Fallout 4 coming out on November 10, free mobile spin-off out now

I think the best game we can hope for is to Fo3 what Skyrim was to Oblivion. Until a spinoff gets made.

I think Skyrim was pretty unique in many ways. It's the only bethesda game I can remember in which you truly played someone special. You were just not a random guy who happend upon adventure and fame and fortune, but you were actually the "legendary dragonborn" and destined to great things.

Like in Morrowind where the emperor sends you to the isle because you have been born under a special star or something.

In F3 your father is kinda special and you're helping him and then finishing his work. You know, when you leave the vault the whole wasteland seems to know your dad.

Last edited:
Actually, they consider it semi-canon, not non-canon
Really? I'm sure they said that Tactics is non-canon before F3 was out. But it's cool if we can expect some references to FT, I guess.

I believe what they said was that they consider Fallout: Tactics to be completely non-canon unless mentioned in canon games. Same thing with Van Buren- which is how we know the war between the NCR and BoS happened, but whether Vesper attempted to rain nuclear fire down on California, or whether he existed in the first place isn't considered canon (yet anyway).

Bethesda took the stance with Tactics, from what I remember, due to the numerous contradictions in the storyline.

So the Chicago BoS may get mentioned- but I doubt the BoS will be from 'Vault 0'

Rex is pretty different, he even has a quest related to him. Also he is not just a generic dog like Dogmeat is.
The problem here is laziness on Bethesda's part and their poor understanding of lore. They just cling to some rather generic things to put in every Fallout game, like the BOS, Enclave and Dogmeat and they just sem to transplant them without reason or cause. Why can't they just make up new factions or companions? Codworth is actually a more interesting character there, but they focused on the Dog, people seem to think there can't be a Fallout game without Dogmeat (Fo3 fans mostly) and they even made him immortal. It's just kind of an additional gripe I have on top of what they did to the core systems.

I think that was to try and appeal to the old fans, honestly. Most new players wouldn't care if it was the 'Enclave' or 'New United States' or whatever.

As for Dogmeat in FO3, he wasn't just any dog: He is a descendant of the original Dogmeat :twitch:

How Dogmeat's offspring (and Harold. And Jet for that matter) wound up on the East Coast when they don't have any trade... who the hell knows.

It's obviously not the same dogmeat. The problem is that Bethesda seems to think that they have to crowbar in a dog called Dogmeat in every game just because he existed in the first Fallout.

Beth made a conscious decision to bring all elements of its new IP to its West coast, FPP, open-world reboot. Deal with it, there is no point rehashing this with every single one of them..

Also found by max's body, the dog is both a homage to the originals (according to the Vault it was supposed to be a random encounter) and a reference to one of the more iconic examples of a faithful canine companion in a post-apoc setting. I can't think of a better example and to the vast majority of people who played any Fallout game it was the only reference.

I am not sure of the dog in FO4 is called Dogmeat as well, I only seen that it is encountered when we emerge from the dilapidated ruins of our former lives.

It's like with one of those Comic book continuations of tv shows, they just love quoting the show ad nauseum just to show how much like the show they are....

Roger, maybe you are getting too old for this shit ?

Todd Howard already confirmed that the dog will be called Dogmeat.
Also I am 24,no idea how I can be old for this? Only old people can have standards?

Does even the Codex like us? Last time I went there someone said that we got hijacked by FO3 fans.

actually, i haven't even lurked here since wasteland 2 was released, but checked back since fallout 4 was announced. and yes, NMA has become a breeding ground for FO3 fans in combination with bethesda and bioware fanboys. if you can't see this i think you need to step back for a moment and re-examine your surroundings. having not been active here in quite some time the difference is jarring and i can't help but wonder if it's related to the absence of brother none since he left for greener pastures. at any rate, the assessment from the codex appears to be an accurate one.

have fun with fallout 4 though, hope you find your baby and fight the good fight or whatever you guys think passes for good writing...

So there is a Synth with a trenchcoat on, do you guys think they finally fixed the rig so the lower part of coats and capes actually flow an move like what they are, or do you think they are still rigged to the Leg bones so they move like just extra layered pants or weird gelatinous membranes?

