Fallout 4 announced with official trailer

For hardline old-schoolers: what are you doing to cope with the fact that there are now going to be more FPS-style games then Iso/turn-based style games?
I've focused my interest on smaller indie developers and upcoming games as Underrail or Age of Decadence. Morrowind was the last bethesdian game I've played and I'm not going to buy any other bethesdian stuff, ever. Todd won't fool me again!
Respect!

For hardline old-schoolers: what are you doing to cope with the fact that there are now going to be more FPS-style games then Iso/turn-based style games?
Odd. Reads like a question from ten years ago. Today, we have a lot more Iso style games then 5-10 years ago. Heck, there were no Iso style games 5-10 years ago. Now we have Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and the new Torment comming up. Not turn-based, but oh well - I think 20 years after the hay days of turn-based games, getting our own little niche is more then I ever dared to dream.

From indie developers, yeah. But when you're looking at high profile game developers and publishers, there are not that many iso or iso-like games, even less if you throw turn based in to it.

The industry has simply majured, to say it like that, with companies like EA, Ubisoft and well Bethesda spending a lot of resources on stuff like market research and advertising. I doubt that something like business economics was really a very high priority when Will Wright made his first Sim City in 1989 or that there was some extensive market research going before they made Diablo 1. Gaming was a niche back than. Something for geeks and nerds mostly. Today it has become as broad like movies - one of the many reasons why I think that the term "gamer" is a bit antiquated just as how you don't really call someone a cineast anymore.

The quality of gaming has definitely increased a lot, no doubts about that. I don't hate popular games and big companies. Assasins Creed, Deus Ex Human revolution, GTA, Batman Arkham City and many more titles which are incredible games, and there is no way that those games would have been made without a very high budged and big teams. I just don't see Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity really done by one of the big publishers either, well definitely not on Kickstarter. Particularly when you consider that something like Turn Based or "hardcore" RPG elements are seen as something that can't sell milions of copies.

The great thing is that games like Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity and many other kick starter projects give big publishers a bit of preasure. It's a very fast growing market after all. I always have the hope that more of it will rub off on the AAA industry.

Format doesn't really matter to me, if the game is good. The Fallout universe has a great collection of elements that can be placed in a number of game types. Just have fun with it ya know?

Edit: should have clarified that last question only pertained to Fallout games, not the entire industry! I see a significant amount if Iso dev going on lately too.

Sure. No problem with that. Call it spin offs. Happens with movies as well. The issue is that Fallout 3 and 4 are Sequels. Fallout isn't my life though, yeah, Bethesda owns it and they can do what ever they like. Hey! We are just discussing stuff here after all. It's still a bit sad.

Though, when it comes to Fallout I do believe the best experience can be achieved if it folows the footsteps of Fallout 1 and 2. With the gameplay and the story telling. I love turn based combat. And Fallout could be even today done in a way where it is using awesome graphics and improved gameplay. Imagine something similar to Jagged Alliance as far as turn based combat goes. It's all hypotethical of course. I am not saying TB combat is better comared to real time FPS gameplay. They are both equall in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't even like Fallout 3, but don't you fine people think you're putting the cart before the horse as far as how bad it'll be? At least wait until E3 when you have some tangible details to rag on.

Keep in mind that even if they pander to FO3's audience (which they most certainly will), what those people want is more of the same. I highly doubt that they'll kill SPECIAL, and if Skyrim being better than Oblivion is anything to go on, it might at least be a touch better than the tripe they put out in 2008.

Until then :falloutonline:

You're in Denial but Hey, Will you help me promote my petition to have Todd Howard be the Vault Dweller??

I never played Oblivion, did it also have only 3 stats you could boost per level up?

No, but because they removed the dice roll system, all combat skills did were give a damage bonus, and unlock some direction power attacks. They weren't much different than the perks. The quests were better, but the art design, and level scaling were atrocious.

I've focused my interest on smaller indie developers and upcoming games as Underrail or Age of Decadence.

How do you like the two of those games? I've been thinking about purchasing Underrail.

Once again: the only "hostility" I've seen is here is, oddly enough, SOLELY directed towards people who have expressed that *gasp!* they didn't particularly like the trailer.
[..]

*Sighs* I thought to avoid this topic, but fuck it.. I completely disagree. Sure there are few FO3 fanboys (that we haven't scared off, yet) ridding the hipe train, however, they are few and easy to ignore.

Meanwhile there are far more posts that has little, if at all, todo with the trailer. By posters who use the stage the trailer provided to repeat the same thing that they have been saying for years.. (or even troll FO3 fanboys to humiliate and dominate) Beside this masturbation its NMA, so skepticism and pessimism is our rule of engagement when it comes to Beth games.

