
Yeah, I just wish Nintendo would make some games for gamers. I'm looking forward to MadWorld though, and The Conduit might be okay.
Nintendo tries to make fun games that everyone, casual and hard-core, can enjoy. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they fail. It's fine that they make more general audience games because they are the console manufacturer and want to ensure that their product is as appealing as possible, the problem is that they drove off most of the mature third-party developers with the N64 (refusal to use CDs, particularly drove off JRPG developers) and GameCube (way too strict of policies) which has left them pretty dry for hard-core targeted game developers. That said, the current gen of consoles are all pretty dry for must own console exclusive games.

It isn't really helping that the games Nintendo is marketing to non-gamers kind of suck. I direct your attention to exhibit A:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/hH37qRGM9kFrndz-ibsi4vJOcXFRZIzM

An extreme example? Sure, but most of the other games Nintendo has been releasing haven't been that much better.

alec said:
Crni Vuk said:

Pretty sure it's a Gauss Rifle, but yeah: it looks too modern. The one from FO2 had a very distinct 50's feel to it (like that blaster in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - a very enjoyable movie, btw).

The screens look horrible. Nuclear green hue of FO3 --> Polar blue hue of Anchorage DLC. This game is becoming a joke.

It's not a gauss rifle, it's a railgun! (well that's what it looks like anyway)

Ausdoerrt said:
alec said:
Crni Vuk said:

It's not a gauss rifle, it's a railgun! (well that's what it looks like anyway)
It's a railgun. That's why there's a barrel shroud. Unless Bethesda doesn't know shit about guns and put it on there for teh lulz. My guess is that it's going to shoot a laser.

The filename of the official PR is "gauss", so I think it's supposed to be a gauss rifle.

It's what the coils are for, right?

Brother None said:
The filename of the official PR is "gauss", so I think it's supposed to be a gauss rifle.

It's what the coils are for, right?
Well both use coils, I'm just saying that the gun, at least in principal would have no need for a barrel shroud if it was a real gauss rifle.

alec said:
That and the fucking electricity around the electro magnets. That screen looks like he's firing fucking electricity and not a flechette round.

Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting Bethesda's continuation of the Fallout franchise, but will the three DLCs/expansions; Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, and Broken Steel, also be released on DVD?

Back