In F3 your father is kinda special

Different kind of special.

Does even the Codex like us?

Consensus seems to be that

1. NMA is like totally dead, since we don't get 500+ page threads.
2. We're under an SJW regime.
3. The forum has declined, no longer being close enough to the good old days.

emil, the lead writer
emil, the lead writer
emil, the lead writer
emil, the lead writer

Last edited:
"You are having a quiet moment with your dog, then th right song comes in your pipboy and action breaks out, that's what Fallout is"
So, to Howard Fallout is just killing people to the tune of 50's music...... great....
That's not what he said. He said that scenario "reminds you how fun a Fallout game can be," which is very different and accurate in my opinion. Running around the wasteland to the Ink Spots killing Super Mutants is pretty fun.

As for the game, I'm cautiously optimistic. The settlement-building, weapon modding, and layered armor system are cool features. VATS looks better (mainly that it slows time rather than stops it), and the world looks more dynamic and colorful than Fallout 3's.

On the other hand, the Mass Effect-style dialogue wheel really limits the ability to use skill checks in conversation, and that's provided there are even skills. Provided they've turned them into perks, how will they work? Will I spend half of my allotted perks being able to use guns efficiently? Or will the level cap be higher? Either way, I find that unfortunate. I was hoping they'd at least use Skyrim's system, if not keep Fallout's traditional style. And yet the gaming publications and mass public will obviously laud Bethesda's changes when the game releases. I guess the dialogue wheel makes dealing with companions easier like in New Vegas. I hope they're just as interesting as well.

I'm willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt on the plot for now. Playing before the Great War, even minimally, is cool, but the fact that your character survived 200 years and is totally healthy (unlike, say, Mr. House) is definitely going to warrant an explanation. And great, more BOS and Vault 87 super mutants (at least they're greener). As long as the former is more in line with the West Coast BOS and the latter isn't a big part of the plot, I could deal.

All in all, the game should at least be fun. Bethesda games usually are. Whether it'll be a worthy Fallout game and a sophisticated RPG is another matter entirely. Hopefully Bethesda learned from Obsidian.

Yay jet packs. I swear though, if one more person refers to the dog in the trailer as Dogmeat. Why can't it just be another dog???

Also, sorry if this is a long block with no spaces. I'm on my phone.

It's obviously not the same dogmeat. The problem is that Bethesda seems to think that they have to crowbar in a dog called Dogmeat in every game just because he existed in the first Fallout.

Beth made a conscious decision to bring all elements of its new IP to its West coast, FPP, open-world reboot. Deal with it, there is no point rehashing this with every single one of them..

Bethesda's complete lack of creativity and lazy understanding of franchise lore is definitely one of the legitimate gripes with FO3. If they're continuing the trend in FO4, then it's a topic worth discussing.

A long as you understand that decision and that Bethesda made it cannon, then go ahead...

Bethesda has already serious trouble understanding AND staying true to the loore of their own franchise - aka the Elder Scrolls. Heh, they would never let something like fun geting in the way of something as stooopid like Loore.

So there is a Synth with a trenchcoat on, do you guys think they finally fixed the rig so the lower part of coats and capes actually flow an move like what they are, or do you think they are still rigged to the Leg bones so they move like just extra layered pants or weird gelatinous membranes?

Membranes me thinks.

Does even the Codex like us?

Consensus seems to be that

1. NMA is like totally dead, since we don't get 500+ page threads.
2. We're under an SJW regime.
3. The forum has declined, no longer being close enough to the good old days.

Funny, when I went and read their forums out of morbid curiosity all I saw was people making fun of people who have mental disorders, like mental retardation and autism, declaring that all female gamers are yaoi fan girls and declaring that The Witcher games are one of the worst games ever and CD Projeck Red are hacks(Despite what some people think, one can at lest respect CD for trying to put effort into their writing or their ethics in making all their DLC's free.). Suffice to say they are the 4chan of video game forums.

Back