Now considering that this trailer represent the first real news on FO universe future in a LONG while, can you understand how all this off topic masturbation and skepticism can be seen as toxic negativity... Also just in case, I am not implying that skepticism toward and criticism of beth is undeserved, only that there is a time and place for everything..

Last edited:

This sentence here perfectly describes the issue I have with posters like yourself.

The issue we have with 3 isn't the fact it is a FPS, the issue we generally have is that the writing is really shitty and the storyline is juvenile.

The fact it's not a turn based RPG is directly at the bottom of the list of grievances with Fallout 3, at least for myself.

Or the fact that it would be beyond sick if Fallout had a jizztrillion dollar, Triple A budget behind it for graphics, writing, story, quests, history research, voice acting, sound production. Should I keep going?

This sentence here perfectly describes the issue I have with posters like yourself.

The issue we have with 3 isn't the fact it is a FPS, the issue we generally have is that the writing is really shitty and the storyline is juvenile.

The fact it's not a turn based RPG is directly at the bottom of the list of grievances with Fallout 3, at least for myself.

Exactly. I think New Vegas is great. I'm still working on my pacifist playthrough, but the crazy thing is when I did play around with the combat, I seemed to prefer to just shoot things as if it were purely fps combat and hardly touched VATS which makes the combat way too simple. The fps fighting is more of a challenge and more suited for how I would play either FO3 or NV in a combat situation. *shrug*

Meanwhile there are far more posts that has little, if at all, todo with the trailer.By posters who use the stage the trailer provided to repeat the same thing that they have been saying for years...

Oh well. I am curious why.

Also just in case, I am not implying that skepticism toward and criticism of beth is undeserved, only that there is a time and place for everything..
And when is this right time and place you're talking about
ugly.gif

Last edited:
To respond to mdf_365, the newest version of D&D(5.0) has been "scratching that itch" for me so to speak. But not sure you were talking about non video games per se.

To respond to mdf_365, the newest version of D&D(5.0) has been "scratching that itch" for me so to speak. But not sure you were talking about non video games per se.

Wholly off topic, but I've been meaning to do some research on the latest edition. How does it compare to 3rd and 4th edition, just as reference?

And 99,99% of the mods will be pink powerarmors and new weapons/stuff/models.
i think you mean nudity and sex mods

As long the nudinity has a context I don't have any problem at all with it.
I actually like it, but I'm a exhibitionist (and perv), so my opinion is biased.

Take Nymphomaniac from Lars von Trier for example, there's tons of nudity and sex but all have a context to it.
I granted is a long movie and not for everyone's taste, but even the hardcore scenes of the unrated edition are related to what you are seeing.
And the end of the movie really got me by surprise, I f***ing loved what Joe (Charlotte Gainsbourg) did in the end. :D

wake me up when Bethesda files for bankruptcy

Well, I really hope you are rich and have money for a cryogenic chamber, because Bethesda will be here for a long time.
Unfortunately. :yuck:

As for Fallout 4... well, it's Bethesda. No matter what people think of the game, expect lots of moments of retardation with no logical explanation whatsoever of what's happening, no choice about anything, a lot of psychological and neural-science tricks for entertaining the audience and full dumb "mature" explanations.

Well, at least I have Cyberpunk to hope for and there's Shadowrun Hong Kong in a few days, so not everything is lost.

*Sighs* I thought to avoid this topic, but fuck it.. I completely disagree. Sure there are few FO3 fanboys (that we haven't scared off, yet) ridding the hipe train, however, they are few and easy to ignore.
I would agree if not I'm seeing the direct opposite on the very youtube vid shows FO3 fanatics screaming at one another about 'erect penises', 'jizzing in pants and noses', and when someone makes a small comment about the trailer that's 'meh', he/she is instantly told to be killed off and insulted. "Few and easy to ignore" I have to say is bullshit. Seems the more intelligent ones are quite rare in the sea of mediocrity.

Unless you mean NMA, then yeah, those idiots are rare here.

Last edited:
I would agree if not I'm seeing the direct opposite on the very youtube vid shows FO3 fanatics screaming at one another about 'erect penises', 'jizzing in pants and noses', and when someone makes a small comment about the trailer that's 'meh', he/she is instantly told to be killed off and insulted. "Few and easy to ignore" I have to say is bullshit. Seems the more intelligent ones are quite rare in the sea of mediocrity.

Unless you mean NMA, then yeah, those idiots are rare here.

Both fanboys are bad imo. As both Fo3 fanbois and Fo 1/2 fanbois can be ignorant. But honestly NMA gets a bad rap as Fo3 haters. Sure the game isn't popular here but most people aren't dicks about it.

All fanbois are bad

Back